1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel that "you're pretty" has become an empty compliment?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by love23cali, Jul 26, 2016.

1. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel like more often than not, it's just to make a person feel good about themselves (suggesting that perhaps they don't think the person feels great about themselves already).

I personally feel that it's more often than not intended to fill a space in the conversation or to make oneself more likable...regardless of whether or not the person is actually pretty/beautiful. "If you want people to like you, you throw compliments at them".

Sometimes, it's even said out of pity. Many people wish not to feed the ego of a pretty person so don't say anything at all to those that truly are. Rarely is it said in truth. I've been told this several times through the last several years and do not take it to heart. Actually had a customer tell me this today and a coworker say this to me yesterday. I know that I am not the prettiest thing in the room. In fact, I avoid taking pictures with people..I've just accepted that I am the way I am and try not to dwell on it.

Anyways, unless you're saying it out of attraction, there's no real point. Why give attention to someone's physicality if you aren't interested in exploring it?

2. AmyBee

Yeah, it's kind of no one's business whether a person is pretty or handsome or not. Compliments are fun to get from the right person but unless I ask I really don't need to be evaluated by some random person. Think it or whatever, but keep it to yourself unless you have that kind of relationship where you know each other. Tell me something I said was right or laugh at my jokes but don't judge my appearance to my face unless I ask. Or you're actually hitting on me.

#2 AmyBee, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, this seems like such a harmless thing to be up in arms about to me. You can certainly find someone pretty without necessarily being sexually attracted to them.

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think I've ever had someone compliment me and feel like they're just trying to use up space in the conversation. Can they not just think you're pretty? I think the only thing getting you down here is your negative perception. And that last line - WHAT? You can think a flower is pretty, a painting is pretty, animals can be cute or majestic, you can think your mum looks pretty some day - just because you don't want to have sex with any of those things or even touch them necessarily doesn't mean you don't actually think they're pretty. Sorry, that answer was a bit salty, but I'm just telling you you'd have a much better time in life if you would just be happy when people are being nice to you.

5. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was merely saying that I find it pointless to compliment someone's outward appearance (unless you're looking to date). Physical appearance should be insignificant in most relationships.

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that it seems a silly thing to get upset about. Calling someone pretty doesn't have to have all this debate behind it, it's just someone being (or trying to be) nice.

7. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    not really, but thats probably because nobody has told me that (or that im handsome or anything) so maybe its still worth a lot to me, but not you beautiful people, lucky you!

8. Brytaleith

I don't really see a problem with complimenting someone on their looks? I mean, so long as it's done in an appropriate way, I'm absolutely fine with it.

I think you're reading too much into the compliment and the motive behind the compliment a tad too much. If I find your hairstyle compliments your outfit, I think you deserve to know and feel good about that and I'll say it, and hopefully make you day brighter than it already is. I don't really think like, oh that person looks sad so I'll throw them a compliment. When I compliment someone, it's because there's something I admire or envy about them and I think they deserve it.

Apart from that, I personally appreciate compliments a lot. I've got self-confidence issues, and people saying something good to me, no matter what, helps slightly. Even without a low self-esteem, I think sometimes the longer people spend time alone by themselves, they tend to gravitate towards thinking that they're ordinary, or boring, or ugly, and they lose confidence. I think sometimes, a bit of outside information helps them put their view back into perspective, and make them more confident again.

9. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, yes, it upsets me when I feel it's said out of pity. If it's genuine, fine. I feel like half the time, it isn't. I'm obviously self-conscious and would just rather not focus on looks. I feel like in saying this they're focusing on my poor looks. Overweight people don't like to be told they're skinny. Most would not be amused. It's a similar situation.

We're all different...we've all had different experiences. So I suppose not everyone here could understand my view.

A better compliment is "You're intelligent"; "You're hard working"; "You're easy to talk to"; etc...Something of substance...

10. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is more about your personal problems than it is the intent of the compliment, it seems, Focus more on building self confidence than over analyzing a basic compliment. I've never gotten the impression that someone says these things out of pity. I can understand not wanting people to focus so much on appearance, but unfortunately that's not the society we live in, and in the right setting, you may get compliment on your intelligence, wit, etc instead.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could get a lot more compliments before they start seeming empty :lol:

12. KayJay

I don't know what this says about me but I feel it means more coming from a stranger or friend than it does my BF. When my BF says anything nice I usually don't believe it because he is my boyfriend so of course he'll say those things. When a stranger, acquaintance or even friend compliments me on my looks I believe it more because I feel they have less reason to tell me.

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm such a compliment whore that I'll take it. I've gotten "you're hot" before and that can keep me going for a while :slight_smile:

14. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel like people never lie when saying "you're hot"...because frankly, it sends a particular intimate message that people wouldn't risk if they didn't mean it.

Female (usually) friends tell each other they're pretty all the time because they know they're supposed to...they don't necessarily mean it.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    All compliments are empty...

16. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think a person can recognize their flaws and still find confidence in themselves. Some people just don't look great at all but learn to better themselves in other areas and love themselves regardless. If I recognize that I am not great looking, it does not mean that I don't respect or love myself. I just don't like the white lies.