1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellow Writers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeronsStorm, Mar 5, 2009.

1. HeronsStorm

Hey, this just now occurred to me as I signed up for a website.

Is there anyone here on EC that's participated in NaNoWriMo, Script Frenzy, or any other writing event similar to these?

For anyone who doesn't know, NaNo is National Novel Writing Month, where you write 50,000 words during the month of November. For information on both of these sites, just go to google and type in NaNoWriMo or Script Frenzy, they should be the first ones that pop up.

I finished NaNo in 2008 with a win (HAHAYES!), and I'm now joining Script Frenzy to give it a shot, since I've never tried it.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never did either of those. I've done some fanfic writing and original writing, and it's posted hither and yon on the interwebs.

Lex

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I've heard of all those. I am or was a participant in the Denali but I got disqualified for not attending LCC for Winter Term. I am also a second place winner of USA Funds Scholarship. I've written the graduation speech for class 2006. I've done short stories, essays, and one prominent fan fiction which abruptly ended. And I am working on my novel that will be finished by close to Nov most likely.

Why do you write? Are you planning to write a book or anything?
    <- a writer

Does the misuse of a semi-colon annoy you too?!

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Are you also a fan of Spoken Word? I believe that's what it's called.

5. HeronsStorm

Dang, those are lots of big things! I take place in the free stuff XD By any chance can you tell me what you're writing about in your novel, or would you rather not say?

Nah, I'm not planning on becoming a professional writer. Surprisingly I do these just for fun. Sadly I always have trouble with grammar, so I avoid using a semi-colon. How DOES that work?!

6. HeronsStorm

I haven't even heard of it, but I'm definitely going to look it up right now!

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi2LoWPImZE
    WARNING: Profanity may not be suitable for minors

I have to go to work now but this is an example of spoken word...though this one is a little more like slam poetry. I met both these ladies when they came to OR and they're two of the most intellegent people I have EVER met. You can't really tell from the vid...but both are very well educated and have PH'ds if I remember right.

8. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's two ECers (that I know of) who did a NaNoWriMo: Invisible (Ben) and Hln D (Helen). They did a joint one, writing alternate chapters and finished it in good time.

I'm stealing their thunder, but since neither of them are on at the moment, I'm just going to say it was an absolutely fantastic novel, it truly was. I'm almost certain I can't post a link to it on here *nods to big red words on top of thread* but I'm sure if you get in touch with aforementioned couple, they'd link you. Or I'm happy to give it to you ^^

9. HeronsStorm

That was pretty cool! I was impressed. Honestly, I wouldn't have expected them both to have PH'd's if you hadn't told me, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. They are both probably very intelligent, people that should be respected, but people make prejudices against them and demoralize them. At least, that's what I get out of it.

10. HeronsStorm

Yeah, I'll definitely have to ask one of them, sounds cool! It just seems like so many people do this, but I can never find them.

11. sapphicvariety

i love writing. my high school offers a creative writing class, and i'm in it this semester... easily my favorite class.

12. Melissa

I'm a poet myself, having written roughly 200 poems of different lengths/types. ^_^ I don't enter contests though because I feel like my work is no good...

13. sapphicvariety

aww! if you've written that many, there's bound to be some decent ones!

14. Melissa

:lol: Thanks. My English professors have told me I have some talent but I'm just too shy!

15. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

OMG someone else other than me watches this lol. Hammad( first writing since) and shihan (this type love) is where its at.(!)

16. Hoppip

There's a NaNoWriMo thread on this here site. ^_^

I participated in NaNoWriMo 2008, but I ultimately failed with a measly 20,000 word count and horribly pathetic plot.

I'm going to try again, though.

Script Frenzy? Naah. Not for me.

17. MusicIsLife

I did Nano for 08, didnt finish though, im a really slow writer :/

18. Miles D

I tried to do NaNoWriMo... i got to 5,000 words and stopped :confused:

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NaNoWriMo is for amateurs--if you want a real challenge, you do the 3-Day Novel Contest. :lol:

I did it one year--pretty intense but I got a good story out of it. I used it as part of my application to a year-long part-time creative writing program. (I was accepted and did it.)

I've almost written a lot of poetry, but not for ages. And I've had one poem and one short story "published" in XY. (I'm not sure if it counts as published just because XY is (was?) so screwed up. Plus they didn't pay me, which sucked. But apparently a lot of people read it.)

P.S. I'm kidding about the "amateurs" comment.

20. Emberstone

I have done NaNo three times, with two consecutive wins.

I currently am trying to seek a agent to represent the first book in a planned *and partially roughdrafted series*. I have three drafts of the first book, completed rough drafts of books two and three, and I am like a chapter, and 6-7 rewritten chapters away from a completed rough draft of book four. I also have my outlines for five, six, and seven already, and this has been my obsession for four and a half years.

So far, most of my rejections were personal rejections with detailed explanations why they rejected it. Most of them were because it just ultimatly was not what they were looking to represents. alot of them said to keep up with sending it out, because it was a marketable story; they just didnt have the contacts to sucessfully represent it.