1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old do you think someone has to be to actually fall in love?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Renegades, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just curious. Regardless of sexual feelings. I mean a deep, emotional feeling of love.

2. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i dont think its really about age, i think its about how well one knows themselves and if the connection is there with the other person..

3. whyisthismylife

Old enough to have a deep connection with someone they care about.

4. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Their comes a point where your eyes are opened and relationships develop from there; I think that age varies person to person.

5. candyjiru

I think most people my age would say you have to be older, but I think there are lots of different kinds of love~ When I was in kindergarten I "loved" my classmate and he and I spent a lot of time together~ looking back, I have fond memories of that~ When I was in sixth grade, I had a boyfriend who broke my heart... in college I was "in love" with someone else... all of these were great relationships (although they all ended pretty badly, haha) but there's definitely a naivete that comes with young love, and a kind of longevity and understanding that comes when you're both old enough to know that love isn't just a feeling, it's a wanting to be together through thick and thin and that you will mature into a great friendship (with kisses and such, of course) ^.^ They're all totally different, but can be lovely if they are between people of the same age and same part of life~ that's why old people and younger people (not minors) don't usually work without a lot of effort... they have different cultural thoughts and their views of the world are too different to work together. It's also why it's illegal (at least in the US) for a minor to be with someone in their 20s... those five or ten years have changed the older one so much... that's also why you have to get your guardians' legal consent to marry if you're under a certain age, even if you are the same age...

Think about it this way~ remember how gross you thought the kids one or two years younger than you were in school? Like in tenth grade, when one of the guys dated an eighth grader, we were all icked out... so why would you want to date someone who dips down like that when you're a minor?

Wah~ this became such a long thing... sorry!

tl;dr there are lots of kinds of love, but as we experience more, we experience love in a deeper way. Also, be careful, my cute little friends out there on the internet~~ I don't want anyone to get hurt, emotionally or physically <3

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    According to the Ancient Greeks, there are several different types of love, including agape (charitable love, appreciation of everyone and love for your fellow humans), storge (familial love), eros (sexual and romantic love based on desire) and philia (love for your friends).

I sound really pretentious now but I just wanted to distinguish what sort of love we are discussing here. And can you blame me? I had to spend a year on that bullshit, might as well use it when I can.

I assume you're referring to romantic love, in which case, I think that the ability to feel that type of love (unless you're asexual and aromantic or something) develops during late puberty, so, around 16-19 on average, maybe? You can definitely have preferences before that, through crushes (or lack thereof), but no, I don't think that the 13 year old girl is actually in love with her vaping boyfriend. I agree that it's more dependent on self-awareness than it is on physical age, however, there tends to be at least a little bit of a correlation between those, no matter how loose it can be - by which I mean, most people become more self-aware during their teenage years, when you really start to develop your own personality and opinions. Not to say that younger people don't have these because they obviously do, but in general people are more self-aware at 18 than they are at 13.

As for the other three types - I believe that agape and storge are innate, and philia is something that develops along with our friendships becoming more meaningful.

#6 Gunsmoke, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  7. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think someone's maturity level plays more a factor in this than their age.