1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever had that moment where you realized you fully accepted yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BelieveinLove94, Aug 5, 2016.

1. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had that moment a week ago. Used to when someone, usually my stepdad or someone in his family, talked badly about gay people, I felt ashamed and disgusted with myself. I would want to crawl in a corner and cry. Well last week, my stepdad started talking badly about gay people again. He was saying that homosexuals were disgusting and needed mental help. This time though, I didnt feel ashamed. I felt angry, not with myself but with him. I started thinking, "He is so wrong, being gay is as normal as breathing." So I stood up to him and said, "it is not sick, if anything, it's homophobic people like you that makes LGBTQ people afraid to come out. It is completely normal and I won't stand here and keep listening to your homophobic comments. My mom and I have gay friends who we love and you can keep your homophobic comments to yourself."

I swear the world stopped. My stepdad gave me this blank stare. My eyes got wide, I had never stood up to him before, actually his temper scared me and I never knew if one day he would snap and hurt me somehow. My mom just stood with me and said she agreed with me. He walked off and barely said a word to me since.

Now I feel pride, not shame. I'm a lesbian and I'm proud. Have you ever had a moment where you thought, "Finally, I'm proud of who I am and I've accepted myself "? It's a wonderful feeling

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I've had several moments of that nature, but one in particular that I will share is the one where me and my late partner had decided to go to our favorite park and have a picnic and while he was driving, we stopped at the red light and this car full of women were in the car next to us. These women started making passes at the both of us and all of a sudden, he looked at me with this grin on his face and said to me.."You will never know how much I love you, but I am going to take this moment to show how proud I am to have you as my man." and then he reached over and started kissing me fully on the mouth in the presence of those women. I was startled initially, but when he kept it up, I became very aware and accepting of being a proud gay man. Surprisingly, the women started clapping and making "aww" noises which I did not expect.

3. Reikokuna

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    September 2014. The month that I finally accepted myself full stop. Took me 25 years to find the door. Due to events when I was a child I was so far in the closet I lost the door. Any mention of gay, even the slightest thing and I would feel disgusted and ashamed. But in September I met some really awesome friends who were extremely supportive, and for the first time in my left I felt worth something, I felt happy. For the first time since I was 11 I was completely happy with who I was/am. Never looked back! Still could not be happy and would not change a thing (besides I need to get my hair done).

4. GayPugs

I've never really been ashamed of being lesbian...but I felt really ashamed of being Genderfluid and eventually I just realized...what's the point of feeling ashamed?! I'm a normal, functionally, smart, nice, decent-mannered person. Feeling like a different gender than I was born does not make me bad or disgusting or evil.

5. Formality

I don't think so. I know I embrace what is me more than I've ever done before and I love who I am. But I more than often supress myself because of what other people might think of me.

I'd love to be more open about myself. But it is exhausting. Sometimes I just sit in my room and breathe heavily while listening to music to curate myself. It is scary to be yourself, and it is really, really exhausting.