1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you make friends?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SillyGoose, Jun 17, 2016.

1. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Seems a bit of a depressing question... Depressing in terms of my social life...

Anyway, Any tips?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say hello to someone and if the conversation seems to flow then I talk with them. If it doesn't flow, then I stand awkwardly until someone else comes and say hello to them and test again.

I usually ask them if they like FRIENDS or Doctor Who, but any television programme/music/science theory will be fine.

3. Selkie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Every good friend i've had was because I was in consistent contact with them for a long period of time. Like school or work or neighbours. So I guess if you're introverted like me, a good way to make friends is to attend anything where you can have a routine of going there often, eventually you'll find someone you click with even if you don't realize how well you'll get along right away lol. Maybe join a class or something.

I became friends with my best friend for years now after working together for like a year, she started talking about wanting to go to this concert but no one she knew liked the band, and I was like. Um I love them what?! And she thought I was messing with her until she realized I wasn't, and then I found out she had never understood my sarcasm/humour and thought I hated her all along when she was trying to be friends with me and everyone else, and then we bought the tickets that day and spent every work day until the concert date blasting their albums, went to the concert and had an awesome time, and the rest is history. We became instant friends that day after nearly a year of just being coworkers that seemingly were too different to get along lol. Life is strange.

4. Jellal

Usually I go out of my way to crack jokes with people and get into talking about my interests, wondering if they've seen the same shows as me or played the same games as me. The key is to absolutely get past BORING stuff like school or the weather, that nobody cares about.

I haven't made any new friends in a long time though ... but I must say I am more than happy with the friends I have right now.

5. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are friends?

6. Sohryuden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Cheesy as it sounds, I'm really just myself. I'm not much of a talker, but if I can see that someone has similar interests, then I'll attempt a simple conversation. It's all about being observant with me, and striking up a topic that I like, and that they might like.

It can also go vice versa, where you happen to be wearing or listening to something that someone else has interest in, and they'll come up to you and start a conversation first. You could always try that if you haven't done so already.

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know, as that's something I'm basically incapable of...

8. iiimee

I sit down next to them, tell them they look attractive, (if they do) and go on to make about ten sexual jokes before moving on to the next person, or ideally somebody who's already a friend of mine. That way, they see me interacting with another person and reconsider my crude insanity as a possible charm. It has about an 80% success rate.

9. TeddyV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, when I was your age I didn't have friends either. And it's completely okay, life gets better. Eventually I found some good mates at university. I realize that when you're kind and attentive, people just naturally come to you and be your friends. Nobody wants to be friends with someone who has a horrible personality...

Plus I think you've made quite a few friends here. There's nothing to worry about!!

10. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe join clubs or events that pertain to your interests (e.g. if you're interested in gaming, or writing, there might be some groups around school). You can meet people with similar interests there and that way, it could be easier to strike up a conversation on mutual ground. If you have any people you see regularly (such as in classes or if they live close by, or you go to the same place during break times at school), you could ask them to join you for a movie or something. Or just start off making some small talk with them. If you see them often it could be easier to start chatting and maybe become friends. Also, if you know people with common interests - even a TV show or a band or something - you could start off just mentioning that and see where it goes.

There will be periods of your life where you might have less friends, or feel like your social circle is emptier than you thought. It's definitely okay. I'm not the most outgoing person (understatement), and I don't find it super easy to make a lot of friends, so my social life isn't exactly the most exciting thing either sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But just keep doing what you enjoy, be nice to people, and know your own value. Things change quickly, so do social circles sometimes, and sooner or later you'll find your friends.

But meanwhile, forums such as here could be a good place to be, especially if you want to talk to people but don't find it that easy to talk about some things with people you know in person. Good luck (&&&)

#10 Alder, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've heard of friends. Those mythical beings who are there for you when you need them. I thought I had some once. But I was naive.~

13. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such a flirt.

Friends? I honestly couldn't tell you. I've never had any.

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd tell you if I knew...

Most of my friends were met through my very outgoing best friend. If it weren't for him, I'd probably have no friends. Knowing someone with a completely different personality from me, someone so sociable, allowed me to have the friends that I do.

15. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't. Friends make me.