1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have any of you enjoyed pride this month?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skaros, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went to the Chicago pride parade today and had a blast! It was actually supposed to rain during the parade but it didn't rain at all! So I was kind of happy about that. It was my first time going with friends. And there were some interesting people there! I kind of regret not dressing up, but I did wear some of the props I collected from last year's pride.

What about everyone else?

2. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've enjoyed Pride this year too. I went to 2 of them. The first one I felt a bit sad because of Orlando and some of my friends lost their friends but the second Pride was a ton of fun. I wore a lot of rainbows.

3. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sadly, no. Despite SF having a huge parade, I was super busy and was unable to go. I'm also not out, so I really couldn't explain to my parents why I wanted to go if I weren't as busy

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't been, this year's been a bummer though with all the violence and hate. :dry:

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the Orlando Tragedy hit quite of a sour note, considering it was pride month. I think it was also a big wake up call as to why we have these in the first place. I only went to one event since I wasn't exactly feeling the spirit. So long story short, Nope o_o

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There seemed to be a lot of Orlando tributes at Chicago Pride. I can't find myself letting a terrorist act getting in the way of Pride for me. It really was a wake-up call. I would say the shooting was what really made me want to go to Pride and enjoy myself and celebrate. I guess in a sense, these acts just push me to be even more out and open.

I just hope that more people can see why these parades are important for keeping a strong community. They are about more than just being proud, they are about celebrating courage and strength. I used to be really skeptical of pride parades, but once I gave them a chance I had a change of heart. :slight_smile: Orlando is only a drop in the ocean of what the LGBT community has overcome. And there's still work to be done!

#6 Skaros, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  7. candyjiru

I really wanted to, but I was afraid I would get fired from my job... People love to take pictures of non-Koreans here (I'm a US expat in Korea) and if a pic of me (closeted except to people I can trust) came out at Pride... I'd probably be blacklisted T.T

8. timo

Not yet, the pride parade in Berlin is next month. But I'm quite excited to go there.

9. Embi

Embi Guest

The pride parade in my city was the day of my graduation prom so I couldn't go. Still very annoyed because of that. But I really want to go next year! I've never been to pride.

10. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't go for pride this year- went for a play instead. Somewhat of a celebration to me though, 2 more of my friends came out, one as pan and the other questioning. Super exciting that at least 4 people in my small class of under 20 are with LGTQ+. <3

11. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha, I'm not sure if I speak for anybody else on this site but they don't particularly sound fun to me.

Unless you know people who'd want to, then it seems a little ehh.
    You just stand in the same spot all night, or you walk down a road in front of everyone.

12. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep, Pride was June 18 & 19, I went both days ... that makes for having gone 6 years in a row :slight_smile:
    I enjoyed it as always.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pride was in April for me but I couldn't go bc I had to work.

14. CoderK

I wanted to go to Toronto Pride, but couldn't, as while I am out to my family, they don't really like talking about my sexuality, or really like to mention it. They kinda ignore it and forget it is there.

15. AKTodd

I volunteered at Pride this year. Was a lot of work, but also kind of fun:slight_smile:

Didn't really have time to see the booths or pay much attention to the event itself, but didn't really mind as I'm not much into carnivals and would have gotten bored quickly anyway. Having a constant string of tasks to perform in support of the cause was more enjoyable for me anyway. I'm weird that way.

Todd

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was able to go to St. Charles Pride with my parents a few weeks ago. It isn't technically pride month, but this weekend I get to see my boyfriend and celebrate 9 months together :slight_smile: