1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drawing tips

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Capricorn98, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    687474703a2f2f32352e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f74756d626c725f6d616e6e61645545487731726176.jpg i found this image i wanted to replicate and colour/mess about with so i traced over it and got this image lyon x gray.jpg the hair looks off to me and Gray's face seems off (right character) how could i fix this and what else is there for me to work on? thanks XD

2. mirkku

Hello!

Your main issue here might be that you see the head as "round", when it is in fact more oval / a bit "pushed" in the back, and slightly flat on top. Therefore, there is not enough hair/skeleton on the back of their heads, and the top is too round. This is mostly for the left character (whose name I forgot).

As for Gray's face, same problem, but this time in front: not enough depth. (The original drawing itself is not good, proportion-wise, which makes it very easy to encounter issues when copying.)

Beware also your arm anatomy - there are muscles there, and they have precise places! :wink:

Good luck! (*hug*)

3. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thankyou for the advice, much appreciated :icon_bigg its nice to have a second opinion, i hadnt even thought about the arms :thumbsup:

4. mirkku

You're welcome! I just finished a series of 100 arm drawings and about 50 15-min portraits (to level up my skills), so I'm slightly obsessed with it all now... x) Nothing sane in that. :grin:

I hope colouring will go well~ Drawing is hard, but don't give up!

5. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks XD, what tips could you give me to make the hair look better, do i need to use a smaller size for the hair or something else?

6. mirkku

The thing when drawing hair is to take it strand by strand, but before that to "place" the hair (loose shape, you know?). Just think about where the strand starts, and where is end. In manga style in general it's more about where the strand ends, and where the reflections / lighter or darker shades are going to show.
    For a simple, manga style hair tutorial, I highly recommend this one: How I Draw Hair by ribkaDory on DeviantArt

Hope that helps! I usually draw hair a bit more realistically than Rika does, but use the same kind of base... and it's pretty efficient! :slight_smile:

7. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thankyou XD really appreciate it