1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theater; Tips for remembering Lines?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicNotes, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm currently in a camp for a week, and we have to perform a one act play by SATURDAY! We need to memorize our lines, build sets, make costumes, make props, and remember blocking. It's a short time and I HAVE done it before, but this time I have more lines. (Lots more) and does anyone have any good tips on how to remember? Way they remember piles of information??

Also some 'Break a leg!'s would be nice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. iiimee

I suggest two simple ways:

Read your script, give your script to a friend, and then try to act out all your parts in order, with your friend saying the other lines.

The other way, if you don't want to act every single second or have no friends, is flash cards. Write your lines down on flash cards, DON'T shuffle them, and don't even really look at them until you come to a part of the play you don't know. :/

I am not trying out for my school's fall play, but I might try out for my school's acapella. X_X I need to figure out the song I want to sing...

3. eMei

The best way for me to learn my lines is by reading a sentence from the script and then writing it down by memory on a piece of paper. Then it's rinse and repeat. If I'm feeling lazy I type them up rather than writing them, but to be honest physically writing them gets them into your head better. No one said learning lines was fun!

I agree with iiimee that flashcards are a handy way to learn them, too. I like to bring a set of flashcards out with me so I can read them from memory then check to see if they're right when I'm out and about. Flashcards are a really good way to learn your part when you're on the move imo and having them saves you from having to lug around your script with you, especially if you only want to learn a little part of your script at a time.

Another handy way is by recording yourself saying the other person's lines on your phone but leaving a gap in between for you to say your lines. Once again, it's rinse and repeat for this. Like with making flashcards, you can then learn your lines when you're on the go too. I don't usually do this, but if you want to you can put your headphones in and learn them on the bus for example.

Break a leg! I'm sure you'll do great.

4. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wing this kinda stuff

5. LeticiaTheLesbo

Well I haven't done theater since 5th grade, now entering my sophomore year of high school. But I have had to give my fair share of memorized presentations. I have a few tips for memorization of speaking lines and stuff.

1. Write them down! I would write down my lines 10x each atleast when I was in theater.
    2. Record yourself saying the lines and just have that play in the background while you do tasks, and then focus on it alone for a few times a day.
    3. Say the lines aloud 10x each then move onto the next line.

Hope this helps. Break a leg mate!

6. StefaniPurrr

Well, I actually have some experience in this as I have been in a few plays. As suggested above, write the lines down and practice, practice, practice. It's the same process one would take studying for a college exam. However, don't be afraid to ab lid once you prove you have the lines down, that's worked for me. :slight_smile:

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The techniques I use are to read and repeat the lines over and over, often breaking longer lines into chunks. I also memorize cue lines so I know exactly when to say my lines.

Another method I use is putting the lines to the tune of a song that I like, or simply to a rhythm. I once had a really long line in a performance of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and I sang it to the tune of "What's This?" from The Nightmare Before Christmas a few times and managed to get it.

Break a leg and have fun!!