1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not literally (Times where you were too literal).

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever been in a situation where someone said something and you accidentally mistook it to be literal? I have. I mean, don't get me wrong- I get metaphors and phrases, and use them sometimes but I have also had moments where I've messed up on this.

For instance, one time someone wanted to know if I would date them, so they asked "Will you go out with me?" and I asked "Where?". :eusa_doh:

I try. :lol:

Anyone else got any funny stories of this happening?

:eusa_danc

#1 Canterpiece, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do this all the time.

Like when people say, "I'm going to lay something down" I'll be waiting to see what they lay down or...

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was at work and my aunt [whose a manager there] asked me "What are you doing?" whilst I was going past the till and I told her "Putting a tissue in the bin, why?". And she said "I was only joking".

I'm not sure why or how asking "What are you doing?" can be a joke, it's just a question. Nothing funny and it sounded like she wasn't monitoring my actions on the job.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, I hate when people do that. They'll ask "What on Earth are you doing?" and I'll respond and then they'll have a go at me for responding to a "clearly" rhetorical question. I get in this situation too many times. :eusa_doh:

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today someone asked me "Is it me, or is it that whenever you get out that game, half the family seem to argue about the rules?" and I sat there working out if the people that did argue about the rules in my family made up a half or not. I said no, because only a maximum of 3 or 4 people would argue with me about the rules, and a half of the family members I know would be 4.5. I guess you could consider 0.5 a child, but since there were no children arguing, it did not reach an overall half.

Turns out he didn't actually mean a half, he was just making a point about how no one really knew the rules of this board game.

#5 Canterpiece, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017