1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get past writer's block

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 3n, Jun 27, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok, so I am an upcoming rock/alt musician. I am releasing an album quite soon. I'm trying to finish the last few songs now. And of course the writer's block kicks in.

Any ideas/ways to get rid of writer's block?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't write music (purely non-melodic poetry and prose instead), but I've found that you can't force anything and hope it will be good. Actively trying to write is little more than becoming receptive to inspiration. You experience something that makes you feel, and you convert that feeling into creation using what you know about the medium.

One can only assume you are a decent musician if you're working on an album, so you know how notes and progressions can be used to express emotions. Just mess around with tempo, major/minor keys, and how existing songs got their points across to see your own music come to life.

In general though, I find that writer's block is sort of fictitious. Writing happens, resisted only by self-criticism. :slight_smile:

3. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you. And I was just having trouble writing lyrics. And even though I just finished a song, Thanks again for the advice :grin: