1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it hard to spot autistic adults?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainsworth, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Rainsworth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, i've been thinking about this.. in my life, i can name 8 people who i'm sure they're autistic, 7 of them are teenagers while only one of them is an adult in his middle age. what happen to those autistic kids and teenagers, who show clear symptoms of autism in their daily life, when they turn into adults? do they learn how to hide the behaviors/symptoms as the time go on, or can facing life and living independently can make a person grow out of it?

#1 Rainsworth, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you grow up; you learn to cover your weaknesses or you don't live outside. Check your local mental facility; alot of them are simply autistic and can't function in society. No you do not grow out of it, thats crazy talk.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One never "grows out of" autism, or an autism spectrum disorder. The affected person's brain is wired in a fundamentally different way. Though, due to the neuroplastic nature of the brain, it is possible to learn adaptive behaviours which can be helpful.

And as time goes on, such people can adjust and cope in. For an analogy: it is like most neurotypocial individuals come pre-installed with a social and emotional skills packet, but autistic people do not. They must acquire such skills. Even if it seems in their mind to make no sense, they learn. A lot of times, that normalcy you sense is the result of great efforts and training on part of the autistic person.

Autism isn't a phase, nor a scary disease. It is a mental condition which causes difficulties, granted, but also some advantages. Perhaps society should focus less on trying to "fix" autistic individuals to be socially acceptable, and more on helping them harness their strengths in order to flourish.

4. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We adapt.

5. rudysteiner

I wish other people could see it like this. I love this.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There was one guy in a class who stood out big time, but he's the exception to the rule, I think. It's more noticeable if they're extroverted?