1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you picked a University?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swamp56, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Just wondering if there's anyone out there in the class of 2012 (uni class) who has picked their college/university :wink: .

It's coming around to that time where all the financial aid packages and acceptance letters are leaving the admissions office and going through the postal system to the hands of the incoming-freshman college students. It's a tough decision to be made, and could also use some help from others and a lot of thinking.

Well, my thinking is finally finished with the complete and utter support from others to attend University of Hartford (it was a unanimous decision made by me, my parents, and guidance counselor as well as therapist). This came from the fact that the other school I was accepted to only offered technical majors (Wentworth Institute of Technology) and I wanted to do my undergrad in pre-med and Computer Science with a concentration in Software Engineering and maybe a minor in Spanish.

WiT didn't have pre-med nor Spanish, and I am not sure if I will end up changing majors to something that suits me more later in my college years. I've read about people who started off as a music major and ended up majoring in such fields as physics.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any others who are at the same stage as I am and have picked their future school.

#1 Swamp56, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Class of 2012 here, but I'm sitting in my dorm at the moment - Australian system, the year's just starting. I'm at Deakin University, which is one of the bigger Victorian universities.

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

god I feel old. Class of '10 here. UConn cya! Hey Swamp, if next year you want to hang out, you are less then 30 min away, so feel free.

4. Nodnarb

I'm Class of 2014 actually, as my program is five years. I'm going to go to Iowa State University, in Ames. It's your usual large public university (26,000 students), known mostly for it's great engineering and ag programs. I decided on it because the campus is beautiful and spread out, it's fairly near by but still a few hours away from home, it's less expensive, and it has a really good architecture program.

5. ricoca

Class of 2011/2012?
    I don't know when I'm graduating but I'm in a community college lol
    I'm majoring in Marine Biology but aiming for Med school. Kinda wanna major in German if I can lol...
    I plan to apply to a few schools this coming fall, including UCs and Boston Uni lol.

6. Crazyfoo

1st it's here. Just finished applying. Probably just for summer classes.
    Then its UTSA, and then hopefully Austin or Houston.

7. MusicIsLife

Ive been out of High school for 3 years and i havent gone to uni yet, but im going to Concordia University in 2 years.

8. kevinx519

ive gotten some offers so far but still waiting for the big schools like UCLA and Berkeley. *crosses fingers*

9. davo-man

I'll be finishing my degree at the end of 2011 (4 years) and am currently studying at UniSA, the newest of the three major unis in Adelaide. My group has abig disagreement about which of the three is the best, but (since I'm the only one that goes to UniSA) I'm usually outnumbered hehe

10. Apocalypte

Class of '09... had my last ever lecture today, just finals and thesis to go. (!)

Contemplating postgrad though, don't know where though. I'd be strongly considering applying to courses in the UK, but if I can get funding here I'd consider staying in Dublin.

If things had gone the way I'd been planning when I was 17, I'd have been Class of '06!

#10 Apocalypte, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  11. xequar

You feel old? Imagine how I feel, having graduated from Ferris State University's Television and Digital Media Production in 2004...

Concordia University? As in the university system run by the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod? Or is there some other Concordia University up there?

12. sdc91

Oooh, this is a nice thread to bookmark. I haven't gotten any decisions yet, but I'll hear back from all my schools between 3/26 and 4/1.

Well, I heard back from 1 in December. I was deferred from Stanford early action, so now I'm in the regular decision pool. :/

Is there more than 1 Concordia? The only one I know of is in Montréal.

13. xequar

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=concordia+university&aq=0&oq=concordia+

There is a university system run by the conservative and anti-gay Lutheran Church Missouri Synod here in the United States. They have a bunch of different Concordia Universities and Seminaries.

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

ya Concordia is in Montreal, I almost went there and McGill, chose UConn...and thanks xequar but I still feel old.

15. MusicIsLife

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Yea Concordia in montreal, its really good for english programs. I'm prolly gonna go to Concordia, then McGill later on or something, i havent decided yet.

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

What's your thesis going to be on? What are you getting your grad degree in :grin: ?

If I don't get into medical school, I'm planning on going through grad and post grad schools ^.^ . I've already spoken with my guidance counselor and she said I can do it and wants me to to get my phD in Psychology; she thinks I'd love it.

#16 Swamp56, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
  17. Apocalypte

My thesis is on lattice decoding algorithms. I've a heavier maths background than most CS majors, so I picked a pretty maths-heavy project because I thought I'd have a better chance of a decent grade in that than I would in some of the other choices.

Undecided what I'm going to do at grad school, if I do a taught masters I'm looking at Computational Science and Complex Systems, but if I get research funding then I'm looking at either machine learning/data mining or information hiding. Pretty much any of the fields of CS that may as well be called "applied math" :slight_smile:

If I go to the UK, I'm looking at applying to Scotland - Edinburgh is strong in CS. At the opposite end of the country there's a course I'd love to do at Imperial, but the chances of getting into Imperial with my minefield of an academic record is something very close to zero.

18. Daniel

Buffalo State University, class of 2012! Fashion Major

(Not University of Buffalo like SurferDude420, they're different schools.)

19. olides84

Ooh, good luck with that. I graduated from UCLA, bachelors and masters.

I'm jealous of you all, choosing where to go to university is epically exciting! :slight_smile:

20. Derek the Wolf

I am going to Penn State next year. =3