1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other Mennonites on here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jackie13, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Jackie13

Just curious. Are there other Mennonites on EC? Did a search and found one member that is/was Mennonite. I'm Mennonite and feeling kinda alone. I'm part of a conservative branch of the Christian Mennonite denomination and never heard of a conservative Mennonite being gay.

If you don't know what Mennonites are, think Amish with electricity and cars. To the uninitiated who know about Amish only from popular culture, Mennonites are sometimes mistaken for Amish.

2. faustian1

You may not have heard of it, but be assured it happens. It happens everywhere.

Anyway, I'm not religious myself, but welcome and please stick around. I'd be very interesting to read about your experience and I'm sure others would too. The involvement of gays and lesbians in conservative religions is quite common. In fact, one of my close friends is gay, in a relationship, and years ago voluntarily took up Mormonism. I think he still is somewhat attached to it. He is definitely not politically conservative, so this makes him a complex person. It's always thought provoking to hear from people who have this kind of complexity in their backgrounds. Sure, you'll get some smirks from some of the gay-PC types, but a lot of us will be interested in what you have to write.

#2 faustian1, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016