1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ+ definitions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sydney9teen88, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Sydney9teen88

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know some of us don't like to be defined or have labels, and that's totally cool, but I have a friend that I'm trying to explain there is an entirely different world beneath the typical gay/lesbian label. Honestly, I hadn't heard of some of these before Tumblr (bless you, Tumblr) but I'm not 100% clear on what each are. Yes, I've Googled many of the identities but it often just gives me a generic response. "Pan is someone who is someone who has attraction toward anyone, regardless of gender or identity. A pan is also used as a cooking tool over a stove top or open flame" blah blah. I'd rather hear some of the definitions from the real people who identify as whatever they identify as. It gives me a more relatable and personal to understand.

For instance.....what is Genderqueer? How is it different from Genderfluid? I'm guessing that's different from Androgynous? What is Heteroflexible? I read that it's mostly straight with some homosexual tendencies, but is that strictly sexual or romantic? What is CIS and Binary? Or non binary? Does that go back to Genderfluid?? There's soooo many more.

Also, when/how do you define yourself as queer vs gay? Or queer vs lesbian? I know gay is traditionally for men but it seems to be adaptable in recent years to women and other identities.

I'm not trying to step on any toes, I'm just really trying to learn and understand. And so I can educate my friend when she starts asking these kind of questions.

(&&&)

#1 Sydney9teen88, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *cracks knuckles* Let's do this.

I'm not too sure about genderqueer, but I believe it's a term that's just kinda...something that doesn't have a particular label.

Genderfluid is a specific term for someone who fluctuates between genders.

Androgynous as a word itself is a gender-neutral appearance, though this can also be used as a gender identity as well. Same definition, though a gender-neutral identity.

Heteroflexible I believe can be both sexual and romantic. Just depends on the person.

Cis is someone who identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth.

Binary genders are male and female. Nonbinary is anything outside of those two (like me!). Yes, genderfluid falls under the category of nonbinary.

And for the last one...preference, I believe.

Hope that clears up some things for ya, and if you have any more questions feel free to let me know. (Though, there are some things that I am still confused about as well, haha)

#2 AgenderMoose, Aug 20, 2016
  3. idontknow12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gay=Someone who's attracted to their own gender.
    Lesbian=A gay female
    Pansexual=Someone who's attracted to all genders and sexes
    Genderqueer=Someone who's neither males nor female.
    Genderqueer=A genderqueer whose gender changes or fluctuates
    Androgynous=Someone whose gender expression blurs the line between masculine and feminine, but isn't necessarily genderqueer.
    Heteroflexible=Someone who's usually attracted to the opposite gender, but occasionally is attracted to their own gender, is either romantically and/or sexually.
    Cis=Someone whose gender matches their biological sex
    Binary=Someone who's either male or female.
    Non-binary=Another word for genderqueer. Some prefer to be called non-binary, because they don't like to be called queer.
    Queer=Someone who's not straight and/or trans. Gay people are queer, but queer people don't have to be gay. They can be bi, trans, pan, genderqueer, etc. Basically a person who's a member of the LGBT+ community. But it can be used as a derogatory term.

DONE :grin:

#3 idontknow12, Aug 20, 2016
  4. BenFreeman

"A pan is also used as a cooking tool over a stove top or open flame"
    forgive me but I just cant stop laffing(-;

5. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obviously the best definition :roflmao:

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Genderqueer is a form of non-binary gender identity.

Genderfluid basically means you go between feeling like a man or a woman at different times.

Androgynous isn't supposed to be a gender identity, It's supposed to be a gender expression like masculine or feminine. Cis men and women can be androgynous. (Although some do use it as an identity)

Heteroflexible means you identify as straight but are open to same sex experiences. It can be anything from wanting to experiment sexually but not romantically, to romantically date but not being interested in sex, to having one true exception- a boyfriend/girlfriend of the same sex when you aren't interested in other people of that sex. So it applies to both. It's a 1 on the kinsey scale.

Cis means that your gender identity matches the biological sex you were assigned at birth. If I was born with a vagina and identify as a woman, I am cis. I don't have to follow gender roles or femininity to be cis either.

Binary is being either strictly a man or a woman. Both cis and trans people can be binary.

Non-binary is not feeling like either a man or a woman. It could be feeling like both genders, a third gender, or no gender at all.

Gay means homosexual or exclusively same sex attracted. It normally applies to men but some women use gay just because lesbian is so over sexualized as a word.

Queer is supposed to be an umbrella term for anyone 'unusual' or 'outside the norm' although we relate it to the LGBT community sexuality wise. Someone might identify as queer if they feel they can't fit in other labels (Such as not feeling exclusive enough to be gay, but not being into multiple genders enough to be bi).

Gay people can use queer to just say they're part of the LGBT community or even as a political statement, while other gay people view the term queer to be offensive or a slur they do not want to reclaim.

#6 Creativemind, Aug 20, 2016
  7. Sydney9teen88

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Right on, thanks for the responses everyone. It's actually cleared up some confusion and it's cool to see where everyone stands on it.

And I totally agree with women identifying as gay rather than lesbian, because it's so sexualized. My ex (a guy who was my beard that got out of control) often tried to capitalize on that as an opportunity for either a threesome, spectator sport, or setting up a camera because...quote... "you can't expect me to not want these things." After I'd find dozens and dozens and dozens of pages open on "lesbian sex". Ugh.