Is there such thing as lesbian hands? what other physical traits indicate sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dobby, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dobby

Out Status:
    A few people
    if you have big hands is it a sign of gayness?

I heard this a while back but don't think it is actually a thing...? saying that i literally have the average hand span of a man...

what other physical traits have people heard indicate sexuality? do you believe it?

:slight_smile:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Is there such thing as lesbian hands? what other physical traits indicate sexuali

That's more of a myth. If hand size determines sexuality, I don't know what that says about me because I have very small hands.

3. AlamoCity

Re: Is there such thing as lesbian hands? what other physical traits indicate sexuali

I think for men of the ring finger is longer than the index finger, it's more likely he's straight and if the index is equal to or bigger than then ring finger, he's more likely to be gay.

Apparently, I'm straight.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Per some questionably-gathered (but still potentially legitimate) samples, there is a suggestion that queer individuals are significantly more likely to have sex-atypical finger ratios.

In no way were these studies indicating something causative. That assumption is borne purely out of peoples' generally poor understanding of probability. It merely suggests a greater likelihood for sex-atypical finger ratios in queer people. I believe the numbers came out as something like 30% of queer people having sex-atypical digit ratios versus 5% of straight people.

#4 Browncoat, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  5. Izzy H

Well, I haven't any sort of medical prove or anything but Game Theory posted this a while back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_24zLyKdI

Thats the most helpful thing I can post XD

#5 Izzy H, Jul 18, 2016
  6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

These studies show who's more likely to be gay. We shouldn't debunk them because they aren't 100% accurate.

I do have pretty big hands, but my ring finger is bigger than my index finger. There aren't a lot of physical traits to indicate sexual orientation, but the finger length one seems like the most true.

7. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I honestly think that any correlations are down to chance. I'm not going to lie - I haven't looked into any of the theories, but I doubt that any of them have a scientific basis. Thinking about it logically, how on earth would the size of somebody's hands indicate their orientation? It's pretty much completely unrelated.

Maybe I have bisexual fingernails or something, they grow really fast no matter how often I file them down.

#7 Gunsmoke, Jul 18, 2016
  8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Exposure to sex-atypical levels of hormones in the womb would be the (entirely logical, not unrelated) assumption of these particular studies.

9. Brytaleith

Say hand size really does indicate gayness. What happens if I'm asexual?

10. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Perhaps, but I thought there was no proof that sexual orientation has any link to our biology? I may be wrong, though, I tend to avoid reading stuff like that, not least because it usually entirely ignores bisexuality etc, and therefore isn't all that scientific if it leaves real, entire orientations out of its study.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2016 at 02:51 AM ----------

One word: tentacles.

(In all seriousness, though, "studies" like that rarely acknowledge asexuality, or anything other than hetero/homosexuality. Sure, maybe some of them do, but that's one reason why I wouldn't take them too seriously.)

#10 Gunsmoke, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  11. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

With the finger ratio thing, my right hand has a longer index finger but my left hand (whilst being the same) is much more equal in length. Depending on which hand you're "supposed" to use in this case, things would be different for my hands.

12. Electric Puns

I think that if your ring finger is longer than your index finger, it indicates that you got more testosterone in the womb, which could affect your sexuality but I wouldn't place too much importance on it. That said, my ring finger is longer which is, supposedly, typical of lesbians, so there you go.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Maybe rough hands? Since many seem to be into more physical activity...

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Someone is helping you to write all your posts...

I think it's bollocks... There is some study out there on the effects of T on fetuses and whatnot, but on me and on everyone I know gives quite strange results.

Perhaps 'cause the study is bollocks too... In being conclusive to prove there is a link between T on women and gayness, and viceversa.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth

I can't take this very seriously.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's not very accurate so don't worry about it.

17. Brytaleith

Ahahaha tentacles would be cool though! :grin: I bet it's make moving around more fun. And octopi are hella amazing.

I mean, i know physical traits rarely have anything to do with sexuality and asexuality is underrepresented in studies. Is it too late to say I was joking, or did you catch that?

#17 Brytaleith, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  18. PrettyinPunk

Yeah those studies aren't conclusive in any way, maybe there's correlative factors involved but not anything that's 100% legitimate. Most of its dependent on how much testosterone or oestrogen your exposed to as a fetus. Which the theory bases from; the more testosterone for a female the more masculine which equals greater chance of being gay. And vise versa for men. This is obviously disproved by many individuals, so it's certainly not a scientific rule.

All things said, I have rather large hands for my gender and the index/ring finger ratio on my right hand is pretty equal. (likely to be straight) On my left the ring finger is considerably longer.(likely to be gay)

So I guess my hands knew I was bisexual way before I did!

19. DragonOfNarnia

The hand size thing is likely to be just a myth, but us queerfolks are more likely to exhibit sex-atypical traits (brain structure, finger length ratio, inner-ear difference etc). The "lesbians have bigger hands" myth could POSSIBLY be explained as such: males tend to have bigger hands due to their hormones, and lesbians tend to have had more exposure to androgens in the womb hence the big hands.
    That being said, I have very small hands, but I do have the lesbian finger ratio on BOTH hands ie: ring finger is longer than index finger

20. devotions

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I have long spindly fingers, so in a way my hands are big ig. But only my left hand has the "gay" ratio. And there was literally a period of my life where I had an identity crisis after discovering this bc I thought maybe it was all just in my head and I was really supposed to be straight but I turned out gay bc of mommy issues or something. I think I made a post about it on here lol.