1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gemerency, Mar 6, 2009.

1. gemerency

hmmm. Im a Junior in high school. just an avrage, lazy, do just enought to pass student. and for the the last two years i wasn't that concerned with the future. I've always known i wanted to get into an Art collage then get a job as a graphic designer.

but lately i don't know if i'll be able to get anywhere close to that. I screwed up last year and have to take my English 10 class again this year :bang: that and the fact that i doubt any of my "art" has enough talent for an art collage to even consider me has me freaked out.

My (slightly opinionated and hightly homophobic) dad swears up and down that because i failed a class and have a slight lack of work ethic that the only possible succesfull future for me is the military.... which i want to avoid as much as possible.

im just wondering. did anyone else have this much trouble with the future and collage and so on.

:help:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing that freaks us out the most is "not knowing". Once you know, you can plan. So work on finding out. Two suggestions:

* Contact some art colleges. If there's one nearby...oh, wait, you're in Alamosa. Probably not. :slight_smile: OK, you'll have to do this via e-mail and phone. Find a couple nearby that you MIGHT want to go to. Don't worry about if they're perfect fits. You're looking more towards getting a basic picture. Find someone in admissions, and send them an e-mail. Say you're a junior in high school, interested in a career in art, and contemplating attending art college. Ask them to send you an admission packet, and ask what sorts of things they're looking for.

* Check out the other side of things, too. Find a couple graphic designers whose work you admire. Contact them, and ask if they can answer a couple quick questions you have about the field.

Knowledge is power. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Phantasma

I think that we are put under far too much stress when it comes to planning for the future in terms of careers.

As if the life of the average fifteen or sixteen year old isn't confusing enough already, they throw the burden of "START PLANNING THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!" on top of it all. I see where they are coming from with the idea, and it is in fact a smart move on their part.. they just need to drop the intensity a couple of notches. From grade eight until just yesterday all I have ever heard from teachers is "You better know what you want to be, because you have to take all the right courses in high school so you can be successful in the career you want, and if you don't learn all the proper material you're going to have a very difficult time meeting your goals." Sounds harmless enough, right? Well, I interpret that as "PLAN IT AND PLAN IT RIGHT OR YOU ARE SCREWED!" Which is essentially what it is, but in not-so-nice words.

I think it's overkill sometimes. How can they expect us to know at this age exactly what we want to do for the rest of our entire lives, and exactly what we need to do get there. Some studies have shown that the average person doesn't settle into their ideal career until they are almost twenty-five. Some people go their whole lives never finding that "it" dream job at all. Hell, until I was seven I wanted to be a construction worker (mainly because I thought the tractors they got to drive were hella' cool) and from then until just last year I wanted to be a teacher. Now I want to be a graphic designer, but who knows if that interest will last or just fade like the others? It's a lot of stress to carry around, so I can relate to you on that level.

I agree with Lex. Do some research into the nearest colleges or the ones you are interested in and get a little information on their requirements and expectations for enrollment. If you learn a little more about what they want, it might alleviate some stress and also help you start to plan the steps for meeting your goal.

4. Greggers

I am currently enrolled in MANY graphic and other visal design programs at a decent university in BC, Canada :slight_smile:

....and i did shit in school until Grade 12. And that, sadly, is true for most people. DONT WORRY about anything until Grade 12 honestly. If you pass everything and make it to grade 12, work your ass off starting then and get the B's and A's. If you get B's in everything in grade 12, like i did, you will get accepted to any low or mid level university im sure. Your application to an Art School is less about grades and more about Portfolio. If your art is good, your in. Your only 16 now, stop worrying about college and focus on living :slight_smile: Once you hit the end of grade 11 and start of grade 12, start collecting ALL your art. Focus on doing your best work. If you can pull off decent/good grades and have a collection of art you will be set! The only thing is at some point you have to wake up and work your ASS off. It does not have to be now, but just know you cant coast by forever and makes your deams come true. But again, grade 10 is useless. Mostly grade 11 is useless too. Grade 12 is were the attention will be focused on.

5. TheRoof

it's not too late to do things right.
    start getting good grades, and as Lex said, research some colleges that you might be interested in.
    also, if ur taking art classes, u could get some advice from art teacher, perhaps get a recommendation?
    my point is, it's not too late, and you have plenty of time to get things right. and don't assume that colleges won't be interested in you. you never know.
    good luck.

6. MyLife134

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    lol definitely! Im a freshman in high school and i am most definitely worried about that stuff! But i tend to get my mind off of it somehow, lol, and best of luck to you in art collage! I love art and i bet you are good. Better than me! Besides all that, in my opinion you should relax a little. No one can predict the future, so it's pointless to fear unknown