1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer camp! How is it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by love dont judge, Jul 31, 2016.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've never been to an overnight summer camp. I've wanted to for awhile just to be able to get away from my parents to discover just how independent I truly am and as a challenge to myself, but I've never known how to approach the concept with my parents, as we already do A LOT of travelling over the summer and the school year itself. Well, after I've done some research, I found this amazing leadership camp for lgbtq teens and young adults. It's called Camp Brave Trails, located near Los Angeles. I really want to go and I've devised up a way that I can make sure that I'll raise enough money for it on my own by mowing lawns, raking leaves, and shoveling driveways in the neighborhood since I require A LOT of flexibility in my schedule which a part time job just doesn't provide.

I was just wondering if anyone here had attended any sort of summer camp and what it was like for you. Was it your idea or your parents? If it was yours, how did you suggest it with your parents? What sort of camp was it and what was it like? If you had to fly there alone, how did you convince your parents to let you do it (I think that that will be a major problem for me)? Did you actually learn anything from it?

Im just interested in seeing how many people here on EC have attended a summer camp and what it was like for them. Thanks guys!

#1 love dont judge, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Jellyfish Clear

I just recently finished a course that included a camp element in the first week. It was an outdoor adventure camp. Well the best thing about it was definitely being away from my parents and being independent, it was probably my favorite aspect. It was also a great place to challenge myself which was great but unfortunately I had some interpersonal problems with a load of people so I ended up feeling horrible as a result. I learnt teamwork is important but don't really trust others to get things done(pretty cynical o know...) As mine was pretty local so there wasn't much traveling. In regards to asking my parents I just straight up said so. I think it is best to be honest like that.
    But I am also in the same boat as you. I want to go on another camp (Space camp) at the end of August and it is in America (I live in the UK) which again I just straight up asked if I can go. The travel arrangements are going to be hard as my parents won't allow me to travel alone. But I am being persistent in my asking haha.
    So if you want to go on an overnight camp go for it! They are really fun and it is great to be away from your parents. I think, in my opinion, honestly is best. Just tell them straight up especially if you are paying.
    Good luck! (!)

3. Glowing Eyes

I had a really fun modding camp last summer (2015).

#3 Glowing Eyes, Jul 31, 2016
  4. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I figured with all the other travelling we do, I can at least offer to pay for it all myself, even though I know that if they say yes, I probably won't be paying for all of it lol. I'm sorry about your experience with other people there. I haven't heard of anything like that happening at Brave Trails. Maybe cause its already people who endure that stuff on a daily basis? I don't know. I know I should just tell them but I have a problem with being blunt with my parents a lot so I always kind of vaguely mention things then see into them. Thanks for the advice though! I might just ask my stepmom this week. (The earlier you apply, the more likely it is they'll give you even a small scholarship lol).
    Modding camp? That sounds pretty interesting. What was that like, if you don't mind me asking?

#4 love dont judge, Jul 31, 2016
  5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went when I was younger. All girls camp but still.
    First time I was terrified because it woukd be the longest I was every away from home, plus I know indoor not sleep well with other people in the room. I actually had lots of fun for the week.
    2nd time I knew I wasn't religious so going to a Christian camp because hard but I managed to make it just fine. I made some nice friends but we did have issues with there being spiders in the showers. It was only three days that time. Our church group went home early when one girl got homesick. So the people at church decided that if one comes home we all come home.

3Rd time.....Day before I wrecked my bike and the kickstand took a chunk out the side of my foot. I was determined to go to camp though. I limped a lot and feel behind the group and it was still bleeding by the second day, though I hid that fact. By third day I manage to keep up better, but then I feel down 3 steps and twisted my ankle. By the end of the day I was in the nurses office where I spent the night before they took me to the ER in the morning due to how swollen my ankle was and how red my bleeding chunkless part was. My ankle wasn't't broken, just badly twisted but should be fine. The other foot did have a slight infection so I was given something for that. They said i should of had stitches when it first happened but with 3 days having passed it had healed enough to not need them (I was a quick healer back then). I was sent back to enjoy my time at camp and given the okay to go on the hiking/camping trip set up for some of us. Which was great because when I returned that my friend from church who slept in the bunk above me had been worrying and crying when she learn that they had thought about sending me home. The only other incident happened after the camping trip. I was sent back to the nurses office when I broke out in red bumps the size of small sand dollars. I knew it was mosquito bites, but they feared it wad poison ivy. I had to explain I was mildly allergic to mosquitoes and that this was normal for me. Turns out my dad hadn't mention that in my medical form.

Summer camp was not my idea. I actually hated the idea at first. Someone at mybdad's church suggested it when he told them he fear I was losing touch with God and becoming a lesbian. (That seemed to be his fear since the day infirst drew breath though). He was easier to convince after he learned that the church woukd pay for me to go since we couken't afford it.
    I actually greatly enjoyed camp. I wished it were co-ed but I didn't mind it being only girls either. Didn't't help me believe in God, if anything it brought Toby attention how much I didn't't believe.
    We didn't't fly out to camp. It was a 3 hour road trip with 5 girls in a church band listening to boy bands and talking about boys.
    The food sucked but they had candy at the canteen. I only ended up missing my brothers but not much. I actually developed a few social skills and some confidence.

I kinda wish I could go back to camp. Wish there was a summer camp for college students. Like all the childish fun of kid summer camp but for adults.

6. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry it sounds like you were injured a lot while at camp. At least no one messed with younthough, right? Lol. I'm glad you did end up enjoying it though. I plan on explaining to my parents the importance of being able to get out and try new things and experience new culture, which an lgbtq camp will definitely do for me, as I live in a conservative and close minded as crap town. Alas.... I feel like it would benefit me so much. Thanks for the reply. I love hearing all of your responses about your trips to camp!

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I was an accident prone child and summer was usually when I got injured the most.

Summer camp is a great place to make friends. It helps with social skills and builds confidence, plus with your camp being LGBT friendly it will benefit you even more wit understanding yourself.

8. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea. Plus it's workshops are all about activism, which I'm pretty interested in, and like body image and self esteem and such. I feel like it would help me with running this support group I'm going to try t get started at my school.
    I've known a couple people like that. I thankfully hardly ever got injured despite my childhood stupidity and naiveness. Lol.
    I hadn't thought of the social skills and confidence part of camp... I may have to bring that up with my parents. Thanks!

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been to a summer camp before but I won't talk about it because my experience was awful but the thing you're planning on sounds great, so I don't want to put anyone off.

10. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you didn't have a good time. Thst mustve sucked? Was it your idea? Or your parents/guardians?
    I'd love to hear about the rest of everyone's experiences at camp to! I'm enjoying learning the different camps thst everyone has gone to.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was actually my teacher's idea originally, he heard about the camp and thought I'd be interested, so told me and my parents about it (it was a camp for gifted/talented kids).

12. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh. I'm sorry... People would probably think that I'd enjoy it but I'm more annoyed with the term "gifted" when it's applied to me. Was it a nearby camp or did you have to travel for it?

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was about an hour and a half away, in the middle of nowhere.

14. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. So it wasn't flyworthy or anything. Im a bit nervous about that. Even if my parents let me fly (highly uncertain) I've never flown before that I remembe (once when I was like, 2) and I'm not really sure what to expect or how well I'd do at two of the busiest airports in the US (Chicago and Los Angeles) as my first flights, and by myself. Anyone have any experience with flying as well?

15. Glowing Eyes

It was a 5-day camp teaching how to make basic Minecraft mods. I don't even play Minecraft and I liked it a lot. The only downside was that other than myself and a few others, everybody else there was like 2-3 grade at most. Although that was kind of a positive 'cause it made me feel a bit more intelligent 'cause they couldn't do that much.