1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomboys: Phase or for life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My recent birthday has marked a special moment in my life.

I have always considered myself a tomboy, but lately the thought of dressing a bit more feminine and wearing make-up every now and then has really been plaguing my mind. I'm still a jeans and t-shirts kinda gal, but I want to look ... pretty (?) sometimes too. I will be going through other major life changes, which includes, but is not limited to, losing weight, being more active, getting involved with the SPCA as a volunteer, quit drinking and also quit smoking. And I want people to notice me more.

I've gone through so many image changes, from cutting my hair, to dressing more butch, to growing my hair out again and dressing more neutral. Well, now I've got this crazy idea in my head to start wearing prettier tops and take better care of my appearance. I don't know if I'm growing out of my tomboy stage though. I still like and enjoy the stuff that I have before. That much hasn't changed. But I'm worried that I have to now, yet again, find my own style :eusa_doh:

At the end of the day, all I really want to do is relax in my jeans and a comfy t-shirt with my sneakers and hair tied back in a ponytail, no make-up and no nail polish...

Why do I suddenly feel like I want to change my way of dress? (Amongst other things mentioned above)

Am I growing out of my tomboy "phase" or will I always be a tomboy, just not quite as casual (or as my mom calls it, sloppy)? Is it okay for a tomboy to sometimes wear make-up and more feminine tops? I'm not saying flowers and lace and bows, dresses, skirts, heels and other stereotypical girly-girl stuff. Just like wearing button shirts instead of t-shirts, for a neater appearance. And wearing my hair loose more often. I've been told by a few people now that I have beautiful hair, and been asked on a few occasions why I never wear my hair loose. I just don't know what's going on with me now all of a sudden :rolle:

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand how being a tomboy is almost like an identity and how changing from that can feel a bit strange, but I say dress how you like. Don't limit yourself because you are worried about losing that identity, in my opinion wearing makeup and more feminine tops from time to time does not make you any less of a tomboy. I consider myself a tomboy and mostly wear hoodies and fairly loose fitting clothes in general, but sometimes I just feel like leggings and a more form-fitting top and then that is what I wear on that day. I also wear makeup whenever I feel like it. It is rarely more than eyeliner and mascara, but sometimes I like the way I look in it and other times I just can't be bothered. I rarely wear my hair down simply because I don't like the way it looks that way, but I would totally do it if I felt like it.

I don't think you need to worry about finding your style again, you probably just need to expand on it because you have a wider style than you previously thought. Which is not a bad thing, it means there you have more options for what to wear. :slight_smile: Nor does it not erase your tomboy identity in my opinion.

Oh, and great job with all the changes! Those are all awesome! :thumbsup:

#2 HappyGirlLucky, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a tomboy and I do sometimes wear girlier things and I think it makes me look pretty hot, but generally I prefer menswear. I don't think my style sense is too lazy though, I follow menswear blogs and things and try to be sort of put together in a more artfully messy way. I wear my hair out and curly, again that's part of my artfully messy thing, but yeah, I take care about how it looks and I don't like to have it in a ponytail much, I like to celebrate it. I also sometimes wear makeup both with more masc and fem outfits, though I'm sort of trailing off of that because I'm bad at it and it usually ends up a bit too fem with the masc outfits I prefer.

Being a tomboy is definitely the main thing in life I identify with since it permeates into my look, hobbies, mannerisms, social life, everything. It's a constant in my life and I really like that. There was a period between about 10-16 that I thought I might be growing out of it at least in terms of style (I never thought about dumping boyish hobbies) but I never at all commited. I think I more wanted to look like a popular girl and fit in but I knew that was so not me, so I wore a few more girly peices but I never put effort into getting the look down and still looked boyish. Once I commited to being an actually put together sort of tomboy that was much more exciting. Taking care in your appearance is not girly and untomboyish. I think it's just an important part of modern life - even men do it, and so I take inspiration from the wonderfully groomed stylish men of the world.

But tbh as I said, it seems like a safe natural thing to me, so I never feel the need to prove it, so wearing a dress or something doesn't seem like a threat to my tomboy identity and it shouldn't to you either. Makeup especially shouldn't since men like actors and stuff wear makeup, and if you learn how you can masc or fem up your makeup depending on how you're feeling. More flowery patterns don't even need to make your look particularly girly - when I think about doing flowery patterns I'm thinking more of being a sort of flower power hippy dude and you can totally style it that way. There are so many options and no matter what options you take, until you forsake your favourite boyish clothes forever and become a beautician I think you can call yourself a tomboy.

#3 SHACH, Aug 3, 2016
  4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes certain labels can be beneficial, other times they can be limiting, and sometimes a label stops you defining yourself as the person you are when you put too much thought into it. You feel like you have to abide by this label, because you've worn it for so long.

I'm somewhat of tomboy, but I have a feminine side. I'd say I have a fairly androgynous personality, although some days I feel more masculine and some days I feel more feminine . I just go with it.

I'm not a great fan of skirts or dresses, or make up- but I like messing with my hair and seeing what I can do with it. Usually my attempts at styling it ultimately fail, but that's part of the fun of it- I like being able to laugh at myself when it doesn't turn out right- particularly internet tutorials (they're usually not a great mix with my hair) I think if I were to properly style it I'd have to straighten my hair first. Which can take a while, seeing how much frizz I have- although heat isn't great for my hair seeing as it's so dry.

I can still try out new partings though when I get bored though. I also like feminine T-shirts like ones with butterflies and flowers.

I tend to have more masculine mannerisms, and my voice varies a lot in terms of how feminine (or not) it sounds. My general interests/hobbies are mixed...so yeah.

I've never really felt like I quite fit into the "tomboy" label or the "girly-girl" label. I'm somewhere in-between. I wouldn't worry about such labels- just, you do you. :slight_smile:

#4 Canterpiece, Aug 3, 2016
  5. AmyBee

As a trans woman, I've always identified more with tomboys. Exploring that option felt right after years of growing up feeling like one and always identifying with tomboys I knew or ones I read about or saw on tv. I felt like a skater punk tomboy with a girly side for the longest time. I still think of myself as something of a tomboy but as I've gotten older I've found myself a lot more girly-girl or femme. Probably primarily so. But I still have that tomboy streak and wouldn't let go of it for anything.

6. PrettyinPunk

Some girls go through a tomboy phase and later grow out of it and identifying with that label. This normally happens before adulthood, but hey it's your life, label however you want.:icon_wink

Just because you change your style to incorporate more feminine clothes, makeup, ect doesn't make you less tomboy like. Some tomboys straight, gay, bi, are more feminine, some more masculine. Besides imo being a tomboy is more about attitude and energy than articles of clothing.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks to each one of you for your wonderful replies (*hug*)

I doubt I will fully outgrow the tomboy phase, but I'm experimenting a little with different looks, and have done so for many years. I am a little scared and nervous making all these changes to my basic appearance, but I am also excited to see the "new" me. For now though, I'm more than happy to wear my "sloppy" clothes. Well, I call it comfortable, my mom calls it sloppy :dry: I'll just roll with whatever tickles my fancy. At heart though, I guess I'll always be a tomboy :icon_wink :grin: