1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wander, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In school, I hear a lot of silly things people give up for this holiday no one told me about until I was 10 - the most common ones are caffeine drinks, television, or iPods. I guess somehow not drinking Coke gets you a more personal relationship with the Sky Lawd.

Maybe it's just my irreverent nature, but I take on new sins for Lent. I eat all the bacon I can find, sleep in two hours later, do all my work on Sunday, and masturbate about five times as often. Do something daring!

...anyone?

2. starfish

I was planning to start smoking, so that I would have something to give up for Lent.

3. Greggers

I should do the coke one, screw whatever reasons for doing it cause it would make me so much more healthy...even though it would be diet coke i would be going off of.

Ive never done lent, and dont plan to. Im not one for rituals, traditions or most holidays, mainly because im lazy, but also because id rather not plan my life around these things like some people tend to.

If i had to give up something....diet coke
    If i had to take up something....more diet coke (om nom nom)

4. Paralyzer

HAHAHAHA
    Wander, you are too funny xD
    As for me, I'm not participating... directly at least.
    Our lower budget should ammend for Lent. Ugh, I can't afford gas anymore.

5. Emberstone

my parents never had my brother or me do lent. I think because we saved our money, and didnt it spend it on things we didnt need so that if something came up, or we had a repair that needed to be done, it didnt effect our budget.

thats also why we only took proper vacations evcery 3-6 years.

6. RaRa

My friend Sophie does it EVERY year...how she manages to go 40 days without any animal products is beyond me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But i'd never do it...I have weak willpower. xD

7. Blaz

Blaz Guest

More and more people are doing it for the sake of not religion, but self-discipline. It's a type of self-fulfillment/proof, the same kind that comes from running. In the end, the results are usually great.

Giving up isn't necessarily what's "required", some people decide to take up beneficial things as well/instead.

. . .and quite honestly, anyone who tries to destroy someone else's will power, faith, or benevolent intentions(i.e. eating meat/being obnoxious towards those who do wish to accomplish something beneficial) is as weak and cynical as they come. . .

I know it may seem strange, but small things(like caffeine, soda, etc.) can lead up to great things. . .I've seen this happen time and time again.

-Blaz

8. ricoca

My family used to go "no meat" for the 5 weeks on Fridays only.
    I never remembered that I have to abstain from meat on Fridays...
    which remind me i have to go to church this Sunday...

9. Iceeh

Heh, I'm not Christian, but I've been wanting to go vegetarian for a while now, so I'm using Lent as an excuse. ^^