1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drag King Help.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hella Gay, Jun 19, 2016.

?

What should I do (please comment too)

Poll closed Sep 27, 2016.
  1. Wait till I move out to start.

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Start now subtly.

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hella Gay

Hi I want to be a drag king (yes thats a thing) and I need advice on how to start. I'm 17 and I don't want to start out too strong but I do want to progress and look good as a male. Can anyone help me? :icon_redf :icon_bigg

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could watch some drag king videos on youtube to see how they do the transformations. Perhaps start out with contouring to change the face structure. However, *do not* use tape, I've seen them do that and it's dangerous, best to get a binder.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^

There should be videos on Youtube to help you out.

4. Hella Gay

Thank you both I don't really know why I didn't think of that. I'm not sure how or where I should get a binder thought. I know not to use ace bandaged but I was going to use tape until you said not too. Thank you! :icon_bigg

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For binders, GC2b and Underworks will be your best bet in terms of what's safe and is also on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Just avoid those super cheap $10 ones on ebay, and you should be okay :slight_smile:

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure on which to vote. I would agree with the above suggestions and look into it more. Do a little research, you can never have too much information.

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there! :smilewave I'm a drag king and it's so much fun. I'd definitely recommend watching some Youtube videos to see tips for contouring and facial hair. I personally use a sports bra to hide my boobs because they're pretty small-ish. I couldn't give you any hints on specific binders but yeah definitely don't use tape.

With facial hair: Don't forget sideburns (you don't have to make them huge though lol) and that male eyebrows are usually thicker than female eyebrows. I'm not sure exactly how to do facial hair well yet so check out some Youtube videos. They're helpful.

Another thing no one told me when I first started as a drag king: You basically get to choose your own character (as many times as you want). You can be a rockstar, a rapper, a funny guy, a suave man, or anything you want to be. You've got plenty of time to come up with your character and name. Try out different facial hair patterns/contouring/clothes/music or whatever to see what fits you best.

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2016 at 10:20 PM ----------

Also feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk to me about performing in drag shows.

#7 midwestgirl89, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Ooooo I've actually been thinking about this for myself lately!! Look up Spikey Van Dykey:slight_smile: and look at other tutorials on how to use makeup if you want to use it. Also watch drag King performance videos. Good luck!

#8 bubbles123, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  9. Hella Gay

Thank you everyone! You have all been a big help and I can feel the love. I have one more question though for anyone that can answer. There is a thing called KT tape and I saw someone use it. They used a strict warning to never use other tape if you use tape? Is it safe?

10. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Sorry, I wouldn't know much about that myself. Although, I'm also wondering about the duct tape thing.
    I don't know if this is what you guys mean by using duct tape to bind, but I was considering doing something like this if it's safe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where the duct tape is only used on the sides of the torso to pull back the skin a bit. Do you think something like that would be safe?
    Or perhaps doing that, but with the KT tape if that's safer?

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2016 at 01:08 PM ----------

(Those are stick-on nipples in the picture in case that was unclear)

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2016 at 01:14 PM ----------

As for the KT tape, I've looked online a bit:
    Welcome to the DC Kings - Binding

This site doesn't specifically talk about KT tape, but it talks about why tape is dangerous, as it can cut the skin, rip off layers, or restrict breathing. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine athletic tape would be designed to minimize those things. On this one site, of course it's only one, but it says if you do tape it's safer to end the tape between your shoulder blades for more breathing room.

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2016 at 01:30 PM ----------

I found another resource about the KT tape:
    [​IMG]

This should probably be taken with a grain of salt, as it's on the KT website and the tape I believe is usually put on the ribs diagonally, and not as one would when binding. However, it says that the tape should allow the ribs to remain flexible when applied to the torso.

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2016 at 01:31 PM ----------

Sorry, here's the link: Featured Application: Rib Pain | KT TAPE