1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Vitro Fertilization and Choosing Traits

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Aug 4, 2016.

1. iiimee

So for any of you who don't know what this is, here is a VERY SIMPLE summary: Children to Order: The Ethics of 'Designer Babies'

Anyway, I'd like to know what everyone thinks of this. Personally, I am totally for choosing the genetic traits of a child, but of course I know many people here will disagree with me. I just want to see, overall, where everyone on EC stands regarding this issue.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

#2 Secrets5, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Unless it's for curing diseases, genetics shouldn't be fucked with.

Imho, people being people, we'd start trying to make a perfect designer race and descriminating against those that aren't perfectly designed. Pessimistic, but my opinion .

#3 HM03, Aug 4, 2016
  4. iiimee

See, I understand what you guys are saying, but I just think that the possibility of the child getting special treatment shouldn't completely block parents from changing the traits of their child. I mean, maybe you guys won't agree, but if I could look at the different traits of my potential children in the future and one had down syndrome, I wouldn't give birth to that one. If I only wanted one child but I had the option between two children- one gay and one straight- I'd choose the straight one. :/ Personally, I think it should be done to give a child the easiest life possible, but I also think that- if some parent wants their child to have blonde hair and blue eyes, they should be able to have that child. >_< If they want a boy, they should be able to have a boy child. Sorry, but I've seen couples struggle to have a child of the gender they want- they'll have eight boys before they FINALLY get the girl child they've always wanted, and sure, they love their other children, but they wouldn't have even needed to have those extra kids if they could have just had that one wish granted sooner. Maybe their wishes are silly, but even still, blocking people from choosing traits wouldn't stop people from having favoritism over the child who seems the smartest in a subject, or preferring their girl child once they finally have it. The only thing blocking parents from choosing these traits does is give them unnecessary kids or making them have unnecessary abortions they never needed to have. :/

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you looked into the boy-girl ratio in China? There are some interesting documentaries on it (I'd suggest looking at the newer ones though). I just thought I'd bring this up as it kind of links into this- when you mentioned about parents being able to pick their child's sex it made me think about that so yeah...

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Right - but what if this ''girl'' they had is really a boy. When he comes out and tells his family that, isn't it going to make them more likely to disown him since he's no longer the ''girl'' they wanted? [I think only choosing the sex is possible, and not gender]

You might not see it this way - but purposefully choosing the straight gene is no more homophobic than disowning a child for being gay. The only difference is is that you can't tell the child you've disowned them as they haven't been born yet. But it's still rejection only because they're gay.

Sure, it might prevent unnecessarily abortions and children, but then the parents need to be told about still treating the child right if they don't turn out ''in their image''. They might have chosen the genetics, but they haven't chosen the person who those genetics turn out to be.

#6 Secrets5, Aug 4, 2016
  7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not in total approval of this.

I wouldn't like for someone to decide who I should be, or who their kids should be. And sure, the kid wouldn't know the difference if they never experienced it, but it also creates a society with more discrimination and the ability to make us more...boring. No variety.

I have Asperger's, and if my parents chose to not make me have Asperger's, they might have, but it also would have erased a huge portion of the person I love. Those with AS are usually more logically intelligent, we ignore gender roles, we ignore social standards, and we be ourselves in the face of everything. Maybe I wouldn't have known the difference, but I would have just been a carbon copy of everything else. There would be nothing unique about me and nothing valuable about my life.

I wouldn't want to be born straight, and as dramatic as it sounds, I'd probably be more depressed. I love being gay. Especially if I still had asperger's, where, keeping in mind that most people with AS hate gender roles and social constructs, it would have made me miserable. Let's face it, straight relationships suck for women (and men too). We are limited in gender expression, we face pregnancy and more life threatening STDs (if you are a woman), women face really stupid sexist double standards (Like how I have to look like a perfect model all the time, but men can be fat and have foot long beards and that's ok), Or how men are more pressured to pay on the first date, How straight women take advantage of men and abuse them because "they shouldn't fight back", How straight women don't feel as much physical pleasure as lesbians do since oral/hands cause the most pleasure compared to PIV (and I would be limited to PIV only and wouldn't be allowed to dislike it....).

Maybe I sound heterophobic, but there is so much I hate about heterosexuality after coming to realize that being homosexual is FREEDOM to me.

As for not getting to pick a gender, that doesn't always work out the way you think it would. The 8th child who is finally a girl, may end up being a trans guy. Likewise, she might not be trans but incredibly gender non-comforming. I knew a couple who had 6 kids, and when they FINALLY had a girl, she hated skirts/dresses, refused to shave, cut her hair, was only into masculine activities. She was almost a stereotypical macho dude in so many ways. So either way they never got the stereotype they wanted. And lets face it, most of the gender disappointment comes from socially constructed gender roles.

#7 Creativemind, Aug 4, 2016
  8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell to the no.

This would lead into perfectionism of the human species. The perfect race from Hitler comes to mind. I know for real that if this was available, I wouldn't have been born. You may deem my life ''shitty'', but I damn well want to live it regardless.

As for sicknesses, I'm not even sure we should mess with that either.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think both sides have some good points, so... I'm undecided. Maybe only allow people to choose a few certain traits, like hair and eye color? I don't know...

10. ChameleonSoul

Absolutely not! Messing with genetics like this will only harm humanity in the long run. From the way that humans behave and interact with each other, this sounds like a great way to add on to the rampant classism that's been present since the beginning of civilization. Messing with nature has never been good for keeping balance in the world either. The best example in my opinion is the uneven ratio of AMAB and AFAB children in countries such as China. Because of society's ignorance, we've seen crises in nations where there is simply not enough women since they were all aborted (which are only now starting to be alleviated).

TLDR: Messing with genes like this will lead to shit hitting the fan yet again.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't agree with this at all. By allowing people to pick and choose what features they want on their child, life loses its value. It becomes a commodity for anyone to create and use to satisfy their own wishes. Isn't that slavery? The world isn't a video game where you get to choose your character and delete it as soon as you're done.

12. Cinis

Cinis Guest

For one my child can chose who they want to be including hobbies interests etc. obviously nature already takes a huge place in that but i feel that by choosing certain things for my child that might be so tightly linked to their inner identity i am somehow dictating them who and what they should become. A child does not have to be great in maths in order to deserve love and i believe some people would forget that and try living out their dreams through their children or deciding what's best for them more than they already do.

Also mistakes are human..so why should we try to erase them?

13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed. I wouldn't have been born either, but then again I don't think much of my family would have been if we somehow travelled to a world where such a possibility existed.

This question kind of reminds me of another- "Why don't we all speak the same language and drop the others?" and I have a similar response: because we'd have to decide which traits we deemed worthy of keeping/which language was the best- and since there isn't really a "best language" you can bet that there would be a lot of arguments that would lead nowhere.

But let's say we pick said traits, and other parents bully those that didn't pick said traits. Traits that were deemed to not be "perfect" would die out. Let's take Hitler's "perfect race" example- all blonde haired, blue eyed white people.

Ok, so now what? Well...there's the problem of inbreeding that comes to mind. By picking these traits you have essentially removed any genetic variation from the population.

"But couldn't the blue eyed, blonde haired people just pick traits they want to add back in to the population if said world was limitless?" Well...they could, but you have to keep in mind that these blue eyed-blonde haired people would have been brought up in a world that has essentially told them that they're the best for having these traits. They might not want to give them up so easily. They may do eventually, some where down the line- but the damage would have already been done by then.

"Ok, so why not have them all just stay like that, with no variation at all?". Because inbreeding causes issues. You would get to a point where the general population would see nothing wrong with themselves, so they would most likely mate naturally and not edit their offspring.

Let's step away from this example and go to another- dog breeds. If you've done anything about genetic engineering at school, you've most likely done about dog breeds. In particular, inbreeding. Or perhaps you've done about royalty, and upper class inbreeding because they don't want to mate with those of a lower class so they mate with their own family.

Inbreeding causes certain traits to get stronger, but this isn't always a good thing. What started out as a good thing- let's say a small nose that was deemed "cute", can cause problems as it goes down the generations (the nose becomes stubby, to the point of restricting air from passing in and out of the nose, and also blocking the free-flow of mucus which if you're sick would usually push out the stuff that your body is trying to keep out. But if it's blocked, well...have fun having a stub for a nose that's blocked up with mucus and you have to go around breathing with your mouth exclusively all the time.

Likewise, if you had a really pointed nose that was repeatedly passed down generations, that would cause problems too.

The world relies on genetic diversity. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's a bad thing. But it's better than everyone being the same. Do you really want us to end up like some dog breeds have? And all the health problems that come with that?

Personally, I think I'll pass. I like living in such a diverse world, it makes things interesting.

#13 Canterpiece, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  14. RavenPond

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay. I think that in vitro fertilization is being turned a bit negative here. It's a way for parents to have children when they've tried for a long time and it seems impossible. My brother, twin sister, and I were all born through in vitro fertilization, and it's not a bad thing. It's not usually used for genetic purposes. It's just used so someone can have a child when they've near given up.
    I believe that choosing your child's genetics is wrong and takes away genetic diversity, like many of you have said, but I just want you all to know that in vitro fertilization is not bad. It's just a way for people to have children. That's all.

15. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't feel that anyone was talking badly about in-vitro, to be honest. The original poster however asked us about the ethics of choosing genes, which is what we answered.

I personally think in-vitro is a good thing for couples who have trouble reproducing.

16. iiimee

I get what you're saying, but as I said, most parents who want this aren't expecting the child to be exactly "in the image"- but they do want some of their traits. Also, no, it's not more homophobic to choose a straight gene in your child than to reject the child once that gene's already activated. >_> Obviously you don't know how genetics work, but choosing "male" or "female" at this stage could eliminate the possibility of the child being transgender or intersex too. Of course complications could occur during this process and of course not every transgender person is biologically transgender so the child could still identify that way for social reasons, but you're acting like controlling these traits in a human before they're born is impossible, when in fact it's quite possible. It may sound like crazy science and you might not approve of it ethically, but to deny it works is preposterous.

Also, to the person who brought up China, I'd like to mention that China at the time did not have this technology but they did kill their female children anyway, and really, anyone who REALLY doesn't want a female child probably won't stop because people blocked in vitro fertilization in their country or region of the country. Just like abortion, people will take things into their own hands if you deny them the right to deal with the embryo however they please.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2016 at 08:53 AM ----------

I get what you're saying, but unfortunately, whether you like it or not, most people wouldn't say their flaws are their "freedom", and all of your argument does come from a very emotional "But look at me now." perspective. I am looking at you now, and honestly, nothing you said has convinced me. :/

That's a HUGE jump, and arguments like that are exactly the same arguments people use to say abortion should be illegal. Honestly, I think choosing traits is a lot more human that abortion, and I'm pro-choice! Also, you don't think I should have the right to have a child without down syndrome who will live more than the expected 60 years at most? >_> Wow... just wow. If you think we shouldn't be able to prevent sicknesses, then you're condemning so many people to that fate.

Again, people will kill or abandon their children if they don't want them regardless of if we can choose traits. Actually, the rates of infanticide might DROP if you allow this to be a thing...

In that case, all of life is slavery. All of us from the very beginnings of our lives depend on someone and our lives our structured by how they raise us at least slightly. Even after this point though, people can make choices that will change us, and there's honestly very little we can do about it. You didn't know you were going to get PTSD when that man pulled a gun out and robbed you, but you did. You didn't know you'd meet the love of your life at the park, but you did. You didn't know you'd lose a finger cooking dinner that night, but you did. This is just giving the parent a little more control over the individual they'll have to raise for at least eighteen years, and honestly that sounds very reasonable to me. If I could, I wouldn't be transgender and I wouldn't have a thyroid issue, but I do. I can't prevent it- those things were how I developed, but if I could I would go back and change those. You can call it slavery if you want, but I really don't see how that's anything short of freedom from crippling flaws that can, in some instances, ruin your life.

:/ Sometimes it's just common sense what is best for the child. If I can make my child a genius, I'll obviously choose to make them a genius. If I can make them athletic, I'll obviously choose to make them athletic. These parents, for the most part, WILL love their child no matter what, but I don't think it's bad to grab hold of every opportunity you can get for your child, even before their birth, and I don't think its bad to choose some of their other traits either.

Ever heard of a false analogy? Oh well, I've already responded to these points. :/

17. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No. Natural diversity must be preserved. We can see from past experiences that trying to control nature results in chaos. We see this in how we've treated the evironment, animals, crops etc. Why would we impart this destructive behaviour on ourselves? Trying to convince myself of the advantages, I only start to echo nazi ideals.

18. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @iiimee

You have way too much faith in the human species. Look at human history and tell me it is far-fetched to think humans would try to perfect their offspring and essentially divide themselves again. You already have people who judge others for adopting since their offspring ''won't look like them''. Making them able to choose the traits will only aggravate that.

As for the abortions, not only is that a completely different subject, but you're implying that I'm all for abortions which (spoiler alert) I'm not.

For the sicknesses, since humans have such a problem maintaining their population, making them immune to everything just might not be the best idea. Just saying.

19. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't view being a lesbian as a flaw in anyway. You can say that gay people are oppressed, but you know who else is oppressed? Women, including heterosexual ones. Straight women especially are oppressed by straight men, which makes their sexuality unique and imo more dangerous. Either way, I'm living a life of oppression so I don't get your point about flaws. If your argument was to work, shouldn't I have just be born a straight man if I wanted to avoid having a "social flaw"?

Also, misandry runs in my family. Every straight woman in my family either hates men, wants to stay single, or wants to hurt/abuse men as 'revenge', so I don't see how the straight gene would make me happier. My parents wouldn't think as far to remove the misandry gene in my family, and even if they did, I would still learn to hate men and hate my heterosexuality through the environment and actions of my family. (I removed the longer explanation for this as it was unneeded)

Genetic diversity is a good thing. Also, on the gender thing, what if people ONLY wanted boys because again, men have more power, especially in China. It would mean as a human race, we would die out eventually.

#19 Creativemind, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. iiimee

What oppression in the western world do women face exactly? Also, being straight wouldn't make you a misandrist even if your family is- misandry is learned. And I already explained the China thing: Choosing traits like gender for your child will NOT completely wipe out any gender, but it's not like preventing people from choosing traits will stop them from killing off their child, abandoning it, or doing something else because they didn't want a child of that gender. The argument that we should prevent it because some people might use it for racist or sexist means is the same argument people use against abortions. Actually, if anything, giving people a choice will DECREASE INFANTICIDE because people in countries like China will finally get a choice and won't have to resort to killing newborns. Sorry, but you can't stop someone from choosing their child's gender without consequences like infanticide. :/ That's been proven by China.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2016 at 12:45 PM ----------

Well, I can't change your opinion if you're not for abortion or choosing traits, but yeah, I still do think it's incredibly far-fetched to assume choosing traits will create a huge divide between people. :/ Every country has a different idea of what is beautiful, and if countries ever want to work together they will have to understand that. Not all countries do, but letting people have children according to their standards won't suddenly turn back time and make the countries who understand that turn into monsters, and honestly, countries like Russia and China won't be changing much if you give them this piece of technology.

I'm sure that if it was possible to even make any human immune to everything, we would have done it by now. :/ but yeah, I'd totally want my kid to be immune to the flu if I could. Maybe that's selfish of me, but I don't think this technology will even be widespread enough for it to be a big deal.