1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I just give myself a sunburn?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Jun 16, 2016.

1. RemakeJake

Random question! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but thank you for reading

I usually tan quite easily since my Spanish genes seem to override my Swedish ones but my natural skin is a sort of fairer olive complexion. The UV Index in my area is 11 today (which I found out AFTER I tanned, DOH). I laid out on my balcony in just my shorts for exactly 8 minutes on both sides. I don't know if it's because I was on a hard wooden floor with only a very thin towel but part of my stomach already feels a tiny bit sore, and I only just went back inside 10 minutes ago.

Do you think I'm getting burned from only 16 minutes of tanning, even though it's a super high UV day? :O thanks guys :kiss:

2. Sounds like it can be a burn coming through. I went out in the sun when we had a good heatwave a month ago (It's litearlly been a good few years since I've been out in the sun properly) and when I came back, It felt like my hand was burning at first, then it appeared red for a little while. It could be a mild sunburn or just a reaction to the heat. :grin:

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Yes you did.

4. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, you have a sunburn, The sun is very strong because of its position high in the sky,as we approach the summer solstice. Advise cool shower or bath, ASAP also take a dose of NSAID such as aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen (aleve), if you tolerate any of them. The anti-inflammatory properties will help to reduce the burn. Do not bother with Tylenol, aka acetaminophen or paracetamol- it is not anti-inflammatory.

5. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    fuk i got sunburned hella bad the other day, im "spanish" too and i was out in the sun for a good 2-2.5 hrs..i didnt feel anything at first then it started to feel hot so i came home and took a cool shower and later that day it stung like hell..it stung for like 2-3 days i was using aloe lotion and it started to peel..it was itchy as hell the last couple days and i found that peppermint oil soothed the itchy so it u ever experience that ull kno what helps ahead of time :wink:

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I live in basically the same location as you, and I'm guessing we may have similar skin types, so here is my input... I've done this before. But usually 10 minutes. If I have not been exposed to the sun for a while, I can get a burn from that period of time at peak hours during summer. However, it won't be a bad burn. Maybe a little pink that will go away in a day or two. It shouldn't peel and will probably turn a little darker (but barely).

Idk how people get a base tan without burning a little to be honest. I can't really. I'll always try what you're doing -- a short period of time in the sun and increase it slowly -- but somehow I'll always accidenty burn and that will be what finally stimulates my skin to make melanin. Unless I get burned really bad, then it peels. My mom is 50% Italian and she can get a bad sun burn (always on accident) but every time it'll turn extremely tan and not peel...

#6 Austin, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. RemakeJake

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have no clue how anyone can build a base tan without burning once or twice unless they somehow time it perfectly.

8. PrettyinPunk

From what my friends have described to me, it sounds like a light sunburn. I've never been sunburned before so I don't personally know. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding 'base' tan but if you go out for a short time later in the day, I would think you could tan without burning.

9. thepandaboss

Doesn't matter what your genes are or how brown you are- ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Your skin will thank you for it. I personally swear by this shit for my face, available basically anywhere (except Amazon for some stupid reason). Combine with a good, general sunscreen for everywhere else.

I mean, I live in rainy as fuck Oregon and I still use sunscreen. It's not that I don't love a tan (and I have a farmer's tan that always develops this time of year) but everyone's gotta watch out for their skin.