1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negative things about being good looking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Jun 21, 2016.

1. mangotree

Sometimes it's difficult to realise that life isn't completely easy for anyone. Including those who we think of as extremely lucky.

I'd classify myself as average looking, so this topic came to my mind recently in a schadenfreudesque kind of way in which to make me feel better about myself.
    I came up with a few negative things, but I would like to hear it from the horses mouth.

So if any of you out there are blessed with one or more positive physical attributes, or perhaps used to have them, or maybe intimately know someone who has them - and if you want to share or complain about the difficulties that amass from the so-called blessing, I think some of us "average" folk might enjoy them :slight_smile:

"The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." - Steve Furtick

So I want to learn about other people's "behind-the-scenes".

I'm in no way asking this with the intention to make people feel bad/worse about themselves, so I hope that doesn't happen.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd classify myself as being blessed with some positive physical attributes.

I guess the only thing negative of being so good looking is that some people often see you as a sex object rather as a person, and they make it their mission to hookup with you or become fwb with you. Personal experience, that happened to me and I had to turn on my aggressive side and just lay it out in front of them.

3. DanielaMaiden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your looks are all you have then you are certainly doomed, but if you are great looking and you are "blessed" with a great personality, intelligence, good sense of humor etc... Then the negative thing about it, at the moment, personally, is that you have a hard time finding someone to lust for, because no one seems to fulfill your expectations, if it makes sense. (As a lesbian, right now that's how I feel) maybe it sounds a little shallow and superficial, but it is what it is.

In general, I do agree with the post above.

And maybe people you might be interested in, won't approach you because you somehow intimidate them. Besides, they might think you are a player etc...

I wish I could explain it better.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard to admit to being "good looking" without sounding like a pompous twat, but I've been called "cute" my whole life by girls and well-wishers, so it's hard to ignore it and not interpret it to mean something significant. And yet it does feel sometimes that that's the only compliment people can ever give me. I get others, but they usually come later. Even online--I've been completely ignored on some sites until I post a photo of myself. Then all of a sudden everyone wants to talk to me. Not trying to be conceded, it's just been my experience.

As others have said, the main negative to being good looking (not necessarily speaking from experience) is that it becomes the main facet of yourself that other people focus on. Not even consciously. But people are drawn to good-looking people. People treat them better, pay more attention to them, etc. And it's not even done on purpose most of the time--it's just how we are. But it does mean that a good-looking person may have some of their other positive qualities, ones that go deeper than skin, ignored.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Self beauty is all in the eye of the beholder. Attitude, personality and confidence all are required to deem oneself good looking or beautiful. On the surface, it might be easy to suggest that physical attributes define beauty. But they are only a part of it.

You say your average. Well if you think that, then you will be that. What will surprise you is that if you got 10 people in front of you, a bet a good number will say your better looking that you think you are. I truly believe this holds true for everyone.

When you are happy with yourself, you become happy with how you look. Make yourself vulnerable in order to build confidence and let that confidence enhance your own perception of how handsome you most likely are!