1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexual orientation fixed or fluid?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Multiverse, Jun 15, 2016.

?

Sexual orientation is...?

1. Fluid

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Fixed

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. For some people fluid, for some people fixed

31 vote(s)
    58.5%
  4. I don't know

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Multiverse

Multiverse Guest

Hello everyone,

I would like to see your views on sexual orientation. Do you believe that sexual orientation is fluid, fixed or something in between? I have no intention to debate anyone over this issue, nor I have any intention to express my views on this, or any other topic :slight_smile:

If is possible, please explain your view after you vote in the poll, thanks.

1. Sexual orientation is 'fluid': No one is born 100% gay or 100% straight, everyone is on the spectrum between 1%-99%. (In theory) Everyone can become either straight or gay during their lifetime. Sexual orientation is influenced by many factors, including, but not limited to: environment, culture, worldview, lifestyle (etc.) Biological factor is only one of many.

2. Sexual orientation is 'fixed': All people are born either 100% straight or 100% gay(or 50%-50%, 40%-60% or vice versa). No one can become either gay or straight during their lifetime. Sexual orientation is completely determined and it's influenced only by biological factors. Culture, worldview, personal beliefs, environment do not and cannot have any impact on one's sexual orientation.

3. Sexual orientation is for the majority of people fixed, but for some people is fluid: Majority of people are either born (100%) straight or (100%) gay, but for some small portion of people, sexuality is fluid. The majority of people can never become gay/ or straight, no matter what, but some people can become gay/ or straight during their lifetime.

4. I don't know: This option does not require an explanation :slight_smile:

And let me ask one additional question: In your opinion, how many people are LGBT?

Don't google it, no cheating allowed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How many people are LGBT? It depends on how many sexuality types or gender identities we allow into the LGBT. If we go by Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender *only*, I'd say 11% [10% for LGB, 1% for T]. If we are allowing asexual, non-binary, gender non-conforming, romantic love, intersex [and so on], I'd say something around 20%. Doesn't sound like much of a gap, but the ones not listed foremost are probably less in number than the first four. And gender non-conforming can change overtime as what is considered 'conforming' for a gender can change, and between cultures. Then if we include cishet allies into the LGBT, then maybe 60% [isn't it bad I started with 100% then realized not everyone is LGBT and/or a cishet ally], but this can increase as more people become accepting.

My side question is: where do LGBT people who are anti-LGBT go? I mean, their sexuality or gender falls into LGBT, but then they hate the LGBT [and therefore their own identity].

I'm inclined to say that for the most part it is fixed and for some it is fluid, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Although I might be considering 'fluid' is really just becoming aware of what was always there but didn't know, and it might change as you become aware / forget [because life goes on and if it's not a big struggle you probably won't think of it often] of what your identity is. Not sure then. Side question: If it's not directly affecting the individual person asking, does it matter?

#2 Secrets5, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mine is fixed. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've found who I am and that will never change :slight_smile:

4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I see it, sexual orientation is fixed if viewed in the biological sense. A person is born with a certain orientation and that part of themselves will never change outside of rare cases in which a person suffers a brain trauma or something similar. However, this does not mean that sexuality doesn't change, a person can believe that they are heterosexual for most of their life and later on learn they are actually bisexual or homosexual. This is ths social and cultural influences coming into play and what I view as a person's sexual identity. A person's sexual identity commonly changes throughout a person's life and is consderded to be fluid. In practical sense, all that really matters socially is a person's sexual identity. What this means is that the label we adopt to express our orientation is fluid and not set in stone, a bisexual person can identify as heterosexual for a period of time and change to homosexual later on, they might technically, biologically speaking be bisexual but their identity is what really matters at any specific point in time.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mostly fixed, but can be somewhat fluid.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The fact that it's fluid for some people means you can't say human sexuality is fixed. Anyway, orientation is a relatively recent phenomenon, and given the vast number of differences from individual to individual, makes these categorizations limited. You have to wade through so much social conditioning, since we are influenced by ideas like "only sex with penis is real sex" and "all women are bisexual, men are either gay or straight".

7. Plattyrex

Idk. Mine is seemingly fluid I think, as I never liked girls at all before and now I'm at a point where I almost like them as much as boys. Idk if it's really triggered by anything though, as I'm pretty sure and older woman molested me when I was younger, and I was getting sexually harrassed by a girl on a near daily basis when I started liking girls, so I'm pretty sure nothing happened that would just make me start taking interest in girls. Maybe I've always had these feelings to an extent and just repressed them, bjt at the same time there is absolutely nothing tht would lead to me not wanting to suppress them anymore. If anything, I'd want to further suppress them. So my guess is that my sexuality is absolutely fluid to and extent. I have no idea if this would be the same for everyone though, so idk.

8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that sexuality of many people has the potential to be fluid and change; and for some people it simply will always remain one way. There's no one right answer that will capture all the nuances of everyone's sexualities.

9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe it can either be fixed or fluid, depending on the person. Human beings are diverse and that goes for everything.

Even if it was 100% fluid, I would be fine with that, but I'm only not fine with others forcing kinsey 0 and 6 people to "open up". This is my only hesitation with saying it is fluid (since I know gays/lesbians are forced sometimes to try the opposite sex). So I guess sexuality is a lot like food. Maybe someone dislikes pepperoni pizza, and maybe that same person will learn to love the taste one day, but maybe they'll also hate it until they die. However, we can't force people to love pizza if they currently don't. That's up to them to figure out on their own, and their current preference should be respected.

10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine is entirely fluid. I have never been totally gay or totally straight in my life, as much as I may have wanted to be. I'm not sure, but I think living with my alpha-male father for so long may have pushed me towards lesbian, because I certainly didn't always lean that way. In fact, for my youth I preferred guys, though I also liked girls.
    I can't speak for everyone though. I just can't imagine being fixed.

11. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Mine's fixed. As far as I can tell anyway.

12. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    id say, even if a child was born with a fixed orientation, their orientation could still be affected pyschologically if they were molested by another child or an adult or even physically and/or emotionally abused..so, i believe many factors tie into what determines ones orientation and therefore, can change...

13. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe like 2.5% of people are LGBTQIAA+.. This is a guess

#13 SillyGoose, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Intellectually, I abhore black-and-white thinking. Why does it have to be either or? I think it's common to be born mostly straight or mostly gay, but that circumstances and outside influence can affect who you're attracted to. Note that even biologists often take this stance.

My sexuality is quite fluid, I've found. I'm mostly straight, I'd say, but then maybe I'll see a cute girl and I'll be like "ah mah gahd she cute" for a while and stuff...

I think it can differ how fluid someone's sexuality is, but I do think most people have some fluidity, although perhaps with some that fluidity is so minor that it isn't really worth mentioning.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None of the poll questions really capture the nuance of the situation.

The research and consensus of thinking is pretty clear as far as the field goes: orientation is fixed to the extent that someone doesn't change from straight to gay or vice-versa. But Kinsey's research (subsequently validated by others) showed that only about 10% of the population is at the far end of the spectrum (gay or straight), and most everyone else is on the continuum.

So, for example, if you're a Kinsey 5 on the scale (0-6), you're a Kinsey 5. You are unlikely to later in life become a Kinsey 2 or 3 or whatever. But Kinsey 5's can have occasional attraction to opposite-sex partners.

The main place people get tripped up is considering orientation fluidity because this opens the door to the (mistaken) idea that people's sexuality can change. If you're straight, you're straight. If you're gay you're gay (given that both of those terms are shorthand for people that are somewhere on the Kinsey spectrum.)

People who are "straight" until they're 18 or 25 or 35 or whatever but then "become" gay didn't change orientation; they remained in denial (which is very common) and nearly always, once they've fully accepted themselves, realize that, much earlier in life, there were signs they were gay, but those signs weren't interpreted as such due to denial.

16. Plattyrex

I don't know how true that is. I know for a fact that I wasn't attracted to girls in the slightest until the last 6 months or so.

17. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean I always known that I liked guys since I was little so, I don't know. This makes me think of Jackson, maybe his sexuality is fluid.

18. cakepiecookie

I can only speak for myself, but for me it's pretty much fixed. I tend to swing back and forth a bit within a certain range, but I always say within that range, if that makes sense.

I don't know for sure about other people, but based on what I've seen, most people are pretty fixed. I think apparent changes in sexuality may actually just be people realising things about themselves that they hadn't realised before. I couldn't say for sure though.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But that also begs the question as to why some are able to come out to themselves earlier, even under the same conditions. Some say, "How could you *not* know? I *knew* in first grade!" or argue that such folks aren't "really gay"...

It also makes me wonder what makes someone butch/flaming, while others aren't so much, or why some are tops and others are bottoms. Maybe they're not related at all!

20. redstreak23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think Its fluid. Everybody has RAINBOW in them