1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Casual Interview Clothes (guys)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aberrance, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got an induction for a job at a retail store on Sunday and I'm stressing about what to wear, they said casual but can that mean jeans and a shirt? What do you guys wear as 'smart casual', bear in mind I'm only 18 so full on suit or anything like that looks stupid. Cheers.

2. AlamoCity

I would say "full-on suit" on younger guys only looks stupid because many guys get suits that are too big or are not tailored properly around the chest and waist or arms or pants. Men's suits are meant to accentuate a man's shoulders and should be slimming, regardless of your actual waist size.

That said, for "smart casual" I would recommend khakis (chinos) and a button-down shirt.

3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    slacks and fitted button shirt is what id wear

4. AmyBee

What they said and if you can make sure it's kind of ironed and not wrinkly. Good luck!

5. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What everyone above me has said - also, if you take a jacket, then a blazer or a cardigan would probably be the best idea. Blazers are generally the safest bet. Good luck!

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Khakis and a polo shirt are good for a whole lot of things.

7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A plain straight leg pant, polo shirt or a button down style work shirt. The only jean style pant you could get away with are black jeans, that fit right and aren't baggy. Absolute no T-shirts.

8. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my country, smart casual refers to a polo tee shirt and jeans. :slight_smile:

But I'm not sure if it refers to the same type of clothes in England.

I think that it's more safe that you call them up and ask specifically if they allow polo tee shirt and jeans for the induction.

I always call the company up and clarify with them about the attire before attending my job interviews. :slight_smile:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Khakis or dress pants, nice, probably solid color button-down shirt, dress shoes, and a tie is always a nice touch.

This is a place where you can set yourself apart because a lot of people simply don't pay much attention to how they present themselves for interviews. I'm always amazed at how some people show up for interviews... or, for that matter, how it seems a.most *nobody* can follow simple instructions ("Respond and in your cover letter, tell us what about this job you like, and why you'd be a good fit").

People that take the time to show attention to detail... in dress, in any communication with their prospective employer, in reading over the website and learning about the company before the interview... have a HUGE advantage simply because it seems nobody bothers to do that any more.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never go to an interview in jeans and a shirt. :slight_smile: Dress pants and a button up shirt, all in neutral colours, and dress shoes, should do the trick. That said, it might be worthwhile for you to walk by the potential employer and have a look as to how its employees dress. If they are dressed more formally, that would be the starting point for you to select your cloths for the interview then.

Also, and as Chip mentioned, and in case you haven't looked at it yet, make sure that you have a read over the store's website, to gain a general knowledge of them. It is possible that an interviewer will ask you a question to test your knowledge about the potential employer. Additionally, try answering some potential interview questions, if you haven't looked at some. Going in prepared, and showing that you are interested in obtaining the position, can make a world of difference. :slight_smile:

11. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think that a good idea will be to read some useful tips about the casual dresscode in office :slight_smile: I know that in some offices it's allowed to wear jeans with a T-shirt, besides yeah, for such a young guy it'll look much better than an official suit... Also it depends on a certain suit of course, I think that this one can be a nice idea foe example :rolle:

[​IMG]

Also jeans with blazer could be a good idea too, look here 35 Refined Blazer with Jeans Ideas - The Style for a Classy Gentleman, many cool examples :icon_wink