1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landlord and Loud, Inconsiderate Tenant Issues

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JonSomebody, Aug 14, 2016.

1. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After my partner passed away, I made the attempt to remain in the place that we had when were together for awhile but there were just too many memories that overtook me trying to move forward and furthermore, since his passing, my anxiety disorder had gotten worse after making good progress and I even began to have problems again with my throat as far as speaking again. One of my closest friends knew this real estate lady and he told her about me and she told him that she had a place that was on the market that she felt would be perfect for me which was this place.

When I first moved in, it was managed by another property company who were excellent to their tenants. My place was not within the core of all the tenants that resided in the building. It was a huge basement loft that was situated between the laundry room and a couple of the storage rooms and utility closet. In other words, I did not have any tenants near me ...I was all by myself which I loved. The place was so spacious and roomy with lots of closets that I could fit my bedroom set, my desktop computer and table, a television with TV stand and a stereo with huge speakers in the bedroom and a huge walk in closet. That's how spacious it is. The former managers liked me so much and thought I was a great tenant that every year when renewal time came around in order to keep me, they would not increase my rent due to being a good tenant.

To my surprise, several years ago, they sent out notice to everyone explaining that they had sold the building to the company now that manages it and the results have not been good. The building is pretty old and I am the only tenant in the building who has carpet in every room where everyone else have hardwood floors. As of now, I have been a resident for the longest than any other tenant in the building. However, whenever something goes wrong and you submit a work order, the Maintenance Dept. do not complete in a timely manner. For example, in November of last year, I was renewing my lease and since I knew I had the upper hand so to speak, before I signed the papers, I had a list of improvements that was needed. One of the complaints was to fix the stove. This began to a long standing problem with a lot of repeated actions taken over the next few months until they finally realized that I needed a new stove altogether. Within the last week, my refrigerator motor has went out on me and it was fixed by maintenance the next day. However, the problem has come back this morning and I had to submit another work order but this time since Maintenance is not working on Sundays, I have to wait until Monday.

A female tenant moved in right around that time up above me and initially she started off to be very respectable until several months later, she got herself a man in her life. He turned out to be very loud, an alcoholic and very heavy foot when walking which sounds as if an earthquake is taking place. Mind you, I never saw these people and if I had, I did not know who they were but because of their antics on a daily basis, they make themselves known to me. A few months ago, they began having extremely loud sex which occurred in the really early hours of the morning ....around the hours of 2:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. which preceded with a loud conversation between the two of them. Also, she loved to run her vacuum cleaner which is also very loud but she would run this thing early in the morning as well but what I couldn't understand is why she was running a vacuum when she had all hardwood floors?

In order to reciprocate whenever these incidents took place, I would crank up the volume on my TVs or my music. Once this happens, they would get quiet but that did not last long..they would continue to do the same thing the next day and the next. Plus, I had to deal with the heavy foot stomping walking back and forth from every room of her unit not just from him but she got in on his behavior as well. I finally made a complaint to management who informed me that I was not the only one in the building who made a complaint against them and she would take care of the matter because she would rather keep me as a tenant instead of them. Things were okay for awhile. The only thing that has changed has been the loud sex noises. However, everything else still exist.

Now, my lease is coming up for renewal in a couple of months and although I love the location and the apartment altogether, I think its time for me to start looking for a new place because apparently the property manager is not too keen on evicting this lady and her man probably because she doesn't want to lose their income..but then again...she will be losing mine and whomever else due to these tenants' actions and my income has been very consistent as well as never being late so I am credible. What you guys think I should do? Appreciate all responses...JS

#1 JonSomebody, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps, if the money is important to the property manager, tell them if they don't leave - you will. Which will work out the same in terms of money.

You could go over and politely talk to the couple yourself, perhaps with a couple of the other tenants who have complaints.

3. Nobo

Both great ideas

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UPDATE: First of all, I want to thank you Secrets5 for your wonderful advice, I really appreciate it. I did what you suggested and it turned out that the couple of tenants that I spoke to in regard to this issue were too afraid to support me or back me up with meeting with the property manager with their complaints. It just so happens that I am pretty friendly with a few of the maintenance guys on staff and one of them apparently went to the property manager's assistant about my complaint. I got a call from her earlier today where she wanted to see if everything was okay with me. That was my opening to speak out to her about why I was complaining as well as what I was dealing with. She went on to tell me that this was a "sticky situation" to deal with. I then preceded to tell her that I'm not sure what is their protocol, but although I do love the place and the location, however, in order to not go through this anymore and to stop feeling like a prisoner in a place where I have to schedule my time around their schedule in regards to sleep, visitors, etc. then I will start looking for another place since my lease is up for renewal in a couple of months. She then interjected with..."No...we don't want you to leave...do you still like the place?" ... I responded with yes...but I do not like the circumstances that I am subjected to dealing with in order to stay here. She ended the conversation by saying that the Property Manager was on vacation and she will contacted the Director and the Property Manager to discuss and get back with me.

What she don't know is that I am pretty friendly with the Director of Housing here in City Hall and I contacted him to discuss this issue. He told me that noisy neighbors who conduct like these neighbors that I am having problems with are subjected to eviction according to the City's law ordinance. He also told me that many times, its up to the landlord or property manager if they want to evict the neighbors and therefore, when she told me that it was a sticky situation, ...its not. Therefore, what he suggested is that I start looking for a new place but don't say anymore to the Property Manager. Just wait and see what they are going to do. He feels that more than likely, they will offer me a new place considering the fact that I have been a resident here for almost nine years and have not given them any problems and always paid my rent on time...So thanks again Secrets5:thumbsup:

#4 JonSomebody, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is always a tricky situation. It sounds like the floor that separates you lets too much sound through - rather than them being too noisy??

You can ask them to be quieter but that may not work. They are unlikely to stop having sex, or start tip-toeing around their apartment for your benefit.

If they move out you are likely to have similar issues with who moves in next.

So maybe the time has come to find somewhere new ... but draw up a list of things the flat must have. At the top of the list is soundproof structure.