1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Dye

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gunsmoke, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, a year or so ago I used to have purple hair and I really miss it!

Dyeing my hair back to purple would be a bad idea for several reasons:

1) I don't want to ruin my hair (although in all fairness I haven't dyed it in months)
    2) Naturally, my hair is dark blonde/red so trying to dye it back to my natural colour takes a long time
    3) My family would be so disappointed in me
    4) I'm starting to apply for jobs, and we all know how it's drilled into us that employers hate anything even remotely "edgy"

But I loved it, and I liked it even if my grandmother used to sigh and tell me it wasn't as nice as my natural hair.

So... Your thoughts?

Also, I want to know if any of you dye your hair, and if so, what colour? Or what colour would you dye it, hypothetically? :slight_smile:

(There are so many serious conversations on here, okay, let me be lighthearted in peace.)

#1 Gunsmoke, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've dyed mine bright red. It obviously doesn't look naturally red. It looks more like the crazy red hair anime characters have. I loved it, but it wore out. I would do it again, I see no issues.

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    my natural color is black and I've been dying my hair for like 15 years now, I've tried so many colors from silver to orange. I currently have a blue mohawk, I honestly don't really care what people think of it but I keep getting compliments. :slight_smile:

As for jobs, that can be tricky. I once worked as an accountant with lime green hair and I got funny looks but people still respected me. lol

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been dying my hair abnormal colors since I was a teenager (currently rocking turquoise and dark blue hair), so I can sort of relate.

1) In my opinion, the only way you'd really risk damaging your hair is if you use harsh products often; like bleaching your hair several times in a short period. That's where you'd run into a problem.

2) If you mean going from purple to your natural color, one thing you could do is use a dye that doesn't last too long; like Arctic Fox or Manic Panic, so that way you don't have to worry about the wait. You could also do different dye techniques, like doing only your tips or an ombre style fade.

3) Is there a reason in particular that your family would be fussy about it?

4) This is probably the toughest of the four. I would inquire with the places you plan on applying if they have a policy on alternative hairstyles, since some people are really conservative and stubborn about it and others don't care. I've been fortunate to work at an establishment that was very liberal about things like hair and body modifications, so I didn't have to worry about this.

If they're not picky, then you should be fine. If they are, you could see if hats are okay to wear on the job, so you could hide your hair that way.

In general, I would say to do what makes you feel comfortable and happy. If you're concerns are about workplace issues, then I totally understand your fears. If it's the acceptance and approval of your family, then I'd say to not worry about them and what they think--even though that's easier said than done. I hope this helped somehow.

5. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It did help, thank you!

1 & 2) Yeah, I've always been told that hair dye is basically satan for your hair, but I guess people tend to exaggerate. And I do use temporary dye for it, it's just that when my hair grows out I either have to dye it again, or walk around with really ugly hair. Maybe if I can find one that fades to a pinkish-red it would be easier.

3) Eh, it's not that I'd let my family tell me not to do it, it's more that my mum seems to think that my natural hair is the eighth wonder of the world, so whenever I dye it she gets all annoyed at me, and whenever I mention it to anybody else in my family - apart from my dad - they're like "no, that's a horrible idea". Really, this is the smallest issue of the four, it's just kind of off-putting, you know?

4) Ah, alright, thank you! I know that not all places are strict - I spent some time in hospital recently and some of the staff had very visible tattoos, so I guess that the establishment rather than the profession itself is the main issue. But I will ask, thanks. :slight_smile:

#5 Gunsmoke, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dyed my hair red all the time back in middle school. ^.^

It never did any damage. I don't think you have to worry about that. ^^

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to dye my hair dark red with bright red streaks, but recently I've dyed my hair a bright blue/teal kind of color. I adore it uwu

I would be careful if you go towards Manic Panic. I've heard terrible things about that brand from people who've used it. Not the color they want, it barely lasted, it messed up their hair, etc. I recommend...not that brand of temp dye, heh.

I don't think you'll have a problem with ruining your hair, especially since you've had a whole year gap. As long as you're careful, you should be fine, I think. And I wouldn't worry too much about dying your hair back to the natural color, especially if you use a temp dye.

Y'know, I remember I tried to dye my hair purple once and...there's a method where you use grape kool aid packets, apparently? Dunno how well it works, but it didn't work for me since my hair is naturally dark brown. It's kind of hard to get purple to show up on dark brown :lol: You might have more success with it since you have a lighter natural hair color.

For your family, I raise them not one, but two middle fingers. Huzzah. It's your hair, not theirs. In the words of some kindergarteners: "Nana nana boo boo".

Jobs can have different policies on it. There's probably somewhere that would be lax on the whole thing and let you by, even if you may be perceived as #Edgy.

Essentially my conclusion is "Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free"

8. kronixx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Who gives a damn if your hair is purple? If they aren't a bunch of old men in suits, they won't care. If they are, they're a bunch of biased pieces of crap. You're being you, and noone should deny that.

9. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think what I'll probably do in regards to (4) is wait until I have a job and then ask the manager about it. You need to look professional at interviews and all...

About my family - yeah, you're all right, they can deal with it! It isn't their hair, after all. I'm not dyeing the family hair.

Thanks again, everyone. :slight_smile:

10. KayJay

For over a year now I've been dying my hair black with purple and teal that falls down the side of my face. You can sort of see it in my profile picture I think. Eventually I might let the colour fade out but I'll probably be dying my hair black for a long time.

11. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have dyed mine a few times, my hair is naturally very dark brown. I dyed it jet black a couple of years ago, but didn't see much difference. I really liked it when I dyed it red, I sorta want to do it again but I also want to dye it purple as well.

12. timo

I work in a fashion/tech crossover company and a lot of my co-workers have green/blue/purple/silver/[insertcolourhere] hair, there are definitely jobs out there where it's no problem to look different from the norm :slight_smile:

I think about dying my hair blue-ish/green-ish sometimes but never did it cause I'm afraid it will look shitty on me. And I have dark blonde hair so need to bleach it first and I don't wanna go there.

#12 timo, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  13. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never dyed my hair, and while I think it looks cute on women, one problem I've seen is that especially with women who are naturally blonde and dye their hair blue or purple, when the color starts to fade it almost looks gray.

14. PrettyinPunk

I've never dyed my all of my hair completely before. I'm kinda worried if I do I'll never get my natural color back, which I love. I do dye my bangs though. In fact, now that the red has faded out I was thinking about doing purple next.

As for the employment aspect, I think it kinda depends. Some places don't care, and some encourage that look. I worked at a place once where they said they had a strict dress code and no crazy hair colors or piercings. When I dyed my hair and showed up for work I figured I'd get "talked to" about it. I ended up getting compliments instead, my boss actually said she loved it! Most of the younger employees had nose or lip/tongue piercings and one girl literally dyed her hair every two weeks, so eh.:lol:

15. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

My hair is currently purple for the summer and i got a lot of questions about because im in JROTC and its in the policy (even though its summer i go into the school to help the instructors) that you're not allowed to have unnatural colours, and i did it anyways. The only problem that i ran into was with my work, but since my Papa Johns uniform has a hat i just dyed the top part. So it was a compromise, but i have to get rid of it soon because school is coming back up and cant have unnatural colours in JROTC uniform.

So do what you want just make sure you follow your work policy because they can be pretty strict about it sometimes.

16. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never dyed my hair, but I kind of want to. My sister (who dyes hers) REALLY wants me to. But, I'm just too lazy, and indecisive about what color.

17. faustian1

Well, you'd better hurry. There are bankruptcies right and left in the hair dye industry, after my daughter turned 22 and decided to stop coloring her hair. Especially hard hit are the manufacturers of purple and other fluorescent dyes...

18. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have dark brown practically black natural hair and Ive had probably 30 different mixes of colours including: reds, purples, greens (including neon green), blues and blonde. I also once did 6 bleaches in the space of a week and my hair didn't even fall out. Just use decent product on it, coconut oil before you bleach and condition more than you shampoo and you'll be good. Yeah I see the disappointment in my families eyes every time they see me, from my stretched ears to my hair and honestly, if it makes me happy to look like this, I don't care what they think and neither should you.

My hair right now is blue but my roots have grown through and cause I've not bothered with upkeep recently. I work in Next which is a pretty nice retail store, they don't care. I know it depends on the kind of job but a good majority of employers can look past alternative looks and if they see that you're a good worker you'll get the job.

19. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I understand your feeling very well because I had several months ago a beautiful blue colour on my head and I want repeat it too :icon_bigg

[​IMG]

But this wish is stopped with the first reason of yours, yeah, that extreme damage for the hair... Especially considering that I need it to bleach too firstly for gaining such a bright colour :eusa_doh: My family don't bother about this my colour obsession but I'm an adult person so maybe because of that they don't pay much attention on this :icon_bigg
    Also if you has such a long pause between the dyeings, I don't think that the damage will be bigger than in the first time :icon_wink
    Andd I also want to try on my head smth from these colours 40 Kaleidoscopic Hair Color Ideas - Fashionable Looks To Try, especially the neon green :rolle:

[​IMG]

20. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TidMaskin, those hair styles are so nice! If only I could pull off short hair, haha.

I did it, anyway - my hair is purple and my boss is okay with it (although I don't think my Mum is too happy with me...).