1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about my best friend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend is overweight, like me, a diabetic, a year older than my mom :slight_smile:eek: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and she is recently divorced (February). She is also covered in tattoos. Her arms, legs from the knees down, chest and back are all covered in tattoos. It suits her because she's a very bubbly, outgoing and crazy person. But there are two things that worry me about her. One is her promiscuity and the other is her love for all things alcohol...

Her (ex) husband held her back socially. She loves hanging out with people, but he was (and probably still is) a very boring and reserved person. They spent their weekends at home, just drinking and watching tv. He left her for another woman, and since their divorce, my friend has been a little emotional. They were estranged for about 18 years before he finally said he wants a divorce. So in a way, she didn't really lose anything when he left.

Soon after the divorce, my friend met a musician, with whom she fell deeply in love with. The problem is, he told her right from the start that there won't be anything more than friendship between them. They slept together and she spent a helluva lot of money on him. He's very stingy and selfish (he's 62). But yet my friend fell for him, hard. He moved far away and she decided to tell him not to contact her again if he's in town. Then he started making moves on me. Flirting via text, etc. I put a stop to it as soon as it started, and also sent him packing. My friend is still not quite over him, and she cries for him whenever she drinks.

This past Monday my friend and I went out for a beer, and we ran into a man she'd met a while back. They both got drunk and kissed and cuddled, and she went home with him. I just feel it's too much too soon. Not only was she bedding every second man she meets, but her drinking's really out of control. She can't drink "just one". Every time she drinks, she gets drunk. When I got back home on Tuesday, I sent her a long message to express my concern for her wellbeing. I can't remember it word for word, but it was something along these lines:

"I'm really worried about you. It seems to me like you're on this rollercoaster ride and like you're trying to drown your sorrows with alcohol. And I'm also worried about the fact that you sleep with every second man that shows even the slightest bit of interest. It's not healthy for you to be this reckless and promiscuous. I know it's not nice to hear, but as your friend, I feel it's necessary to tell you this and make you aware of what you're doing to yourself"

She responded positively, thanked me for being so honest and upfront with her, and there was a good amount of banter and I sent her another inspirational message, basically telling her that she's a beautiful woman, and that she deserves - and will find - happiness. Not necessarily with a man, but within herself. She will succeed and make the best of her life. Perseverance pays off.

She again thanked me for the wonderful words of encouragement. I told her about my plans of quitting drinking and smoking and it seems like that has triggered something inside her to also quit drinking, or at least scale way down. Not to blow my own trumpet but I think I'm making a difference in her life by making small changes to my own life, which will inspire her to follow suit. We get along very well, and I think this friendship will only grown stronger in time.

I'm not really looking for advice, just wanted to share the story with all of you :grin: