1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goths and Goth Fashion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Jul 27, 2016.

1. iiimee

Hey guys, just decided to make a discussion on this... What do you all think of goths?

Personally, I've always loved the way they looked, and while I'm not really apart of the "culture", and do enjoy the fashion and have become increasingly more "goth" with my fashion decisions over the years. I don't know about you guys, but I find a lot of the goth people I've talked to fascinating. The people I've met are very peaceful- I'd almost compare them to hippies, except of course hippies are more idealistic than goths and come from slightly different groups of people.

If anyone here is into goth fashion, I'd really love some advice. I'm, erm, doing a sort of project... with my face and hair... I really need to figure out some stuff with my clothes and hair... :icon_redf Shhh, nobody knows anything!

2. AlamoCity

Personally I dislike goth fashion. I do like gothic architecture, but that's about as "goth" for me. While I avoid labels, I would be what most people call traditional/preppy, which is the opposite of goth, I think. I was born this was lol. I still have pictures of me as a child with seersucker pants and a navy blazer with brass buttons and a bow tie.

The whole "anti establishment" of goth also bothers me. I tend to be more traditional. If I were to see a guy dresses "goth style," I'd probably swipe left lol.

3. iiimee

You're breaking my heart. :lol: Seriously though, I get what you're saying: Just like hippies, many goths are total anarchists, which does annoy me. Still, I don't think being anti-establishment is necessarily a bad thing. XD Really, I just find the fashion extremely attractive- Just my preference.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sort of a "Wannabe pastel goth" here I guess. I tend to overuse black with shades of bright purple, though my hair is a little dark since I can't find any good purple dyes here, it's more of the color of purple foliage but I prefer lavender. In terms of makeup I'm a little bland though, just sticking to the basics. I'd be perfectly content if everything I owned was jet black with neon purple designs however.

Fashion choices aside, whether or not I'm a part of the actual culture is quite questionable. I tend to vary greatly depending on the topic. When we talk about world culture I'm practically an anarchist due to the harm people cause, but when it comes to security I wouldn't mind hulking robots patrolling the streets every night and monitoring for dangerous activity.

As for the advice, I'm probably not the best one to ask since I tend to like bright highlights mixed in, I feel it really makes it stand out but not too much. As in standing out without being a walking Crayola box. :lol:

5. iiimee

^ Heh, nice to know! XD Personally, I'd be fine with zero colour- I know this might bother some people, but tbh I envy people who are even paler than me because I want their skin tone. <3 I mean, you can say I'm "racist" for desiring lighter skin, but really it's just an aesthetic preference for myself. :/ I don't care what skin tone everyone else is.

Pastel goth bothers me just a bit because I feel it goes away from the goth "style", but I totally get why some people enjoy it. XD And you like purple? Wow, considering what little purple is in your avatar, I'd have never guessed! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've always had a huge obsession with the Victorian era and steampunk, so maybe that's partly what I find appealing about the goth fashions, but when I look at the direction I want to go with what I wear, it's really an odd mix between the Victorian era, random supernatural folklore, some Japanese cosplaying influences, and of course Marilyn Manson, because Marilyn Manson is unique and deserves his own spot in my explanation. ^_^ Heh, I don't think I'd fit into the culture necessarily, mostly because I'm too passionate for most goths and too much of a pacifist for the really, um, "intense" goths.

6. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use to get called "goth" a lot, still do from time to time (it was mainly in high school, I don't see as many people now days). I have always enjoyed the dark fashion/clothing, make-up, music, culture, etc and have always had dark hair and pale skin but never labeled myself because I don't like labels. But, luckily I think the goth culture is neat and I really like it but most people just have no idea what it is, they just assume if you wear all black and listen to heavy music then it's "you're gothic!". Haha

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is true. Not that I claim here to know anything in particular, but I wonder why so many goths ignore the literature and the architecture, and many other musical styles, and ideas, and whatnot, being the world so full of interesting ideas and... okay... you wanted advice about your looks, there is a ton of ideas out there on magazines, but it's up to you to end up looking like yourself or somebody else... You are free to mix whatever you want, as long as you feel comfortable on it, and if somebody stares at you, then f... them...

Goths evolved from Punks, no wonder they seem anarchist ... I find them good, and if you want to know the truth, it would be more what's not to like about them (referring to the ones I know or I have ever met, of course)...

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they are very cool on both accounts, though I'm not goth myself so I cannot offer much in the way of advice.

9. faustian1

Send me some hippies (yum) and I'll send you some goths...:icon_bigg

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loverly. :love: I follow the "Suicide Girls" page on fb (they don't actually advocate suicide) which is all about goth-fashioned photo shoots. It's great.

I also like the historical meaning of the word, naturally, but I don't think that's what the OP was talking about.

11. AmyBee

I think sometimes its very cool. I mean, I've always liked darker more mysterious things. Pure Western-style goth isn't really for me, though. On a personal level. I can admire the look on other people and also their commitment to it, but if I were to take the plunge I really prefer gosurori here in Japan. I have some Gothic Lolita Bible issues and all that. It's less a steampunk/Victoriana thing here and more about Rococo.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Goth fashion and culture isn't a singular thing, and I do enjoy or admire lots of aspects of it. Hell, if you google "goth subgenres", you'll see what I'm talking about--since not every goth person the type who dances to Bauhaus or The Cure in cemeteries.

About Goth [stereo] Types - All Types

If I had to say where I fell, I was the loosest interpretation of "emo goth" and "geeky goth" when I was a teenager, and these days not so much--since I don't count enjoying goth rock and goth metal as making me "truly goth" anymore.

13. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love goth style or any other "edgy" styles. I just can't pull them off :frowning2: When I attempt goth makeup I end up looking Mexican or middle eastern instead. When I dyed my hair blue, I looked like a cosplay geek instead of a punk. I have no interest in cosplay or anime, so I'm in a dilemma. I actually love the cutesy Asian look on me, but I'm just not into the way other people perceive it.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  15. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    GUYS GUYS GUYS
    Everyone check out It's Black Friday on youtube! She ROCKS and she's got some really great videos on goth fashion.

16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, how odd- I was just talking with a friend about goth fashion on Facebook, when I saw this thread pop up. What a coincidence. :eek:

I don't think I'd ever go Goth, but we were having a discussion about it because this group for goth girls popped up in my suggested groups to join section.

I do like the style though, and I really used to like "Ruby Gloom" when I was younger, which is often described as Gothic but it has more of a cute edge to it. That's the kind of style I like (especially the little love hearts with crossbones, and the detailed swirls like with the penny farthing) - in fact, my first avatar was from that show. Perhaps I might change it back....hmm...

#16 Canterpiece, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  17. PrettyinPunk

I had a lot of goth friends in school. They were all pretty cool people. Despite the general misconceptions about them, all of the goths I knew were nice and chill folks. Being punk myself I've found I tend to get along well with goths, in most ways.

Its not my style but I think goth fashion is fascinating. It seems mysterious and captivating to me.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... I guess if I post here someone even better you'd have a heart attack, right?

(If you were emo, perhaps I would)

19. Andrea7579

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Goths look super cool!

20. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few years ago I was really into goth fashion and a bit into goth subculture, but I kinda drifted away from the style, but I still like the post-punk music.