1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twitter Support are homophobic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thehudge, Jun 16, 2016.

1. thehudge

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this made me so angry...
    I should've expected this, but it infuriated me nonetheless;
    There is a particular Twitter user that I came across due to someone on my Twitter timeline arguing with him.
    Let's just say that he's set up an entire account to harass and attack gay people, and even going so far as to wish death upon us, threaten us, post graphic violent images of gay people being killed etc.
    So of course I didn't bother giving him attention, but I did report him, provided links to the content etc.
    Three days later, Twitter reply saying they can't see a clear violation of the rules...
    I'm freaking speechless.
    Seriously!?

This isn't the first time they've done this either, when reporting homophobic shit that clearly DOES violate their so called "rules".
    They just ignore it and say it's not an issue?! Yet they claim to be pro-LGBT?
    I'm so tired of their lax attitude to the disgusting abuse and threats to our safety that we get sent our way.
    Blocking the user does nothing either; they then start to attack everyone else.
    Parasites.
    I'm just disgusted that especially after everything recently, that Twitter are doing absolutely nothing about this filth.
    I would LOVE to post his Twitter handle here so you can see exactly what I mean and maybe report him too (loads of people have, but were also ignored! Pathetic!).
    But I'm not sure I'm allowed to share the Twitter handle on here??

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to let it out where people would understand.
    Twitter are homophobic scum. They just don't care what danger we're in.
    Wish I'd known before I signed up! Ugh.

Anyone else been fobbed off by their so called "support"?

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not allowed to post his Twitter username here as that would be against the Code of Conduct. I'm so sorry this has happened to you, though. Twitter is notoriously awful for stopping online trolls and bullies- their own CEO even admits it! I wonder if there's some sort of customer service you can go to beyond just reporting?

3. thehudge

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I thought as much. That's why I didn't post it lol. Not worth getting banned :slight_smile:
    I think their own "support" are homophobic to be honest, hence their reluctance to do anything.
    At least Facebook take action nowadays.
    This went a lot further than mere trolling - this was genuine threats of violence/murder towards gay people, even mocking the recently deceased!
    That's why I'm shocked that they did nothing.
    I seem to recall their CEO admitting that, too, and "promising" to crack down on these issues in February last year...
    Surprise surprise; empty words!

Hmm I did look, but it would seem they have no other form of contact for us users, besides that ridiculous and restrictive 'report form'.
    Cowards!

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the rant. Had to get it out. :slight_smile:

4. iiimee

Didn't Twitter put Anita Sarkeesian as one of the "monitoring" people on Twitter? Just goes to show how far Twitter has fallen, not that I ever liked it myself.

5. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope it gets taken down soon D:

6. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Twitter is pretty terrible with support. In some cases they seem to ban people for no imaginable reason, in other where users are clearly being abusive no action is taken and in other they heavily favor one side due to political reasons and don't punish both fairly, and as far as I can tell you can sometimes get someone banned by reporting them enough times, without any staff even looking at what you're reporting. Oh, and don't get me started on how they removed Milo Yiannopoulos's "verified" symbol after something he tweeted, I don't care if you think he deserved it, that's just a bizarre thing to do and reeks of unprofessionalism. Has it even happened to anyone else ever? Is people being allowed to know that this is your real account supposed to be a reward for good behavior? Such a weird "punishment".

They added her to a list of people they would get advice from on how to improve their service at least. Did you read their "trust and safety council" announcement? Lol. What an Orwellian mess that was.

#6 derVaminoi, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Plattyrex

Twitter is literally cancer. I just wouldn't use it.

9. thehudge

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. Sounds like it's worse than I thought!
    Sadly I don't have enough followers or influence to encourage a boycott, but I gave them a mouthful and outright called them out for being homophobic, biased, unprofessional and bigoted.
    Saved them the trouble of suspending me for no good reason by deactivating my account.
    Seems like it's run by a bunch of children!
    My six year old acts far more mature than that, and has a far better sense of right and wrong, and what should or shouldn't be said!
    They need to get it together. It's become a breeding ground for evil parasites, and it's disgusting that they allow it.

10. redstreak23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same thing happened to me....