1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Ghosting" in Dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lastking, Jul 25, 2016.

1. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What's your guys opinion on 'ghosting' when it comes to dating?

'Ghosting' is when you're dating someone for a while and while things seem to be going really well, they suddenly vanish and cut off all contact with you out of nowhere without an explanation.

While no one owns anyone an explication, I feel like it's a rather selfish and disrespectful act to leave the other person hanging and confused.

Also, how do you deal with resentment of being 'ghosted'?

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like a brief message of some sort to the effect of"I need some time to myself" would be in order. Beyond that I don't think any much more would be owed.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's fair to ghost anyone. You should at least give some sort of explanation if you've been dating for a while.

4. guitar

If you've gone on a date or 2 and things just don't seem to be clicking, I think ghosting is fine. If you've been together for a while, it's cowardly at the very least to not give the person an explanation and explain you're just not feeling it or whatever.

#4 guitar, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  5. AlamoCity

Ghosting is fine if your on an "app." If you traded numbers and have been texting and talking continuously or have already had several dates, some sort of closure is needed, in my opinion.

6. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    being ghosted is an incredibly horrible thing, as someone who has sort of been the victim of that, it feels horrible, you feel so bad, like you did something horribly wrong but the person was just too nice or awkward to tell you what you did and so left, or maybe something horrible happened to them. you spend a lot of nights just wondering whats going on, where you went wrong.

and then, lucky me, he contacts me again like it was yesterday. crisis averted haha.

7. hanrity

hanrity Guest

being ghosted is the worst thing

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cowardly. Selfish. If someone ghosts, I shut the door.

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's one thing to not call someone the day after a first date: a first date is an experiment. You tried it, you didn't click, it's done.

But what is the justification for completely vanishing on someone you've been going out with for a while? I can't see doing that to another person, and I can be a bit of an asshole sometimes.

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I've been in a relationship where the person is being manipulating or abusive - then I will ghost them as they could manipulate me into getting back together with them or try to excuse their abuse and/or threaten more abuse if I contact them. I don't find it selfish to try and keep yourself safe.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good manners cost nothing, even if you are using an online service or 'app'. There is a difference between a fake 'I will call you when I have the time' (which usually means 'I am not interested anymore, thanks for your time, bye') and what everyone calls 'ghosting'. What about calling it what it really is : 'Acting like a dickhead' ? Because I see no point in giving someone good signals when you are not interested... Unless you are giving them because you think 'it is the right thing to do', but that doesn't justify your actions, only turns you into... Well, a dickhead who does things just because 'they are what you have to do'/'what everybody does nowadays'... Which is surely the excuse to act like a... You know what.

I tried to avoid acting like a dickhead with anyone, even with the most obnoxious dickheads. I don't care about the rest, I'm not changing my ways to please them.

12. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Obviously being in abusive relationship is a whole other story. If you're a victim of an abusive relationship, you should cut that person off, and there's no need to explain it to them.

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2016 at 06:34 PM ----------

I feel like people ghost for two reasons:
    1) They're just not interested: They ghost because they want to avoid the drama and confrontation of telling the other they're not interested.
    2) Fear of commitment/being in a relationship: They finally realize that things are serious and they're not ready for a relationship. They don't know how to communicate this to the person they're dating, so out of fear they disappear.

Either way, I still think people should grow some balls and confront the person they're no longer interested if they have been dating for while.