1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For asexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Libra Neko, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are asexual, or at least going through an asexual phase like I am, do you know why? I figure it's because I've been on psychotropic pills so long, I've lost my sex drive. I used to think because I didn't want to have sex with men that I must be a lesbian. Then I had an experience with a woman and realized I don't want to have sex with women either. It is a little confusing and I'm hesitant to tell people in my life, for fear they'll think I'm weird.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asexual isn't the same thing as sex drive. It's possible for asexuals to be horny and have high sex drives, but they aren't attracted to either gender and would only masturbate with no fantasies. Likewise it is possible for hetero/homo/bisexuals to not have a sex drive due to enviornmental factors.

The question is are you attracted to men and/or women? Because if you are sexually attracted to them, but don't want or enjoy sex, it can be due to medication and/or depression.

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am romantically attracted to men and women. I am currently not sexually attracted to anyone.

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sex has no appeal for me. Having sex in my mind seems absolutely disgusting, and like it wouldn't give me any form of pleasure. Like, when I think about it, I feel nothing but discomfort and disgust. Even with all of my partners, no matter how much romantic attraction I had for them, I've never had sexual attraction. It just doesn't happen.
    It's a bit hard to describe for me outside of that, I suppose.

5. Brytaleith

If you're not sexually attracted to anyone, congratulations, you're asexual.
    It's possible to be asexual as a result of medication, imo at least, because it's likely that such people might face the same problems as other asexuals. (Also like, fluid orientations and everything but anyway).
    Don't worry about weirdness. We're all already weird.

6. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True that.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we are using the widely accepted definition of asexual, then asexuality is a hardwired, unchangeable sexual orientation in the same way that hetero and homosexuality is. It is a complete lack of interest in sex, sexual arousal, and sexual behavior. There are other definitions promoted by a tiny-but-loud group of people, but these alternative definitions are not grounded in any research, study, science, or anything that remotely provides for any means of having the definition have any meaning. This means, also, that you ask a bunch of different people and get completely different answers, which really isn't helpful. So I suggest avoiding these unrecognized uses/definitions, because they really serve no purpose in helping people to clarify where they are.

It is quite common for medications of various types to suppress sexual desire. However, Those who are on medication (or have some other transient reason for lack of sexual desire/attraction/arousal) are not asexual, at least if we are using the widely used and recognized definition. Nobody feels sexual when they're down with the flu or food poisoning; we wouldn't define someone sick with food poisoning as asexual and so, too, defining someone as asexual because of other transient experiences isn't really an accurate use of that term.

The truth is, ordinary sexual attraction and arousal always has been on a continuum affected by a variety of factors: age, hormomes, mood, stress, life events and the like. Saying some one is "gray this" or "asexual that" or "aromantic this" is applying additional, unnecessary labels to what is already covered within the ordinary, normal spectrum of human sexual expression.

So, for the OP, it seems likely that the medication is impacting your ability to accurately assess where your sexual attractions and arousal lie, but I think it is safe to say that you likely aren't asexual, at least using the most widely recognized terminology.

What is most likely is that there is something -- medication, family-of-origin issues, depression or anxiety, or other issues -- that are interfering with your normal ability to experience sexual attraction and arousal. This is something that, depending on your age, often resolves itself with time. Otherwise, it is also something effectively addressed with therapy.

I completely understand the need to have certainty about who you are and where your attractions lie. And I think you'll get there... it just may take working through the complicating factors first before you have a clear picture.

8. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I disagree that sexuality is fixed. My whole life, I've moved around the Kinsey scale. I've honestly been more into men, or more into women, at different times in my life. So I believe that I can be asexual at this point. I have no interest in having sex and never feel sexual desire.

9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Chip

Questions 1-3 might have the same answer, but I couldn't tell so I put all of them in.

If a person has been on medication their entire life, and has never experienced sexual attraction/desire/arousal their entire life - then what do you suggest they call themselves?

If they have never experienced sexual attraction due to the medication then they cannot know if they would be hetero/bi/homo without the medication - and which label would they choose [and it would have to be a choice since they couldn't know]?

If there was no stopping of the medication, then they would be permanently without sexual attraction - why get them not to put on a label that might, yes, be inaccurate, but they couldn't know anything else?

Or what if they were biologically asexual, but the use of medicine has made people think otherwise?

''Fixed with therapy'' - other than the reasons (family abuse, medication etc.) for ''being asexual'' - why does someone need to go to therapy just to give themselves a hetero/bi/homo label just because they haven't found one yet?

#9 Secrets5, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  10. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no idea. As far as I can think back, I've never had interest for sex.

11. okiebean

Honestly, all sexual orientations have fixed definitions, but they can also be flexible. Really by identifying as asexual, it all just depends on if a person experiences sexual attraction or not and if they have no desire for sex. If no, then it is all up to the individual whether they choose to identify as asexual. With all fixed labels comes flexibility because not everyone may fit into the term asexual whether it is because of medication or other factors. In the end, no one can decide what you want to label yourself as but you because you're the only one who knows your complete thoughts.

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's currently an appropriate label, but "fluid" is probably better, in the sexuality department. And definitely biromantic.

13. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because currently [some of] my friends are figuring out who/what they like in a person, and they tell me "Oh they're SOOO cute." or hot, attractive etc and I've just never been able to understand that feeling. I can't look at someone and feel something or react in a way. Sex doesn't sound like it has a point, and seems rather unfulfilling to me from the details (I didn't ask for) from my friends. It seems uncomfortable and I just? I'd rather cuddle.

Plus I still don't understand what sexual attraction is tbh I've looked it up multiple times but I've no clue.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I think it's unlikely anyone would have been on the sort of medication that would suppress sexual desire/arousal for their entire life. Now... if that were the case, then I'd suggest working with the therapist or psychiatrist who put the person on medication to try and wean off of it in order to have the opportunity to understand what is going on.

Absent that, one could certainly use the label 'asexual', but it would not be technically accurate (at least, according to the widely accepted definition.)

If they have never experienced sexual attraction due to the medication then they cannot know if they would be hetero/bi/homo without the medication - and which label would they choose [and it would have to be a choice since they couldn't know]?

You're basically looking for scenarios to prove a point. Anyone can call themselves any label they wish. If I want to call myself "unicornsexual", nobody's going to tell me I can't. You want to call yourself asexual, but don't meet the widely accepted definition... go for it. Just realize that it's not necessarily helpful if the label isn't being correctly applied.

I don't think I've ever used the word "fixed", nor would I condone the use of that word or anything that implies it since I don't see people who go to therapy as "broken."

I would suggest that under normal circumstances, these things are pretty clear. If there isn't clarity, then very often, working with a therapist can be really helpful to basically hold a mirror up to yourself and have someone help you get clarity on what you're experiencing and feeling, explore whatever underlying issues might be standing in the way of being able to experience emotion and vulnerability fully, and fully understand yourself.

15. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in therapy for 24 years. My sexuality just fluctuates endlessly.

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say if you have been in therapy 24 years and find your sexuality fluctuating, then 'fluid' is probably a good label. :slight_smile:

I'd also have some concern (absent some very unusual circumstances) about what's going on in therapy if you have been in therapy for 24 years. Therapy is not supposed to be permanent, and a competent therapist, if s/he is seeing a client for more than 3 or 4 years will either seek supervision or recommend d a client see a different therapist. But many therapists are reluctant to do that because it becomes 'comfortable'. This is one of the most common ethical failures that one sees with therapists.

17. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, it's pretty common for people with my disorder, schizoaffective disorder, to stay in therapy their whole lives. I even know some who go to an outpatient program year after year; I don't know why their insurance allows this though.
    I guess I'll go with "fluid" as the best word for my sexuality. It is true that I don't feel desire for myself now but I can still enjoy reading a sexy story or watching a steamy movie.