1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really random question but anyways

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Glowing Eyes, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Glowing Eyes

I've heard multiple times about religious fanatics (usually Christian) really hating Harry Potter for religious reasons. I mean it has magic but doesn't every piece of fiction. So what part of their religion does it offend?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's apparently* promoting wizardry which is deemed as black magic. However, there is also a suggestion Dumbledore or Harry Potter [forget which one] is an allegory for God.

*Okay, so the whole thing is about wizardry, but I wouldn't say it's promoting it.

3. AlamoCity

Not every fiction book has magic (what kind of books have you been reading? I've read most John Grisham novels and have never come across magic :lol:slight_smile:.

The problem with Harry Potter and similar books is the emphasis on stuff like witches and wizards and potions and spells and the occult and all of the accoutrements that are associated with "magic."

As God told the Israelites in Deuteronomy 18:9-12:

When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the Lord your God.​

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2016 at 05:27 AM ----------

I could go all New Testament on you but I'm too tired to go further :lol:.

4. mirkku

5. Glowing Eyes

By fiction I meant sci-fi. As in, Star Wars, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, etc.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2016 at 06:32 AM ----------

I mean, isn't the force in Star Wars basically magic. There's also a pretty big emphasis on it.

#5 Glowing Eyes, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  6. AlamoCity

I would even say The Hobbit, TLOR and other similar books/movies fall under "fantasy," a sub genre of "fiction," but not "science fiction." Star Wars can fall under sci-fi. The force in Star Wars could fall under magic/God, but it also has the unique property of being quantifiable. Didn't in one of the Star Wars movies (the one where Jar Jar Binks was introduced) they measure Anakin's midichlorians, which were a derivitive of the Force? I think that when something becomes quantifiable, it can breach the barrier of "magical" to "scientific."

7. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    asdf that'd be a hilarious read though, I must check this out

Starring Jesus Christ as Albus Dumbledore and Lucifer as Voldemort :eusa_clap

Take my metaphorical money

10/10

#7 derVaminoi, Jun 18, 2016
  8. mirkku

Clearly the most brilliant fan-work of the decade. :grin:

9. A Mindful Wolf

The Vatican, as evil and corrupt as they are, have no problem with Harry Potter...only super extremists think it promotes the occult and devil worship.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Some people just have too much time on their hands.

Anyway, I find the whole thing with Dumbledore interesting. His semi-omniscience and extreme proficiency makes him seem like something like a demi-god to me.

And yes, HP or LoTR are not sci-fi. They're fantasy (I think they more specifically both fall under 'high fantasy' - at least LoTR does, I think HP does too although it's partially played out in the 'real' world).

11. Glowing Eyes

Brilliant

12. iiimee

As somebody who grew up extremely religious, I can tell you a lot of "magical" things are rejected by Christians, even though their god performs a ton of magic, according to their own book. Here's a list of "evil" things, at least when I grew up:
    Dream-catchers
    Harry Potter
    Any TV show with... anything. Matilda was obviously banned. Juno was okay as a lesson on what not to do, and we watched a foreign film about an arranged marriage- it promoted arranged marriages.
    Halloween, duh! Also, non-church-related Easter.
    Tarot cards
    Anything related to another, less extreme church or religion
    Sabrina The Teenage Witch ;~;
    Anything directed by Tim Burton

Narnia was only okay because Aslan or whatever was apparently supposed to be Jesus- Narnia's a religious movie for kids apparently. Did anyone else know that?

13. mirkku

The subtext is so heavy, already in this first chapter. "Wisely", "peaceful"... Also, how did Harry know the sinner's prayer? And that damn aunt Petunia, who DARES having a job while her non-"manly" (so, unlike Hagrid) husband bakes. Also, why is Hagrid's hairy chest mentioned? Why is it in the open? Why does he have a cowboy hat in the middle of a rural neighbourhood?

To answer your initial question, Glowing Eyes: religious fanatics do not have a problem with Harry Potter, but with the world in general (and English) (here's to hope her kids are not home schooled, it's my third language and even I spotted huge mistakes...).

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2016 at 03:56 PM ----------

Yes, the entire book series is.
    Susan is banned from "heaven" (Narnia style) at the end of the series because she stopped believing in Aslan.

#13 mirkku, Jun 18, 2016
  14. Glowing Eyes

Yeah I just don't get the problem they have with magic 'cause wouldn't they also hate any most cartoons or animated movies. Or what about Superman? He's pretty magical.

Nope. Did not know about that.

15. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember when I had to go to church, the church I was at put out a PSA for people to not go see Disney's The Sorcerors Apprentice because it promoted the use of black magic.

#15 kibou97, Jun 18, 2016
  16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Bible prohibits divination, sorcery, consulting spirits, and so forth. For this reason, any fiction that sniffs of these types of magic are immediately tossed into the "banned" box. However, this is more the extreme types of Christians. Any reasonable person will see that Harry Potter is full of fantastical magic - like that in fairy tails - and none of the bad stuff such as demonic possession.

I've seen Christians who are genuinely good, rational people and so long as the fiction isn't promoting actual witchcraft, are fine with most story magic.

On the other hand, I've seen some radicalists banning everything left and right which doesn't exude Scripture, including but not limited to: anime, martial arts, yoga, meditation, magic eight balls (yes, the toy), various card or board games with magical themes, anything with the word "sorcery" in it, tattoos, dungeons and dragons (essentially if you play this game you are possessed), heavy metal music, monster energy drinks, and so on and so forth.

If my eyes could roll into the back of my skull, they'd be stuck there.

#16 Kodo, Jun 18, 2016
  17. Glowing Eyes

I know. That's why I said religious fanatics instead of just Christians. I mean, if most Christians were like that than the world of entertainment would be very different.

Martial arts, yoga, and magic 8 balls? Wha...?

Same.

#17 Glowing Eyes, Jun 18, 2016
  18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are just jealous that these fictitious books are better than their fictitious book.

Happy days :slight_smile:

19. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Isn't dumbledore gay too?

#19 SillyGoose, Jun 18, 2016
  20. Glowing Eyes