1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on GSAs or LGBT School Clubs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LeticiaTheLesbo, Aug 9, 2016.

1. LeticiaTheLesbo

With the school year about to start again and my mom beginning to nag me for not being in clubs last year I decided to start thinking about maybe joining my schools GSA (gay straight alliance) I was just wondering what thoughts everyone had on them. I don't want to become a person who's sexuality is more thana who they are if that makes sense. I don't want gay to be the first thing people think when they see me so that's one reason I haven't joined in the past. Any overall thoughts on these?

2. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking of joining the GSA at my school when the school year starts. I don't think gay would be the first thing people think about when they see you unless you were completely dressed in rainbow with a lot of LGBT signs. Besides it's called The Gay 'Straight' Alliance. Just joining a club wouldn't even let people know you're in it unless you were decked out in accessories or you were in a everyone knows everyone and everyone's business school/place.

3. Ryu

Ryu

My school doesn't have one and if we did everybody who went would probably... Well, you get the idea.

4. BreakinDaylight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a part of my school's GSA, and it's quite a nice club. We keep membership confidential, so no one outside of the club knows you're a member unless you tell them.
    My school's GSA is a small group, at least 12 people.

It's a safe space, and everyone there respects my pronouns and name. GSA was the first place I was really able to be out.

Last year was my school's first year having a GSA, so we didn't do much. I have high hopes for this year though. :slight_smile:

5. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

I like the idea of a GSA in schools because it makes a safe place for pretty much anyone to be themselves and not be judged. My school had one until the principal took it down due to one of the members parents asking why their child would be going to such a club.

We have a new principal this year, though he's a christian pastor, so we are gonna see how it goes this year.

But I do recommend joining one because it let's you meet more people like you. So go have fun with it.

6. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't wait to join when school starts! :grin: A lot of my friends are joining and it's going to be awesome!!

7. iiimee

^_^ I plan on going to my school's first GSA meeting when it happens, just to see what it's like. It's actually called a "Gender Sexuality Alliance" at my school, so transgender people are totally welcome to talk about trans-related things. :/ I am not sure if I'll stay in it though- I'll see if I like it and if it doesn't interfere with the wrestling I want to do. If it doesn't, I'll definitely give it a shot.

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't really come out until my senior year and by then, I was too busy taking care of other things than to join the GSA at my high school but I intend on joining the LGBT group at my college.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love my school's GSA! ^.^ I would totally suggest joining~!

10. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in one and I love it! That's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most when school starts again. I hope my sister will join too.

11. LeticiaTheLesbo

Thanks guys! I'll plan on going to the first meeting and atleast checking it out!!