1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is not what I signed up for

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FuelsMySong, Aug 10, 2016.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I am doing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at a university.

Seeing as I am doing an Arts degree, I am quite astounded at how much math and science I am doing. Right now, finals are coming up and I honestly feel so stupid. The funny thing is most people in other faculties would probably find it laughable that I am struggling with such an "easy" degree. However, there is so much stuff to cover and I don't even know what to do. :bang:

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hang in there!!!...you can do it...Trust Me...!!! I know exactly what you are saying because a few years ago, I obtained my Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Applied Behavior Analysis) and yes...I was really surprised about the substantial amount of math courses that I had to take because not only have I not dealt with a Math course since high school but furthermore, math is not one of my strongest suits. However, I did hire a math tutor to help me get through those courses which was a really big help. Last year, I decided to obtain my Masters' Degree and what do you know...more math with Statistics and to make matters worst, I had already taken the Statistics course while working on my Bachelor of Science. People assume that this is an easy degree to pursue but they are totally wrong...like you say...there is some much to cover that they do not have a clue. What I'm trying to say is that when I decided to go back to school, my doctors did not think it was a good idea to do so and they did not recommend it. However, it was something I wanted to at least make an attempt to and furthermore, when someone tells me that I can't do something...I am determined to prove them wrong and look at me now...I did it...and so can you...hang in there...JS

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that it's a "Bachelor of Arts" doesn't mean that it's not a rigorous field of study. They may have called it as such because it's a social science, with less in the way of formulas and special equipment, but people's behavior is still governed by chemistry and anatomy as much as their environment.

And I hate to break it to you, but all such "soft" sciences like psychology are heavily dependent on statistics. Whereas a physicist can say "force=mass*acceleration" as a fact that's always true, the psychologist says "most people (subject to some stimulus) will (react in some fashion.)" It's all a game of proportions and probabilities analyzed with statistical measures.

Good on you for sticking with it though. Doing things we don't think we can do is the only way we grow. :slight_smile:

4. StefaniPurrr

I would do one or two tougher classes over the summer break so I could concentrate on them and not worry about a full fall schedule with six classes. Yea, it meant I stayed on campus more, but I got it done! Very proud of my college degrees!

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bachelors of Arts and Bachelors of Science is only part of the degree title and dictates the focus of the coursework. It doesn't indicate the rigor of the coursework, that is uniform throughout. I got a BS in math, that means I had to take more math courses. If I stuck with getting a BA, I would have to take more language courses.

My friend is doing psychology as well as my brother, the amount of math and science they have to take is not what I have imagined. A lot of statistics plays into psychology, and naturally, a bunch of sciences play in the soft science. Also, let's not forget the fact that your University probably has a core curriculum that everyone has to complete in order to get their degree. So, stick with it, don't let it overwhelm you, and you'll be glad when it's all over.

#5 Randy, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Psychology is a science and it is not an easy degree. If anyone's laughing at you, they should go take a few psychology courses themselves.

The first thing you might want to do is think about whether this is really what you want to be studying. If you weren't expecting this much science from a science degree, what were you hoping for? Is psychology (BA or BS) the best way to do that? If you're not sure, look at the list of courses you have to take for graduation. Talk to other students and see what their plans are for their degree. If not, look into other majors, their course lists, and career prospects to see if there's something that matches your goals.

7. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel like I'm too far in my degree to switch majors. I am graduating after a few more semesters.

8. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And that's even more reason for you to hang in there..I went through the same feelings as you during my time at school...it happens...but if you come that far...it would in my opinion foolish for you to give up now or to even consider changing majors...you can do it...it will get better and over before you know it..these months are flying by like crazy...look...the year is almost over and it seems as if it just began not too long ago...