1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are Your Plans For The Future?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Jul 31, 2016.

1. iiimee

Title says all- what do you plan on doing in the future? Whether it's something major or minor, please explain in the comments.

For me personally, I plan on entering a pharmaceutical career for the money. Of course, that'll be tough since it'll make me have to deal with student loans, but whatever- I'll be able to pay it off once I have a well-paying job. :/ I also plan on becoming independent as soon as I can, not just for myself to get out of this house but also so my dear friend Nathan (who's a trans man) can have a place to stay. Of course, I'd want him to find a job too, but as long as I can pay for an apartment for the two of us I'll be fine even with no electricity or whatever we have to deal with, though of course I doubt it'll ever get that bad. XD He lives with his grandparents who force him to dress like a girl and attend church, but yeah, I've offered to let him stay with me the second I have my own place about a year ago, and I'm sticking by that promise... My dad would always let him and me stay there, though I wouldn't want Nathan and me to stay at my dad's place just because my dad's... troubled. Still, that's just one of my goals in the future. I'm in a great program and have the best chances you could dream of when it comes to having a potentially amazing career... I told this friend of mine he should work on getting a scholarship and he is, so that's awesome... Any advice would be appreciated of course, though this thread isn't all about my future plans, so don't feel pressured to comment on this crazy plan. XD

2. carpenoctem308

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Most people laugh at me when I say this, but I really really want to be in a band. Like for my full time career. My backup plan is to be an art teacher.

3. Embi

Embi Guest

I don't have specific plans other than attending University in October and studying English or European Studies. And I plan on studying in England for some time. Maybe I'll also move there, I'll see.
    I'd love to be an author but I don't have the patience for that, so I guess that dream won't come true.

4. Jellyfish Clear

I have everything planned out in my head (whether it will all come to fruitation is another story).
    When I go back to school I will be entering sixth form and I am taking the subjects Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
    After that I plan to go to Southampton University and study Aeronautical and Astronautical engineering.
    After this it isn't that apparent as I would then love to work for either NASA or the ESA as an engineer but to be honest any aerospace company that deals with space will do.
    Along the lines I will apply to become an astronaut and hopefully become one if fate allows.
    Minor things I would love to do include getting a pilot license and a Scuba divers license.

#4 Jellyfish Clear, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan to go to sixth form after high school, and study Maths, Further Maths, and something else. My dream after that is to study maths at Oxford or Cambridge, or another top university. I'm hoping a Maths degree from a good university will put me in pretty good stead for employment. My maths teacher wants me to be an engineer. Then, if I get bored I might stand as an MP or something.

6. DaniC

iiimee,

I do have advice. It sounds like you have a solid plan. Very few young people do, but the ones that do and stick to it are usually very successful. The best advice I can give you is to not let anyone get in your ear and tell you that you shouldn't pursue your plan. That is a good field to go into. I will say this, if you can, work as much as possible through college without sacrificing your studies so you can take out as few loans as possible. The debt can be a burden. Inquire about work study programs and work summers if you can. Don't do anything that will cause your GPA to drop because GPA will be a big factor in landing your first job and also how much money you will make at your first job. How much money you make at your first job will basically set you up for each promotion and raise after that so really focus on your studies. It's the most important thing you can do to attain your goal. Have some fun while you're in school, but don't drink and party.

I know some people who attended The North Avenue Trade School in Atlanta, Georgia. It's more commonly known by it's formal title of The Georgia Institute of Technology, or Georgia Tech for short, it's a good school. Their main in state rival is The University of Georgia. It's a pretty heated rivalry.

But the people at Georgia Tech have a saying, "Work hard at Georgia Tech for four years, play the rest of your life, play hard at Georgia for four years, work hard the rest of your life."

I don't mean this to be at all derogatory towards any people who are attending or who have attended The University of Georgia. I think the statement can easily be applied to any school program on any level. If you go in to a one year, two year, four year, or graduate program with the idea that you are going to bust your rear end and graduate with the best grades you can, that will set you up for success for the rest of your life.

Good luck with your plan. I believe if you stick to it, you will find success.

A lot of what I wrote above absolutely applies here. But what you have to change is "I really want to" to "I'm a professional musician."

Robert Rodriguez (movie director) tells people who want to be filmmakers to stop telling people that they are aspiring directors and just go get some business cards made with their names on it that same "filmmaker." So don't listen to anyone that laughs at you when you say that. And then work hard at it. I'm a little old school, so when I'm thinking great guitar player at the moment I'm thinking Slash (although Eric Clapton definitely tops the list). But these guys didn't just kind of want to be the best. They didn't start out just kind of saying they wanted to be in a band. They just f'n did it and they worked hard at it. They practiced their craft. Moe Tucker decided she was going to be a professional musician and became one of the greatest drummers of all time through hard work.

I guarantee all of these people face ridicule at some point. They were told to get a real job that they weren't going to be successful. You just can't listen to that. That kind of talk isn't about you, when someone says stuff like that, it's actually coming from their own internal fear of failure and regrets over never having the guts to step out and doing something like that. It's basically jealousy.

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2016 at 10:10 AM ----------

To answer the question. I'm a filmmaker, I just haven't completed my first film yet, but that doesn't stop me from calling myself one (see above).

So I'm working on getting my ducks in a row, writing my story, and then going to produce an independent film probably while transitioning.

So, not much on my plate really.:roflmao:

#6 DaniC, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Long story short I have no fucking idea what I'm doing my life. Ideally, I'd like to find some super small, super liberal town and move away asap. :slight_smile:

8. DaniC

That sounds like a tall order. What about a liberal neighborhood in a larger city. I don't know anything about cities in Canada, but I'm thinking about cities like New York and San Francisco and wondering if there would be neighborhoods or boroughs in those cities that you would be happy to find a place to live and work in. Honestly, Atlanta, GA is a fairly progressive town, not perfect and you'd want to actually stay in Atlanta, but if you ever considered moving to the states there's an option. Or New Orleans.

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My primary goal at this moment is to earn my PhD. I'm getting there. And then I hope to become a professor :slight_smile:

Tomorrow I begin teaching my first college course as a grad student (with help). So I am certainly on the right path for what I want to do.

10. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Going to uni in September to study an MChem (Master of Chemistry) degree, so that's exciting. Not entirely sure if I know what I want to do after my degree, but I love learning about science, so I'm bound to be able to find something I enjoy doing with a chemistry degree :slight_smile:

11. Glowing Eyes

I still need to complete high school. I've made few thoughts about what comes afterwards. Transitioning's probably somewhere on the way.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, really. I can't come up with anything. >.<

13. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In less than a month I'll be going to university taking Theatre Production for a couple years, then I guess once I'm done that, I'm going to be trying to find a career in the field.

14. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the top of the list of careers I have that I'm interested in is Computer Security Analyst.

15. L0ser

I want to go to college for an English major, hopefully with a concentration in creative writing. It's not going to make me a lot of money or anything, but most of my teachers and parents think I should go into this field. Other than that I don't have clue. There are many problems I'd like to solve, but hopefully I'll live somewhere I like, doing what I love, and being with someone I love.

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have well crafted long-term plans because they could get scraped easily, so I tend to keep it quite simple.

1- Finish university (I'm starting this fall, so give it two to three years)
    2- Pay loans back (Should be easy enough with a job in translation)

Then, I'm planning on buying a chalet and/or immigrating to a European country and acquiring double nationality. Of course, I would really want a boyfriend to contribute to my plans. Put some kids in there and that plan seems pretty nice.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My main plans are just to make it to 30 safely.

In terms of dreams and ambitions, I'm hoping to get most of my transition out of the way and focus on a career in the arts; dedicating my time to being a face in the underground horror community--and with the supportive comments I've been getting over the past few days, I'm sure I'm in good hands and here's to hoping I already got a cult following in the making.

18. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My next step is college. I'm definitely majoring in Japanese but I'm considering dual majoring with International Business. Probably during my third year of college, I plan on studying abroad for a year (Probably in Osaka, Japan). After that I do want to go back to Japan and possibly teach Japanese through JET or a similar program, one of the Japanese teachers at my college also apparently works for the JET program so I could maybe make some connections to help with that. Eventually I want to go into translation for things like Games/Anime/Manga but I won't be good enough at Japanese to do that for a long time.

19. robotman

I really don't know... I would love to do so many things but... I just... I don't know where to start. :frowning2:.

20. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    World domination! :slight_smile: