1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The GBF Movie

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadstack, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Not sure if this is the right place but I wanted to ask. I've watched this movie twice this week so far by myself on YouTube and I really like it. I'm at my grandparents' house now with my sister and they have a Netflix subscription...GBF is on Netflix. I'm not 100% sure on their views of homosexuality, but when I mentioned the Orlando shooting to my gramps, he said it was disgusting (as in the shooting, not the gay people). I really want to watch it with them, not to come out to them or anything, but just to test the waters in a sense. What do you think? Is it a good idea? My grandparents think I'm straight as far as I know.

#1 Shadstack, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. Glowing Eyes

I, personally, would be cautious with grandparents 'cause even if they tolerate gay people they tend to think homosexuality is inappropriate and probably wouldn't be too happy about it. I'd say ask them about a few other LGBT related issues to see how they react and then decide if it's a good idea. I'd recommend asking them what they think of homophobes like Pat Roberson, Phil Roberson, or Mike Huckabee (if they know who those guys are) 'cause they'll probably say if they agree or disagree with them and in what way. You could also bring up things like gay marriage and transgender bathrooms. Just my personal recommendations with what's helped me figure out my parents' views.

#2 Glowing Eyes, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

How would you bring that up into conversation? It feels odd to ask "hey what do you think about gay marriage?" I think my granny would be okay with it...not sure though. A couple of weeks ago she didn't think men could be raped because she thought they had to be "excited" xD

#3 Shadstack, Jul 9, 2016
  4. Glowing Eyes

I brought it up while talking about why I dislike like Ted Cruz (he was a candidate running for the Republican nomination in America) and one of the things I criticized about him and a lot of overly religiously influenced candidates was how they feel that gay marriage discriminates them which is so frustratingly detached from reality that I keep ranting about it. I also brought up the religious freedom bills 'cause they keep popping up in the news. Are there any UK politicians who do this too? Maybe you could bring them up during a conversation about politics.

5. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could suggest that you watch it based on a recommendation from a school friend (assuming they don't know you watched it already). That way if they display a negative response you can act 'surprised' at the gay content if they decide not to watch it or watch the whole film.
    Would anyone else be there? Just thinking perhaps your sister, friend, cousin etc. could suggest the film if you want to avoid anyone second guessing your sexuality.

It's just as difficult to guess someone's views on sexuality as it is to guess their sexuality. Your grandparents liberal or conservative political views might not be aligned with their social views.
    In my own experience and that of my partner and other gay friends, grandparents are better at dealing with these issues than parents. They have more practice in parenting roles, more life experience and generally think that, as their grandchild, butter wouldn't melt in your mouth. Hopefully that will be the case for you too.
    My 90 year old Aunt is the most open person in the family about sexuality. As she's said 'you don't get to live to your 90's without having any gay or lesbian friends'. The point being that age isn't as important as some people think when it comes to tolerance and acceptance. Even if they don't approve now, there's always time to change opinions, especially when there's a strong incentive to reconsider your views.

6. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

I asked my sister to pretend she wants to reccomend it. She already ships gay anime couples, so this should be no different. c:

Thanks for the advice both of you by the way! ;D

7. Glowing Eyes

No problem :thumbsup:.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2016 at 01:59 PM ----------

Also, what exactly is the movie about?

8. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

I did it! My grandparents are still none the wiser...but they weren't freaked out or anything. :slight_smile:

Oh, here's the trailer, you should watch it when you get the chance:

https://youtu.be/krEdqwLLASw

-OR-

[YOUTUBE]krEdqwLLASw[/YOUTUBE]

9. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Good to hear about your grandparents! I love GBF.

10. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Such a good movie! I'm watching it again for the 4th time this week...:lol:

11. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I googled what GBF is and the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was, "omg I dress exactly like that guy."