1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negatives of Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by midwestgirl89, Jul 12, 2016.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is just my opinion so I'm sure people will disagree which is fine. I think Pokemon Go is going to cause some negative effects toward relationships and friendships, also work or school. I have already experienced some issues with friends playing it because they became so into it that they ignored their surroundings.

It will cause some good outings with friends who share the similar interest but among friends who aren't into it, it could cause some annoyance. Thoughts?

2. NewHaircut

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My only thought is it's a sign of my age that the first time I heard about the new tech/game craze was on the news, and not through mates, lol !

3. CoderK

I feel that someone is going to die because of Pokemon Go, and then everyone will either hate the game or slow down on playing it. Either that will happen, or the hype will go down and it will slow down in downloads.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heard someone stumbled upon a dead body near a lake because of it, not quite sure about the credibility of the article however.

In my case, negatives would be I'm the type who is stuck inside because she's scared of the local fundamentalists. :confused:

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think those are potential problems, but I think we should give it a few months to see if they stick before passing judgment/being worried.

I did hear a terrible story from a friend about someone he was driving with almost crashing because he was playing it. Idiot...

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think pokemon go will reveal the idiots of the world. Those that want to play and drive, those that walk into traffic because they can't look up, those that wonder into clearly bad neighborhoods.

But the fact is, I've seen more good from it than I have bad. I mean half the people I know are actually outside for a change. My rather anti-social brother has made a few friends from this. In a time where people are being torn apart it is actually bringing a lot of people together who would normally not hang out with each out. It is designed to get the youth of the world out of doors and exploring the world, and help encourage them to interacts with others and learn about others.

7. Glowing Eyes

I also think people will start hating it but not 'cause somebody may die from it (though I'm pretty sure that will happen too). I think that, like Frozen or Avatar (the one with the blue people), everybody's gonna go nuts over it and love it, then everybody's gonna go "well it wasn't that good", than everybody's gonna call it overrated, and then everybody's gonna hate it.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely agree with you OP.

9. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wth is pokenom go and what makes it so dangerous?

10. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly think people are freaking out a bit right now, just because it's new.

A day after it comes out there are reports of people being lured into armed robberies and people getting into car accidents.

As for it affecting relationships, how is this any different from any other app or from smartphones in general? People were already staring at their phones ignoring the world around them, this is just another drop in the bucket.

11. Flowey

If I ever got into a car accident, I will blame empty closets xD

12. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Possibly will cause injury and accidents as well, including car accidents (we already have people who text and drive, what about this)? I LOVE Pokemon and I was excited to see this come out, but I have doubts about how intelligent people are when using it.

13. thepandaboss

Really, only uniquely new issue Pokemon Go's gonna bring up is having to spend two months competing against my thirteen-year-old sister for new mons when she visits this summer. :lol:

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true but the difference to me seems to be the amount of people downloading the app and also that it requires you to look down at your phone in all locations. It is location sensitive so Pokemon show up in all places. Other games aren't location sensitive so usually people play while sitting down in a building or at home. This means while on walks friends will be looking at their phones instead of walking.

That's awful about the accidents and robberies. What other people have said plus this I agree with. Someone will die but also for many the hype will probably go down. I think the makers will be sued even though there is a disclaimer.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2016 at 01:13 PM ----------

Agree

15. KayJay

I saw an article about a guy who lives in an old church and his house is a gym, so people are blocking his driveway in their cars, chilling all over his property and stuff. I think that's kind of lame, they should make some sort of process for someone to complain about a gym location for situations like these.

I think it'll slowly lose popularity and only a handful of people that are really into it will keep playing. I don't think it has the most depth so people's attention won't be held for super long. Kind of like Miitomo.

16. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is actually true. A teen in Wyoming found a dead body after he was trying to find some water type pokemon.

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That really sucks. I would call the police if I were him.

18. timo

I'm still waiting for the day someone walks in front of a car while playing this.

Ha this also happened in my home town, a small Dutch town. A group of teens found an old lady's body in a pond.

Apparently there's something hidden in a hospital in Amsterdam, and people were all over the hospital, even in places where they were not supposed to be. Inside a hospital. Why don't they know boundaries.

19. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you mean poor self-control, spacial awareness, and time management skills?

This isn't a game problem. it's a crappy discipline problem centered around a poorly raised generation with short attention spans.

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing I have noticed is that there are apparently PokeStops (or whatever they're called) and PokeGyms in locations that may get Nintendo in trouble. A family is upset because there is a Pokemon found on their mother's gravestone so a lot of people are coming there. There are also churches that have been bombarded by people. I wonder why Pokemon creators didn't talk to the places they were going to make PokeStops or PokeGyms and gain consent. It seems kind of problematic to send a hoard of people to locations that are on private property or are highly personal (the gravestone).

There's also a PokeStop near where I live next to a train track. It's on the property of a company. To get to this area, you would have to cross a train track and go into the private property of the company. It'd be pretty noticeable if you did so and there are going to be trains going 60 mph soon.

Legally you would think it'd be smart for them to gain some kind of contract with places before claiming places as their own.

#20 midwestgirl89, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016