1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universities & the lgbt+ community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Embi, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Embi

Embi Guest

Hey guys ^^

Yesterday I went to visit our local university with my friend and I was surprised how lgbt+ inclusive it was on first sight: Two guys walked around with a rainbow flag to put it up somewhere (I guess), there was a party for the student council called "Chronical Gay Union" and a bunch of posters informing about parties for lgbt+ people nearby. I didn't know this from school at all and therefore didn't expect it!

Because I won't go to this uni, I was wondering what your experiences with unis in England, Germany, Ireland or Spain is and if I can expect this from other unis as well. My local uni is pretty big and in a not that conservative area (NRW for those who know Germany), so maybe this was the reason?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Uni is in the US, but it's in a progressive city in Missouri, so we have an LGBTQ Resource center, and multiple student organizations including one for transgender students, one for queer and trans people of color, one for asexual and aromantic people, one for people out in STEM, and more!

3. Embi

Embi Guest

Wow, that's amazing! :thumbsup:

4. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in Scotland, which is a mostly (with a few exceptions) LGBT friendly place, so all the unis I looked at had LGBT groups, and the majority of people I know honestly don't care what sexuality people are. Not sure about English unis.

#4 RGEm, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually in cities and in the younger population it's accepted. Not sure about the highlands and rural areas, I have heard from a few people that they're less tolerant. Don't really know any old people in Scotland apart from my teachers, but the majority either didn't care, or they supported (there were a few against it, but they aren't particularly outspoken against it). I also know that a couple of politicians in Scotland (can't remember who) have came out, and they were mostly supported by the public, from what I read in the newspaper anyway.

6. Embi

Embi Guest

Yeah, I'd always be careful about rural areas. I guess going for bigger unis seems like the best way to find a lgbt+ friendly one.

7. ChameleonSoul

Even though I go to school in the heart of the Bible Belt, the college I attend is in a large metropolitan area in a very well-known Georgian gayborhood. And besides, since it's an art schoo, there's a very large, well accepted LGBTQ community.