1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who put cis on their profile??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Misfit, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Rainbow Misfit

So... I am wondering why they do it and if other trans people find this offensive or am I being too sensitive... It feels like they are saying 'I am not one of those trans freaks, just so you know' because everyone already thinks you are cis if you don't put trans there...

....I think i am just too sensitive!! :frowning2:

2. Weekender

I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I think most who do so just use it as a means of clarification -- for instance, if they make a post regarding trans issues, they might want to clarify that they are cis and therefore their voice should not carry as much weight in the conversation as an actual trans individual's. It might also be an attempt to deconstruct the notion that cis-ness is the default, by having themselves clarify that they are cis rather than allowing people to assume a simple "male" or "female" on its own inherently implies cis-ness already. But that's just my (optimistic?) take on it, I hope it makes sense.

#2 Weekender, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that wasn't my intention at all! :icon_sad:

When I put Cis on my profile it wasn't meant to be as a way of distancing myself from trans individuals, but of a way of showing that although I'm not trans I still support the T. To me, identifying as Cis is like identifying as straight. Sure, you don't have to put it down because people assume that you are already- but there are a few people who have put straight on their profile.

Although everyone assumes this...that doesn't mean it's true. I've met members here with a simple "Male" or "Female" on their profile and have talked about the fact they are trans.

I feel like many probably feel obliged to put that they are trans down when they sign up, since this being an LGBT space and all many feel like they should talk about it. I'm not saying that this is always the case, but still. I feel like if society expects said individuals to label themselves that way then we should label ourselves as well. After all, why should it be that only something that strays away from the norm gets labelled? Isn't that actually more transphobic?

...I don't really know to be fair, I didn't really think about why I put Cis. I just did. It was never intended to offend, sorry. :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2016 at 02:56 PM ----------

Also, pretty much this. ^

#3 Canterpiece, Jul 4, 2016
  4. Hunter8

Honestly, I only just heard about this cis thing about a year ago, so it is not common language that I employ. I actually heard it from the show "I Am Cait," and the trans females in that show all seemed like it was a word that people should use. So looking from the outside in, I never saw anything offensive about it. I do feel the designation is perhaps a bit needless though. Someone can simply say they're "not transgender" rather than coming up with a new word like "cis" that means precisely the same thing.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I actually assumed it was for most people for the same reason as Canterpiece^ said above. Like, it signifies that we're both girls, just of different births.

Don't feel too bad about being offended though, it's easy to get offended for various reasons. Just understand the majority of them probably aren't trying to hurt you, you know. : )

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2016 at 04:13 PM ----------

Hunter: Cis is not a new word, really. Whether people who are cisgender "should" use it or not is irrelevant, I think. If they want to, then sure. I think it can be a nice gesture.

6. Weekender

Letting myself stray off-topic for a sec, but "cis" isn't any more of a new word than "trans" is. The first time I heard it was learning about cis/trans isomerism in chemistry -- so the two have been considered paired opposites for many, many years, with cis denoting something like "same-side aligned" and trans "other-side aligned". It's not a new concept at all.

#6 Weekender, Jul 4, 2016
  7. Hunter8

I apologize if anyone was offended by my cis comment. Honestly, I had never heard of the word until a few months ago. So it's new to me anyway. It may have been around for many years, but it's definitely not a term one hears as frequently as trans. If it serves a purpose though, then good. I hope it's a term that continues to be used.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

It's been around for, like, centuries, I think. ^^
    - Wikipedia
    Full disambiguation article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis

9. Rainbow Misfit

I am sorry I was just being too sensitive , I knew it!!
    I hope I didn't make you feel bad because I am having a bad day....

Sorry...(*hug*)

10. Hunter8

Invidia, all I meant was that the term is not a commonly used one in everyday conversation. It may have been around for centuries, but I definitely have not come in contact with it personally until recently. I by no means claim to be anything resembling an expert when it comes to transgender terminology. I'm comfortable enough admitting that there is far more that I don't know than what I do know. As I said, my plan in replying on this thread was not to offend anyone. Personally, in my opinion, I don't see much need for the word "cis," however established a term it may be. But if it is important to the transgender community to employ that word, then I will keep that in mind and totally respect that. :slight_smile:

#10 Hunter8, Jul 4, 2016
  11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see it as just a way of classifying a person. I have never taken offense to it, and I don't think they mean to offend anyone by using it.

I don't think Hunter was implying that Cis is a newly coined word, only that the majority of the public aren't aware that it can apply to gender, as well most people aren't well versed on scientific terms in the first place.
    Certainly I never heard of the term Cis till the trans movement became more visible.

#11 Matto_Corvo, Jul 4, 2016
  12. AlamoCity

It doesn't offend me (I am cis not trans) but I can see how it could offend someone who's trans. However, I feel that it's less offensive that someone putting "I have a dick" or "I have a pair that jangles when I dangle."

On sites where trans people aren't openly a part of the fabric of the website, it would be crass, but funny, to put something like that. However, on a site like EC, such statements could be seen as offensive and divisive because; while putting trans can be seen as a clarification statement, equating sexual organs with gender could send a signal to trans folks about "what they're missing" and it becomes an exclusive rather than neutral or inclusive statement.

Of course, that's how I think others could interpret that.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

It's not just something in the trans community, I'm thinking mostly in terms of the scientific community. Therefore, I would certainly not call the words 'cis' and 'trans' "transgender terminology". Sorry for being a nitpicky know-it-all, but... yeah. It's used quite a lot in Chemistry, I would know since high school.

Hmm... I often am quite, how to say, apathetic in questions like this - but you seem to quite care about not seeing a need for this word in everyday speech. I guess you're talking in terms of gender. Can you explain?

14. AlamoCity

I took OChem in college so I was first exposed to cis and trans there. It would be funny if cis people would put "I'm the good kind of fat :lol:."

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Haha, I'd like to see that. :grin:

16. vertical

vertical Guest

Although I know it's done to be normalizing of trans stuff, personally I am not super fond of it (just my personal preference). To me it just sort of enforces more of a separation of trans and cis people; I don't go around labeling myself as a "trans guy," I call myself just a guy in almost all places, so I don't really see it necessary to create even more separation between the two groups. The only reason I put "trans" on my EC profile is because I primarily discuss trans stuff on here, so I want people to see where I'm coming from on subjects. Just my opinion.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people who refer to themselves as "cisgender" are by their trying to validate transgender individuals and their worth. If there is a cisgender, then there is by default recognition of a transgender. So, in my opinion, you are reading too much into it.

By the way, most people over 40 don't know what "cisgender" means, even those who are LGB(obviously the T knows what it means).

To me, I am just male. And I don't look at a trans. male as a trans. male, they are just male too. Nothing wrong with that, it is who they are.

Let's stop putting up barriers between ourselves.

18. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not being too sensitive. Idk if you're trans but if you are, we (yes I'm cis) just need to listen to you and other trans people on how it makes you feel. The intention of most cis people who do that is good. Much like the intention of straight allies is good in what they do to support the LGBT community. However I like to sit back and listen, hear what trans people need from me.

19. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, don't be. :icon_wink It was a valid enough question, and healthy discussion is what this place is about. :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2016 at 08:52 PM ----------

Well, I don't usually go around referring to myself as Cis, I just find it helps when talking about gender (which is something that tends to come up more in my online conversations). Just thought I'd clarify that.

20. Lipstick Leuger

It's because we are on a LGBT site, that people attempt to label themselves in a way to clarify themselves. No offense should be taken. It's like my Queer Femme, some people get offended, they can stuff it, it's my label and they can deal with it. There is no shame in being trans, being cis or being you. People really need to chill and relax, not every single thing is an attack.