1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factors affecting same-sex relationships - Helppp?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey peeps,

I currently have a project to do for Psychology on same-sex relationships and I have to gather some reasons why same-sex relationships have been understudied.

So far I have things such as homosexuality being considered a mental illness and tried to be 'cured', Clause 28 which banned it from being discussed and learnt about in schools, and it being illegal until fairly recently.

Those seem like the more obvious ones though, and I am just wondering if there is anything else that you can think of that may have contributed to same-sex relationships or homosexuality being understudied?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Religious opposition is a huge deal here in the US, not sure about over there.

3. Eleanor Rigby

You might also consider that psychology is quite recent as science compared to other knowledge area. Philosophy or hisory for example exist for much longer. In philosophy, homosexuality and same-sex relationships have been discussed since ancient Greece.
    I don't know if this might be helpfull, but I am researching about homosexuality from a philosophical point of view. Let me now if I can help you.
    Take care, Eleanor

4. Janvier

Maybe because there's a certain taboo around sexuality.

5. EM68

To be honest most people probably could care less. Also people do not find same sex relationships as 'conventional'.

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have it done now peeps and have 12 pages of notes to work with. Thanks for your suggestions. :grin:

I've covered the following:

Clause 28: The 1988 amendment that prevented local authorities from promoting or publishing any material that promoted homosexuality, and prevented the teaching of acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship. This also covers it's introduction, the reaction from both opposition and supporters, and it's repeal in 2000 (Scotland) and 2003 (rest of UK).

Mental Illness: Covers how anti-gay bias caused homosexuality to be considered a mental illness by the American Psychiatry Association and the American Psychological Assoication. Both groups eventually removed it from their list of disorders in 1973 and 1975.

Psychologists: A list of psychologists theories and studies to explain sexuality. It covers Freud, who believed everybody was innately bisexual and became gay or straight based on experiences. Ellis who believed it was inborn and not a disease. Rado who believed it was unnatural and was reparative, and finally Kinley who created the infamous Kinsey scale.

Therapies: Descriptions on the theories of reparative therapy and research onto how they have been branded as seriously damaging and how they have a very high failure rate. Also covers the two techniques they use, such as reorientation therapy and secular counselling therapy.

Religion: How the values of religion have influenced the morals of religious believers and taught them it is a sin. It covers Leviticus and how they believe that the sin should be repented. Also covers how religion ties in with reparative therapy and offers to "cure" homosexuals.

Risks: Research outlining the risk that LGBT youth have, including their high risk to suicide, risk of psychiatric disorders, coming out stages and the hate crimes that they are victim of or witness on other LGBT youth.

That is more than enough than I need, and it covers a lot. :grin:

7. kayar

Well, yeah - it's still referred to in so many 'circles' (including religion) as "unnatural". There is frequent argument around what the bible actually says (if it says anything at all that's not vague and open to different interpretations) about same sex relationships. Also, there is a huge proportion of the world's population that still believe being gay or bi is a 'choice', or can be 'learnt'. With the level of information services and media transmissions in today's world, it is quite remarkable that the pathological and psychological evidences remain known only to the few. While this kind of discrepancy and mis-information continues, so too will the psychologies of stigma and prejudice - irrespective of any and all legislation passed to counter it.

8. littledinosaurs

I just was talking with Robyn Ochs (professional Bisexual) (Seriously)
    and some of the reasons was cause before it was sort of an unthinkable idea, when you asked about two people of the same-sex having a relationship people went "what?"
    Also back then if you said to someone "i am doing a survey about Sexuality" they would probs think you were a perv and walk away.

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    maybe because it was illegal not so long ago so ppl still feel uncomfortable studying it

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, one of the reasons lesbian sex was never illegal in the UK was (allegedly) Queen Victoria's reaction of "oh, but two women together can't really do anything anyway".

11. Kirakishou

This may be too long ago, but at one point, people thought it brought you AIDS.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Ewww - who CARES what THEY do?"

Lex

13. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As for same-sex relationships being understudied, I offer the following:

First, it's only been fairly recent one's same-sex relationship is acceptable.

Secondly, still most same-sex relationships fly under the wire. It's the ones with the "room mate" or the "best friend" that's always around.

In time as the stigma fades, more data will be available.