1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay/bi/trans, ever completely accepted?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lnamae, Aug 5, 2016.

1. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Lately I've been wondering if LGBT people will ever be completely accepted or treated as "normal". Mostly because I've been watching a lot of LGBT media from around the world and there seem to be reoccurring problems that we all face - we can be scared to love, afraid of ourselves, even hating ourselves, fighting against a society that doesn't see us as "normal", we get called perverts, are sometimes cut off by family and friends, some of us are afraid and alone, some of us are even punished.

I'd like to think that society will change. That the struggles that LGBT people are going through now are temporary and will one day be in the past and something that we don't have to worry about, but at the same time when it comes to society in general I'm pretty pessimistic. I feel like we're only going to obtain equality and acceptance to some extent, but it's never really going to get there. I hate that I feel like this though. Yeah, more countries are accepting same-sex marriage and yeah, homophobia might be getting less *in places. But I think of things like, okay for example, racism. Because of bigoted, stupid people I just don't know if it will ever go away and it gets me down to think that homophobia will also never disappear, not just in my lifetime, but ever.

I don't know... I want to know how other people feel. I guess I'm looking for a bit of hope, although I'm not that hopeful.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gender, race, orientation... Humanity won't know what to what to do when everyone is finally equal on a global scale.

I feel like it could change, but only in several centuries. People indoctrinate dangerous ideas into vulnerable children and it sort of becomes and endless cycle. Unless children were to be raised only by sane individuals it's going to take a while, especially considering how many more children the crazies seem to have than average people.

Say we finally achieve worldwide equality in a few hundred years... people would probably attempt to colonize other worlds merely for the sake of having a place where they can discriminate, and therefore feel superior. :eusa_doh:

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think so, but it will definitely take a long time. As you said, race is super important to people, and that movement was decades ago.

4. iiimee

Obviously not. Sorry, but I think it's way too easy to slip into ignorance for the world to ever be truly rid of it- not unless our population is 10 people or something crazy.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope so. That sounds so wonderful...

6. Jellal

Nope. It's impossible. So long as we have free thinking minds, there is going to be someone out there, probably a lot of people, who have reasons to hate you. And people who "don't accept you" are WAY more common than that! But there are lots of things you wouldn't be accepted by someone for (race, religion, any number of personal behaviors and/or beliefs) and sexuality/gender just scratches the surface there.

7. White Knight

As long as there are religious bigots, unfortunately no.

Sometimes I think they even hate themselves but too stupid to realize that. :grin:

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In your country, region or area? Can be likely. Globally? Never.

In the United States we don't have slavery but we still have tensions between races and subconscious racist thoughts. Even to this day, slavery is still common pratice in some parts of the world.

Now will being LGBT ever be accepted by western culture? I can see it happening. It will take time but all progress does. Being anti-semetic in the United States and just being flat out racist isn't socially acceptable. That doesn't mean that there's not going to be people who are still racist.

Look at it this way. In the USA (or Australia for your sake), there will be a time were the super-majority of Aussies or Americans view being LGBT as okay. There will always be a small set that isn't okay with it but they will be marginalized like those who hate lefties, or racial minorities.

#8 Geek, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016