1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited activities for LGBT Minors

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CuddleCope, Aug 8, 2016.

1. CuddleCope

Hi there. So I'm a minor and a pretty introverted one but when I do want to go do something, I never know what to do. I want to be more involved in this community but all i've heard as hangouts for this community are gaybars and Pride. I missed Pride and i'm a minor so I can't exactly just stroll into a bar.

So I was thinking about creating a small group in my area so LGBT teens can hang out and do activities while being safe, not pressured and can have fun at the same time. But I'm not exactly sure how I should do this or if it would even be worth the trouble. I want it to be a safe spot for LGBT teens to talk and have fun. Kind of like this website but with activities, I guess it would sorta be like a club. But I don't want to force anyone to be "out" if they aren't ready. The concept seems hard to execute with trying to protect non-outed teens and be welcoming but protecting its members. I don't want someone to come in and say that they are curious or questioning and just is rude and mean to other members.

I also know that there are clubs at surrounding schools that are "LGBT + Ally" which I should probably look at first before I think of creating one. But I also homeschool and do things during the day (by day I mean early afternoon, because I wake up at noon) so I might not want to do an afterschool club. Especially since any public school makes me uncomfortable and stressed. I don't know how safe I would feel being myself in a brand new high school where I don't know anyone.

Any opinions?:confused:

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This sounds fucking cute and I wish there had been something like this near me these past couple of years. I think you should do it. The only way to police rudeness is to police rudeness. There should be a code of conduct and strict consequences for breaking them. You can get thrown out of any club for breaking the rules, your club should be no different. You let everyone in on the premise that this is a safe space and they're here to take advantage of that and to sustain it and if they do anything to mess that up, you throw them out, or possibly they can have a couple of strikes or penalties first.

3. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might could organize something with pfflag. We have a pretty good group here in Houston, and I think it was started with pfflag.

4. AKTodd

You could check out the GLBT Center of Denver (since that's the location you give). They host a youth group for ages 11-21.

Their website can be found HERE.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you were to do it, you would need to be very cautious about who to let in if its a safe space.. People are awful sometimes.. Apart from the that it is a great idea and if done well it will be an amazing contribution to the community :slight_smile: