1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate Religion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tazz, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazz

tazz Guest

and in particular, Chrisitianity and Islam

And to preface, there are two kinds of believers; ideologue and lapsed believers. I'd say 90% fall into category 2, the lapsed believers which really just believe in their doctrines but not take them literally. Christmas is more about the presents, Jesus is nothing more than the guy in the sky looking after them, etc etc. Most of these people would not be able to name the 10 commandments either and probably don't care at that. These people I have no problem with. Category 2, the stringent believers I feel are doing more harm than good and it's been going on forever.

I remember reading a book on gay marriage (I apologize I can't remember the name) and this whole homophobia ordeal is certainly nothing new, especially amongst the hypocrites. I'll give you an example, Constantine the Great had two sons who became emperors and were one of the first (if not THE first) to declare homosexuality illegal. Turns out that one of the sons, Constans, was later shunned for having male lovers himself (shocker!)...he was back then what Ted Haggard is today.

It doesn't stop there in terms of religion, for instance...Christians will speak out against incest but will completely ignore the incestuous relationships in the Bible (Abraham & Sarah come to mind). Muslims will speak out against pedophilia but will never mention their prophet's relationship with a 6 year old girl (name Ai'sha) who he later married when she was 9.

See, people will often tell me [I]"...but it's not the religion that's evil, it's just the people who interpret it that way"[/I] - I'm sorry, but I interpret it the same way it's written. I believe instead of being a bridge it's a gap, it's the cause of endless wars and it all has to do with the "we're right, you're wrong" mentality. My respect for their 'faith' ends as soon as it infringes on my rights, and I think these days people are too soft on religion on the basis that they're afraid of "offending" some people.

I'm just curious to know how gay people are ever going to convince the fundamentalists that what we do is none of their business, and what they believe is none of ours? Can they not disagree and still respect the choices people make without being epic douchebags about the whole situation and try to make our lives as miserable as theirs?

2. pookie

pookie Guest

I also am anti-religious. It is impossible to convince fundamentalists that their religion is incorrect because it is an emotional belief rather than a logical one.

3. Kirakishou

You can't, to put it bluntly, people will always feel that they have a need to "correct" other people's lives. Whether they actually act out on it or not is what makes the difference.

4. tazz

tazz Guest

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to look at it logically, I mean, are they just stupid or something?

I don't like death metal, actually I hate it. But what a waste of time, energy, and critical thinking on my part to go out and try to ban something that I personally do not like. What somebody listens to is none of my business and the fact that I ever make it my business should give them the right to "offend" me any way they wish.

Just look at some of these videos...it just pisses me off to see these assholes roaming around trying to implement their fairytale beliefs ON EVERYONE ELSE

[YOUTUBE]6mDI2K9n3S0[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]I6ShYuqotPk[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]R9jQLQZkbHQ[/YOUTUBE]
    What a waste of space...we should never be ashamed to stand up to these scumbags

5. pirateninja

I'm going to close this. We have plenty of religious members on EC and the title alone is enough. If you want to start up a non-biased discussion on the subject, feel free. But this thread is being closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.