1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A word of advice to the younger members.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Mar 17, 2009.

1. starfish

We have quite a few folks here that are still in the teens. So I would like to pass along some advice to you.

Don't let your self get fat and out of shape.

I have been been a sloth my whole life and seriously overweight the past 10 years. I recently started working out and losing weight. I am really wishing I had taken better care of my self when I was younger. My body does not recover as quick as it did when I was 18. That would have been the perfect time to get in shape and just worry about maintaining it now.

I've never felt older than I do tonight. My whole body is sore and today at the gym was embarrassing. I couldn't lift jack squat.

2. Ionless

Hmm i guess, but you should also keep yourself in shape even if you're thin especially if you're weak like me :astonished:

3. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I was going to say the same thing that Ionless did...

In my case, I've always been quite thin... too thin in my view, but I know that if I want to change it I'll have to do a lot of exercise so as to gain some muscle and I'm not willing to do that at the moment. I went to the gym some time ago but only lasted two months :icon_redf.

4. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Damn.
    I thought this was going to be a post about punctuation and spelling.
    Don't fear the period. Use it.

But as to the actual topic, you've just motivated me to go back to sleep. You know, eight hours of sleep a night might begin to work in my favour when I try to exercise.

5. Emberstone

Well, at least you are making a effort. Dont worry about feeling embarressed about gyms. I am rail thin and tall, a awkward combination. I felt self conciouse working out at the gym when I had a summer membership because thats just what gyms do to people; makes you feel self conciouse about the things you are working to change.

I am getting ready to move out on my own, and my parents are planning on buying/helping to pay for a total gym. I used to scoff, but then I tried my brothers *he has a major in physical therapy and health sciences to go with his psychology major*, and it actually is a effective machine if you can drop the 300-400 bucks to get a worthwhile model. if you feel really self conciouse about it, maybe you should consider starting a excercise routine at home. a few weights, meybe a bench, or a total gym can help with strength and conditioning, and a treadmill, or starting a running program can help you manage your weight and work on changing your metabolism with a clean diet.

I started out with free weights and a dumbell/barbell set that uses them. Barrowed a bench from my brother's that he wasnt using which gave me more moves that I could preform, and I just worked out at my apartment 3 days a week.

unfortunately, when i moved home, I ended up getting out of the habit. but I plan to get right back into it after i move out, back to my apartment, and get settled in my classes this summer.

6. Just Adam

starfish where were u 10 years ago when i needed this advice lol im in the same boat always have been really lol but im gonna get in shape too so i can hit the scene and have some fun xD

stick with it youll soon be lifting cars and running faster than a speeding train :grin: ... or falling off a treadmill weve all been there though :S

good luck

7. Lychee

Thanks for this advice :slight_smile: It inspired me to actually exercise today!! I hate sport and physical stuff, lol, so I had a go of the skipping rope for 15 mins, and went for a jog around the block, but hey, it's a start :slight_smile:

8. Just Adam

thats good exercise lychee next time go for a jog around the block while skipping hehe xD

9. Lychee

Hahahha, I'd look like the biggest weirdo. People would think I was 10... well, they already do, but they'd think I was even younger than I look :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I LOVE skipping

10. Just Adam

i never did just the music the made us do it to like cascada i would not pay attention and fall flat on me face :|

11. Lychee

I find it fun exercise. Lol, coz it doesn't seem like you're actually burning calories but you are!! :grin::grin::grin: Excitement, much?

12. Janvier

Good advice, I'll start working out again next week :slight_smile:
    One of my biggest fears is putting on weight, not such a good thing because I sometimes lose a lot of weight since I don't eat much..

Just don't give up ! You'll have a smoking body soon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Just Adam

wish i had a smoking body

theres a fat guy wow hes let himself go and theres me " OH MY GOD ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US " .... now im picturing jimbo and ned shooting me oh well :slight_smile:

i was usless at skipping when i did pay attention i think i could do 4 yes read it 4 jumpety jumps a personal best haha :grin:

14. Hoppip

Oh, yes, and also:
    Don't smoke! Not even for only two years!​

It's been nearly a full two years since I've quit smoking (which also lasted two years) and I can't even run down a hall without losing my breath.

I'm pretty sure my lungs are about the size of dried up walnuts. And that's on a good day. >:|

But thanks for the heads up warning, Starfish. : ) I promise I'll get fit before I graduate high school! I already walk an enormous amount (I love walking, and I walk faster than like anyone ever). Maybe one day I'll pick up jogging/running? I do wanna get my bike fixed and bike... My dad is all up in that, he'd love to take me biking. ^_^

Anyway, sorry for my awkward rambling inner-monologue banter. Get fit, don't smoke, awesome! :'D

15. Just Adam

nice rambling nath :grin: lol im glad i never started smoking i think if i did if i stood up id pass out from lack of breath lol

16. Apocalypte

Very good advice. I put on an awful lot of weight in my early 20s through a sedentary lifestyle and too much bad food, and I really regret it. I've lost most of the weight, but I'll probably never be as slim as I was when I was 18.

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I agree. Childhood obesity is more than rampant. I made a topic like this a long time ago. I'm surprised at how easily people can stomach fast food. I rarely eat at McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's mainly because I mostly worked fast food and I know how the food is cooked, and whats in it. It's gross and I can't believe they're actually allowed to sell it and that people actually eat it. It helps with my diet.

Although I can't always avoid fast food, I do try to eat whats healthier on the menu. And believe me, it always costs more.

You'd be surprised how much money you'd save by not going there. And be even more surprised by how much weight you lose by just going out and simply walking for 30 mins.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think I'm at 65-70ish lbs lost now. And I'm not using any miracle drug, though I did think of using Alli. Though it may cause side effects, I still would use it. But, I have a natural aversion to pills so I avoid taking them when possible due to being over drugged when I was younger for epilepsy. But hey, it does work from what I hear, and FDA approved. Though, I don't want to put up with the side effects.

My advice is just change what you eat slowly over time. The biggest and I think the worst thing we consume which has absolutely no nutritional value at all is Soda, Coffee, and other sugary beverages. Although I know a lot of people will fight me on the coffee thing, soda should go. It's both a waste of money, and calories. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You should buy Crystal Light like me--it makes 2 quarts and if you buy the right flavors you'll probably like them. They're tasty and good. :slight_smile: And 5 calories per glass if I recall correctly.

But, just get exercise...if even you aren't dieting it will improve your physique and get you in shape which is something I think is very important. I could run for more than 30 seconds before being tired, out of breath, and drenched in sweat and I don't have that problem anymore. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I'm just rambling now so I'll quit.

18. Just Adam

im jealous of enigma now i want to lose 70 pounds :frowning2: maybe a 100 lol

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm going to keep going. I close to half way of what I want to lose. If I remember right, 210 or 220 is normal for someone 6'6 like me.

20. Just Adam

if i take a chainsaw down the middle then ill be the right size of someone about 6,1

bit like me mood at the moment lol