1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does people say they aren't them in case their orientation changes...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Reptillian

I noticed in a lot of threads, and lots of people say they wouldn't be them if their sexual orientation has changed or their romantic orientation changes or... You get the idea at this point. My question : "Why is it that is the case?" As someone whose orientation (former heterosexual) has vanished (it vanished over 6 years ago, and 0 evidence of it being back) to emptiness (my behaviors/feelings would fall under aromantic asexual for most people), I still feel like as I was before my orientation vanished. The only difference is that I don't have that orientation anymore.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, a lot of times being non-heterosexual or transgender can be a character defining aspect of someone's life. For instance, if someone experiences harsh treatment as a result of being LGBT, especially from loved ones, it can change a person - for better or worse.

Character is developed under fire. And LGBT people get a lot of fire. This can develop good traits, though, like resilience, patience, empathy, open-mindedness, strength of will, and so forth. Alternatively it can break someone to a point that is very difficult to overcome or create bitterness and sorrow. But it is absolutely certain that anyone who overcomes a trial is stronger after, than they were before.

I know that personally, being trans has led me to interact with LGBT people and as a result I've developed considerable empathy and open-mindness for this community. Before, I was as bigoted, ignorant, and homo/transphobic as they come.

Despite causing me much grief, being trans has made me a better man. That's why I say I wouldn't trade it.

#2 Kodo, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would've had a very different like if I had came out and was accepted as a teenager, rather than waiting until I was 27.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would being born a girl changed who you are now? How would being born in a male body but strongly feel you are female? To be forced to socialize in a way that you don't identify with, how would that shape your character?

A gay man who dates women because of society, family, and religion. What sort of feelings will that conjure up in such a young man? Now imagine a straight man dating women because of society, famiky, and religion. How will his feelings be different than a gay man in such a situation?

Being gay or being trans or any variation there of is a huge part of who we are because of how we are treated because of it. How are we are treated and how we respond to that builds character.

You change anything about us and it changes a huge part of who we are. We would no longer be the people we are today. We would be someone who had a different life. Different experiences. We would be different.