1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexuality vs. Homosexuality.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 15, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

This is NOT an attack on bisexuals, at all. Just pointing that out before I begin.

I know a lot of people act "straight" when they're in high school in an attempt to avoid discrimination, but how many of you who are gay/lesbian said they were bi, as opposed to gay in high school, for the same reason?

For me, this might sound weird, but in high school I called myself bi, and it wasnt till a year after i graduated that I accepted myself as gay and not bi.

Am i the only one who has done this? Or is there anyone else here who did the same thing?

Curiosity killed the cat, i guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Shevanel

This is actually pretty common. Don't worry about it, there ARE true bisexuals out there though (like myself and plenty others on this site), which I'm sure you know.

3. jsandoval1192

Well i know that im truly bisexual.
    but i still act "straight" unfortunately -_-

4. Myke

Myke Guest

I thought i was bisexual til i was 15 but I didn't really come out during high school.

5. MusicIsLife

Lol, o rly? Ive met a couple actual bisexuals, which is pretty rare where im at, to be honest. Mostly gay men and bi-curious females.

6. Shevanel

I don't act straight or anything, I act the way I am. which people perceive as straight because when i tell everyone i'm Bi, they're all surprised and stuff. But I see that as good. I like surprising people :slight_smile:

7. MusicIsLife

when i indentified as Bi, everyone assumed I was gay, so when I finally did come out, everyone was like "Yeah, and...?" it was pretty funny.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There was about a week-long period where I was still trying to reason with myself, where my thoughts were something like "Okay, if I can't be straight, I can at least try to be bisexual". It didn't work, and I finally gave up and accepted my sexuality.

9. sean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At first I thought I was bi, until I realized that I only got emotionally attached to girls, and not physically. I still tell people that I'm bi because for some reason, they seem to accept that better than saying I'm gay.

10. Greggers

I think its so common because its one last attempt by the desperate minds of gay people to hold on to a chance to have a quote on quote "normal life".

It goes something like this "Well, ok, i know i have attractions to the same sex, but maybe i still can be attracted to the opposite sex as well. I dont want to give up that normal life, so ill call myself a bisexual"

Oddly, this never happened to me. It was always "My teachers told me homosexuality will go away when i really try hard, so thats what ill do" and, well, a few suicide attempts (that was me "trying really hard" like they told me to) later, i am now accepting of my being gay.

But like joey said, Bisexuality does exist for sure.

11. jsandoval1192

The sad thing is that im partially ashamed of being bi, i hardly like talking about it. I try to ignore my feelings when im attracted to guys but sometimes there comes a guy where i cant ignore my feelings. But i know im bi because im physically and emotionally attached to girls and guys.

12. riddlerno1

It wast until i left school and the fact that i didnt want to be totally gay that i identified as bi. However, it is much harder to lie to yourself and that didnt last too long.

13. gaius

gaius Guest

i have no idea hahahaha

14. tazz

tazz Guest

Bisexuals certainly exist, I just feel most of them are heavily gay-learning (imo)

15. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think that true bisexuality definitely exists (along the whole continuum), but also that a lot of people pass through thinking or saying they're bisexual before they realise or admit they're gay.

Can I say that it is actually quite hard being bisexual, because very few people actually believe you. They think you're either straight trying to be "trendy" and attract men by saying you have a "bisexual side", or they think you're gay but not admitting it.

"Am I actually just gay?" is a question that goes through my head again and again. But the fact is, the fact that I have, in the past (if not now) felt attracted to men means that I feel certain that, overall in my life at least, I am bisexual - even if now I seem to mainly be gay.

But I feel that a lot of people seem to have this view that who a bisexual person settles down with shows who they "really" are. ie., if I were to settle with a man, then me being bisexual would be seen as me being curious or confused; but if I were to settle down with a woman, then me being bisexual would be seen as me trying not to admit that I'm gay. Can't win!

But I do think that most people who are actually bisexual have, at some point, wondered if they are in fact just gay. To many of my friends I've come out as gay before bisexual, because somehow it's easier to come out as gay - otherwise people don't believe me!

16. ccdd

ccdd Guest

They are actually lots of people who call themselves bi. Amongst those I've met are:

a) those who are truly bisexual (in whatever degree) and would consider a relationship with either sex

b) those who are truly bisexual (in whatever degree) but would not have a relationship with someone of the same (or, in some cases, opposite) sex

c) especially when you're younger - girls who say they're "bi" but actually aren't, and would totally freak if a girl came onto them. They also like to flirt with girls who actually are gay or bi, but are, in fact, straight. (I've known several girls like this, who, now they're older, have apologised, explaining that they thought it was a "trendy" thing to do.). Obviously many of these may actually be bisexual or have been confused, but some aren't.

d) Those who are gay and passing through thinking or hoping they're bi.

It sounds totally ridiculous, because I always assume that people know their thoughts and feelings better than I do, but sometimes when a girl says she's bi she actually isn't, and when you push them, they admit it's just an attention thing. Does anyone else get this? And does it annoy anyone else??? It means I've had people thinking I'm doing this for attention or to be trendy, as well as people think I'm just not admitting that I'm actually gay. Grrrr!!

17. twilight lover

yer im thirteen and going throug the same thing as wot u said

18. -Michael-

I first came out to my best friend as bi

I was just in SERIOUS denial over being gay.

Having a wife and kids is what i thought was living a life.
    Anything less and you've failed.

19. BeautifulStranger

I first said I was 'bi' when I was in the process of coming out
    I knew I was gay, but I knew that by saying 'Bi' people might have an easier time accepting me

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as bi first because at the time, that's what I thoght I was. I liked guys when I was way younger, and tried to hang on to that to convince myself that I wasn't totally gay.