1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Else?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justine16, Jun 19, 2016.

1. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm tired of the current lgbt rights movement. It focuses on gay marriage and other issues over the most vulnerable members of the community (i.e trans people, people of color, ect.) Who else thinks the movement needs a change in direction?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm tired of the same sex marriage posts in general. It never was the worst or most important part of our community, but straights are obsessed with it. They act like once it becomes legalized (which it technically has already...) that the fight for us is over with. I don't like this kind of logic.

#2 Creativemind, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Yeah, it needs clarification and possibly separation sometimes. Sexual and gender identity are different and need to be tackled in different ways; pretending each part of the LGBT community wants the same thing takes the focus away from specific issues and aspects of the movement (racial, trans, feminist, non-binary).

As you can see on EC, something like Pride doesn't work for everyone, even if it does expand and adapt sometimes.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, the community is so rocky and we've lost our focus. The people who were thrilled about marriage equality happening here in the States are more than likely the same ones who pitched a fit about the "you got shemail" line being dropped from RuPaul's Drag Race and told the trans community to get over it.

We got a ton of problems we need to hammer out, and it sucks that too many people think the war is over because some of us can get married legally now.

5. Formality

What we should focus on is bringing rights to gay people in countries where gay people are being imprisoned or killed for being gay. We should pressure our goverments to act against these countries. I think it's sick that my country Sweden, exports weapons to countries like Saudi Arabia or even does business with a country that has the death penalty for homosexual acts. I think it's disgusting that a developed country in the west cares more about profit than human rights. I think it's sick that we allow it to happen when we in fact have the power to change it.

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like how hateful some of the community has become, it's awful. Granted, this is mostly those dumb Tumblr SJWs who are actually just extremists, but they're always saying shit like heterosexuals should die out or cis people should be shot. I know it's a way to hit back at your oppressors or whatever bullshit reasoning it is this time, but it's absolutely horrible. What, they think they're building support for our community by being twats?

7. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. Gay marriage is important, but we also need trans rights, nonbinary recognition, LGBTA rights in other countries, ect. We've still got a ways to go.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I don't know how it is in the US, but I'm quite happy about the progress we're making in Quebec.

-Last year, we made it possible to change the gender marker without surgeries (yeah! It allowed me to change it myself)

-This month, we made it possible to change a minor's gender marker with the parents' consent (it was already possible to change your name)

Now, we're pushing for a third legal gender to be recognized and the possibility to be a ''parent'' on a child's certificate instead of ''mother/father''.

Seems a lot better than bathroom bills, doesn't it? :slight_smile:

9. Sohryuden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think a part of the lgbt community has completely gone off their rocker in the past few years. Either that or it's just a vocal minority making the rest of us look like idiots....

As for gay marriage, I never really cared much for that in the first place, and it isn't what we should have been moving towards in regards to progress. Being from the US, yes, we've made strides, and generally speaking acceptance is certainly more widespread. But sometimes I feel as though we're taking a step back. When something becomes more acceptable to the public, that's when the crazies come out to play....

The community as a whole needs to reevaluate things, because we've got a long way to go. We're still an ugly mess.

#9 Sohryuden, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016