1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would YOU do in this scenario?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Jun 28, 2016.

?

What would YOU do in this scenario?

1. Don't tell him anything. Pay 15 dollars for the cards

40 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Tell him the truth. Then leave

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're at a yard sale and one seller has a lot of rare trading cards. You know the card collection has a value of nearly one thousand dollars

You've checked the cards; authentic, excellent condition, protected by card sleeves and stored in a side-loading ring binder. Someone has taken good care of these cards

The seller claims he got the cards from his older sister

He only asks for $15 for the lot

You realize you could earn a lot of money by reselling these cards!

What would you do? Why?

(If you pay 15 dollars for the cards, then he'll probably never discover the truth)

(If you tell him the truth, then he probably sells the cards elsewhere)

I recommend picking an option before reading what I'd do...
    I would pay 15 dollars for the cards. I think it's the seller's responsibility to research the value of their items. I wouldn't tell him anything unless he was one of my friends

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Buy them and resell them. Not any different than buying other junk doing a little work and selling for more than coast and fixing it.

But I used to work as a garbageman, the amount of money people just throw away doesn't surprise me anymore.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would actually explain that the card is worth more and give him a reasonable offer on the card. Not the full price of what its worth and still low enough that I can make a profit when I choose to sell in future years.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, I would pay the $15. I know it's a selfish decision, but I do go with the "what they don't know can't hurt them" saying. As long as the seller isn't hurt by my choice, then I don't see why I wouldn't go through with it.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2016 at 10:54 PM ----------

Pretty much this. People don't know the value of their items. I happen to know some facts about coins (the same coins that you use every day in the US), and if I ever come across certain coins that are worth a lot, I would not tell the person who gave them to me. I know of a penny that is worth over $500, but if I come across it, I wouldn't tell the person who gave it to me thinking it was worth only 1 cent. That's just how life is.

#4 Skaros, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on how badly I really wanted them. I am a collector myself, of various items, including vintage electronics. But I have no desire to re-sell anything I collect. In which case I would be delighted to find a deal on something that could be worth a lot more. But I still wouldn't be making off of it.

6. AlamoCity

I would pay the $15.

The only exception is if I'm not really interested in something and I'm giving away advice that doesn't affect me. I collect turn-of-the-century silverware and I sometimes find very good deals on the pattern I collect. Other times I'll find a seller who is selling a pattern I don't care for and if he doesn't know what it is or the value, and I'll give him a quick lesson on what he has. Can you believe some people don't know the difference between a gumbo spoon and a bouillon spoon? :rolle:

#6 AlamoCity, Jun 28, 2016
  7. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree to buy them for $15. The seller should know what he is selling before it is gone. Plus I'm extremely broke, and could use the money for college and student loans once I get there.

8. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would pay his asking price. I actually used to do this for s living with trading cards, go around to conventions buying out collections for fractions of what my company would sell them.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd very likely buy them, but another part of me in good conscious wouldn't be able to--especially if they're worth that much, even though that kind of money could do so much for my family.

Yeah, I get that doing research on something before selling it is a good idea; but I'd hate to rob someone blindly of something they didn't know the full on value of. Hell, I remember some woman going on Pawn Stars to sell a broach and Rick told her in good conscious he couldn't give her the price she was looking for, (which was I think $200) because it was actually worth at least $50,000 or well into the range of hundreds of thousands.

So for me, I'd honestly tell them about their value even if it's just giving them a hint to get them authenticated before the next person sees them being sold for so cheap.

10. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell him that the cards are with much more than he is selling them for, then haggle the price down so I can sell them for a small profit.
    Sure it would be a lot of money the other way but my conscience Wouldent let be blindly Rob a man like that, it Wouldent sit very well with me.

#10 Fedora Mun, Jun 28, 2016
  11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would probably tell him the cards are worth more than he is selling them for. I'd like to say I would buy them for $15 and leave because money is great but I have a guilty conscience and couldnt sleep well that night knowing I didn't tell him the truth.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably tell him that I would pay him a bit more for the cards, but I would still buy them.

13. candyjiru

This is exactly what I would say~ I'd rather put some good energy into the world and let us both prosper~~ ^.^

14. timo

I don't care about trading cards but in my mind I changed the topic to a rare vinyl record I want to have.

No, I would not tell him. I would give the 15$ and be gone. It's his responsibility to research what he's selling, and also his loss if he sells it for a low price.

15. Nikky DoUrden

In reality i'd just pay the 15$ as others say, it doesn't harm him in any way.

In RPG games i'd tell him about how worthy they are, because in RPGs i try to go to the most selfless routes available (damn them lawful good paladins amright!)

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would also not tell him. When you sell something, you're supposed to research the price. I would have no problem buying the cards.

17. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The first option.

He wanted 15 quid, I gave him 15 quid.
    I wanted £1000, I got £1000.
    He got what he wanted, I got what I wanted, all is well.

18. Hunter8

I'm kind of torn here. I try to do the right, moral thing in situations like this, but I'm not sure that necessarily means I must hint that the seller should raise the price on the cards. Most people go to garage sales expecting on some level to find useful items at bargain prices. This card situation could just be a really good bargain from that perspective. I also feel a seller should be willing to put in the work and adequately understand what they're selling. If they don't, then it's not by default the responsibility of the potential buyers to essentially do that work for them.

In this scenario, I think it would be a great kindness if the buyer told the seller how much the cards were worth. But I don't think the buyer is under some kind of definite moral obligation to do so. That being said, I can definitely see the moral value in telling the seller just how valuable the cards are. It's the sort of upstanding thing I would hope that I would do in that situation. But I guess I wouldn't exactly look down on someone who didn't inform the seller.

#18 Hunter8, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  19. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This person saw the 15 dollars as more valuable than the cards. Therefore, I give him the 15 dollars and take the cards, he is happy.

I, with my greater knowledge, see the cards as more valuable than the 15 dollars. He takes 15 dollars and gives me the cards, I am happy.

Nothing wrong with the first option. It's his loss for not researching the value.

20. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say anything. I won't lie; I'm pretty selfish.