1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So- let's talk mental disorders.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cow, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Cow

Cow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I mean if you have one.

I myself have anxiety and OCD (strictly intrusive thoughts) and have been struggling with it since I was 14.

I developed it when I was alone for too long and had too much time to myself. I'm gonna be getting medication for it soon, tho.

Through my life since then, it hasn't been the same. It's constantly feels like I'm arguing with another person who finds loopholes and sometimes says things that don't make any sense but still affects me anyways.

The OCD makes sure that I don't stop thinking about it either. The longest I've thought about something I didn't want in my head is 10 months, and other things have stemmed from it.

Things like...I can't handle heat that well, when my anxiety is on full blast, strangers make me very uncomfortable and I feel like I have to vomit. I sometimes assume left and right about everything when my anxiety is on full blast as well. I'm pretty sure I have SAD and social anxiety, but, I have no idea.

What about you? If you're comfortable sharing, what are your disorders like and what was it like when you first developed them?

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I have depression, but have yet to be diagnosed. My parents don't want me to go to the doctors and get diagnosed because they don't believe that depression is real. I just started feeling really low, and then I lost interest in things I like doing. It was like nothing could cheer me up. I'd either binge eat or just not eat at all without any real reason, and I was self harming. I couldn't sleep and I always felt numb emotionally :/ Turns out these are all symptoms of depression. I was really badly suicidal for a while, but I'm getting a little better recently, and even though I'm not sure if it will ever go away, I'm glad that my self harming days are over. Hopefully I'll feel like myself one day soon

3. Cow

Cow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, I hope you get better real soon. I went through a spell of depression when my anxiety made me dysfunctional and all I could really do was sleep because I had no energy.

I'm hoping the best for you!

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have Aspegers Syndrome, a high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder. Also, I was recently diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety.

I've know about the former condition for several years. There are pros and cons. On the one hand, I'm rubbish at socializing, emoting, and acting like a normal adaptable human. I have sensory sensitivities and a clinginess to routine. But when it comes to my special areas of expertise, I'm brilliant. :wink:

Depression and anxiety, well, you know how those work.

#4 Kodo, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  5. Plattyrex

I have a really bad anxiety disorder and depression. My therapist thinks I'm also on the autistic spectrum, but that hasn't actually been diagnosed so idk. I have to take medicine for my anxiety and depression, but it's stupid medicine and I hate it. It pretty much takes away all of my feelings and makes me feel all empty. Honestly sometimes I think the medication is worse than the anxiety and depression.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2016 at 09:11 AM ----------

Please try to get help (*hug*). Even if your parents don't like it, they need to understand and respect tht it's real. I waited way too long to get treated and it ended up leading to a suicide attempt. I don't know how extreme your depression is, but it's a really serious issue and if something really bad happens it can get much worse. If there is any way at all for you to get help, please try.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depression, anxiety, binge eating disorder.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think I had psychopathy.

It's much more likely that I have depression.

8. thepandaboss

I have anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder... There's suspected bipolar disorder (which wouldn't surprise me, I've got family history for it) too but that's kind of a wait-and-see-with-therapy thing.

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder, which means extreme PMS basically. I think it affects a lot of people differently, but I noticed it in myself because during the time when PMS normally occurs, I often get very depressed and sometimes experience what I think are anxiety attacks. I haven't gotten diagnosed, but maybe one day.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom thinks I might have one, but I'm not sure. I think what she's seeing are traits related to my Asperger's. We had a unit on mental disorders in my health class, and my mom kept asking me if any of the disorders we learned about sounded like me. Particularly social anxiety and depression.

When I was little everyone thought I had OCD because of the way I would line up my toys and scream at people for moving them, but now we know it's just my repetitive autistic traits. I have strict routines and everything has to be organized in a certain way (if it's not, I sometimes even start crying!) but I don't think it's because I'm trying to rid myself of intrusive thoughts; I just can't cope with change or disorderliness, which causes me distress.

11. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly certain that I do have OCD. I've never been diagnosed with it, so I cannot say for sure, but many of my behaviors and past issues can be explained with it. I seem to have developed it so early on that I can't remember how long it's been. It might even stem back to when I was a toddler. Mine is of the intrusive thought/compulsion nature as well. I have a memory of being no older than four or five years old, and my mom had said goodnight to me and I said something to her in reply, but she hadn't heard and asked me to repeat it and I said "never-mind". But I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about how I hadn't told her what it was. Eventually I just started crying at the distress it was causing me and my mom heard and came in my room; at that point I told her what it was I had wanted to say and only then was I able to go to sleep. That sure sounds like OCD, even if I hadn't even started kindergarten then. Other incidents from childhood illustrate the same distressed-caused-by-obsession traits of it, and it became especially apparent when I was in my teens. That's when I started to read about OCD and realize that this "weirdness" that had been with me my entire life actually had a name. Just knowing what it was put my mind at ease to some degree.

I also know that I have some anxiety issues and have had panic attacks before, though thankfully it has been years since the last one. My parents have also suspected that I may be on the autism/Aspberger's spectrum, but it's all speculation. I've never been diagnosed with any mental disorder nor taken medication for any. Given that my life is stable, normal, and enjoyable at this point, I don't have any desire to be diagnosed.

#11 Libertino, Jun 15, 2016
  12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type. And no, I'm not joking. And I'm pretty tired of people using "schizo" as a joking term for someone with a split personality. That's not even what it is. The "schism" comes from a split brain between reality and unreality. People with this diagnosis don't have two personalities anymore than you do.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I'm diagnosed with bipolar and I'm being evaluated for if I might have Borderline Personality Disorder. I've also been inconclusively evaluated for autism.

If I try to explain a little.... mostly what I remember from what might have been early signs of mental disorder is that often I'd see things as very grey. I sometimes couldn't see what other kids found fun in playing or so, and everything was just, yeah, grey... maybe these were depressive episodes of the assumed bipolar, I don't know.

Now... I have a lot of problems. I feel so broken. I feel sort of unreal. And I don't feel like I'm quite here. Most of the times I don't feel anything at all. Then all of a sudden I can feel extremely angry, despairing, or so, to the point of considering doing things that, well... aren't that good. I used to get highs/manic episodes/whatever, where I'd just carry myself with the utmost confidence, where I would be obsessed with grandiose thinking, where I could exercise three times a day just to get out all excess energy in me, but now I don't since I've started on my meds. I'm at once a complete gaping hole of nothingness and an emotional rollercoaster. I have a really hard time pinpoint who I am, what is me...
    I'm a mess, basically.

#13 Invidia, Jun 15, 2016
  14. Plattyrex

My cousin has paranoid schizophrenia. Idk too much about it, but from how he describes it it sounds really scary.

15. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe bipolar disorder, and I sort of had homicidal thoughts a few years back.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder when I was 16, and I feel that I've gone undiagnosed with BPD or it was at least misdiagnosed for bipolar.

17. Psaurus918

Depression and anxiety but I've never looked into getting help. I think I should soon though before it gets worse.

18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I'm sane, reasonable and rational and suffer no disorders I am aware of.

Happy days :slight_smile:

19. thepandaboss

Lucky you... :dry:

20. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    That's great. Just a quick note though... Saying that you don't have a mental disorder and is thus sane and rational... quite obviously indicates that people with mental disorders are insane and irrational. Which is not necessarily the case at all. In fact, sometimes it's the opposite - like, because of me being mentally ill I suppress my emotions so much I rely very heavily on logic in social situations and often appear as overly rational.
    You probably didn't mean any harm, but yeah. Words are fragile creatures.